Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1006625 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #4225 on: February 25, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »
I know that I pay a higher sales tax and property tax rate than any other district in the city.
But, yes development around me is spurred by tax incentives. I get that. It's one of the reasons we are here.

is your sales tax higher than the plaza?  i thought we were the highest in the city.  not sure where i could find that out but at one point the kc star said we were the highest.

KC chamber has this data on their site... You'd have to add in TDD like plaza parking garages and streetcar etc. Then hotels get another sales tax... To come up with the final number. I believe downtown and plaza are in a dead heat.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: February 25, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »
i remember i bought a 2'fer at the plaza mcdonalds a several years ago and paid over .20 in tax and was wtf'd

I know that I pay a higher sales tax and property tax rate than any other district in the city.
But, yes development around me is spurred by tax incentives. I get that. It's one of the reasons we are here.

is your sales tax higher than the plaza?  i thought we were the highest in the city.  not sure where i could find that out but at one point the kc star said we were the highest.

KC chamber has this data on their site... You'd have to add in TDD like plaza parking garages and streetcar etc. Then hotels get another sales tax... To come up with the final number. I believe downtown and plaza are in a dead heat.

this is what i'm talking about

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: February 25, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »

Wow... Incentives on one thing spur other business. Weird

Mayor James did not pay for him to say that.

Yeah I wonder if the incentives he opposes in a different part of the city might also spur other businesses.

Nobody is arguing that. The comments were around the city better defining when and where to use incentives and how they should be tied to civic strategy. Downtown is the economic engine for KCMO and the region and is obviously a strategic goal.... Is SKC and Bannister mall?

It's an interesting question - why should the economic engine for an entire region need incentives more than a dilapidated area inhabited primarily by minorities?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: February 25, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »
i went to the new Tom's Town Distillery in the crossroads last week and noticed the sales tax was all of about 1% (about 60 cents on a 50 dollar tab)? was that on purpose or a mistake?

Did you get around 6 dollars of non-alcoholic items?

uh, yes, pretty much exactly.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: February 25, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »

Wow... Incentives on one thing spur other business. Weird

Mayor James did not pay for him to say that.

Yeah I wonder if the incentives he opposes in a different part of the city might also spur other businesses.

Nobody is arguing that. The comments were around the city better defining when and where to use incentives and how they should be tied to civic strategy. Downtown is the economic engine for KCMO and the region and is obviously a strategic goal.... Is SKC and Bannister mall?

It's an interesting question - why should the economic engine for an entire region need incentives more than a dilapidated area inhabited primarily by minorities?

Well both were neglected for decades... I'd argue both need incentives but I don't think a sprawling surface lot filled design was the way to help SKC.... But I do like the employment addition... So in general I've been neutral on that cerner thing.... Mostly just want a better design versus buildings awash in surface parking without transit... Which SKC and east residents could really use to get to those jobs... Of course cerner isn't concerned about that.

My overall point is our incentives need to be tied to strategy.... They aren't now.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: February 25, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »
I mean, seriously, there have been a thousand public light rail/street car open houses over the past 10 years.  City council meetings are public and televised on KCPT.  There are countless streetcar studies and reports available.  here's one:   http://kcmo.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Kansas-City-Streetcar-Traffic-Technical-Report.pdf

Any google search will lead you to a dozen websites detailing every aspect of the streetcar plan from projections, to funding, to traffic issues.  For instance, this site http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9488 is a forum dedicated to nothing but KC development issues. 

I just don't understand the argument that the streetcar was some opaque, secretive project rammed through by City Officials in the middle of the night.   

as usual, wtf are you talking about

"that's why i am so hung up on transparency in the process and vetting the numbers being used to sway public opinion."  -Pissclams

I thought you were hung up on the transparency in the process. 

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: February 25, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »
Sales tax breakdown (thanks data.kcmo.org)

State  4.225%
KCMO 2.875%
Prepared food addition 2%
Hotel room addition 7%
Streetcar TDD 1%
Plaza TDD. 5%

Unprepared food is less than general sales tax (8.35% vs 5.35% in Jackson co)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: February 25, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
He was talking about the airport

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: February 25, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »
i went to the new Tom's Town Distillery in the crossroads last week and noticed the sales tax was all of about 1% (about 60 cents on a 50 dollar tab)? was that on purpose or a mistake?

Did you get around 6 dollars of non-alcoholic items?

uh, yes, pretty much exactly.

:cheers:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: February 25, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »
He was talking about the airport

mistook it for StreetCar/Mid-town expansion project. 

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: February 25, 2016, 11:59:47 AM »
May 6th is the first day of the street car. Will Kansas City survive this powderkeg? Stay tuned!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: February 25, 2016, 12:04:06 PM »
barley bus tour on Saturday guys

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: February 25, 2016, 12:10:37 PM »
We need to compare downtown running routes wacky.
I go from my place (The Quaff) down Broadway to the river market and then I run over that running bridge and down the stairs to the river walk and run all the way down to Isle of Capri and back. Sometimes i'll mix it up and run a square. Down to the river market over to grand, down to Union Station and back up broadway.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: February 25, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
I go from my place (The Quaff) down Broadway to the river market and then I run over that running bridge and down the stairs to the river walk and run all the way down to Isle of Capri and back. Sometimes i'll mix it up and run a square. Down to the river market over to grand, down to Union Station and back up broadway.

I don't run as far normally and don't go the river market way much... I'd suggest using Wyandotte down 10th...Broadway sucks to run on I feel like... Sometimes I take it South to Dennys then cut over on 16th though.

Lot of the time I take off SW out of quality Hill over to the Westside.... Down summit to like 20th, over to main... South to union station (nice big ped area across the railroad tracks now on main)  then back up walnut or grand or oak... The wander back to quality Hill.  Highly recommend the Westside track.... Cool views, low  traffic.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: February 25, 2016, 12:24:44 PM »

there's some good bike trails along your track

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: February 25, 2016, 12:25:55 PM »
sounds like the same route dr j takes

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: February 25, 2016, 12:27:13 PM »
@phil @clams Yup! :thumbsup:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: February 25, 2016, 12:28:09 PM »
sounds like the same route dr j takes
You son of a bitch! :shakesfist:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: February 25, 2016, 12:39:15 PM »
I'll report some awesome Kc things after lunch from my runs that I've discovered. Teaser: bums banging... Stay tuned!

The Big Train

« Reply #4244 on: February 25, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »

I'll report some awesome Kc things after lunch from my runs that I've discovered. Teaser: bums banging... Stay tuned!

Finally something interesting ITT

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: February 25, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
OK, so this was last summer. I took a random Tuesday off to do some job prospecting and I thought, "what better way to start the day than a morning jog down by the river walk?". So it's about 9:45 AM, I had spent the morning hammering out a few emails and finally found a good stopping point. So I started my run down by the river walk across the running bridge, ran down the stairs, started pumping some Kanye and then I flew. Anyone who's run down there knows you run under a few bridges and by some nasty pond. Well, as I was approaching the nasty pond, I saw some type of tarp around the corner. I was like "hmmm..."I've never seen that before. I wonder what it is". Next thing you know.... BANG!!!! IT'S TWO MONGOLOIDS, ONE BARE ASSED AND THE OTHER BENT OVER DOGGY STYLE GOING AT IT. I mean for the love of god, I get that nobody is probably down there during the day on a random Tuesday, so they probably thought they were safe, but holy crap!. I kid you not, there was a half a 40 sitting there and mongoloids noticed me approaching. I turned down my music, because I wanted to see if they said anything. The next thing you know. I hear what sounds like a toothless witch cackling at me as I run by. It's the mongoloid that's bent over, staring at me and laughing. After that, I ran as fast as I could to get away. Wondering what I just saw? I'm texting ms. wacky and all my friends and no one would believe me. It was so bizarre. Imagine this cackling at you doggy style while getting it from behind and full of dirt.

:angry:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:23:24 PM by WackyCat08 »

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: February 25, 2016, 01:35:15 PM »
barley bus tour on Saturday guys

Have fun!

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: February 25, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »
You sure know how to paint a vivid picture Wacky!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: February 25, 2016, 01:41:54 PM »
Is there anything better than drinking beers outside? Look at the forecast for Saturday

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: February 25, 2016, 01:47:04 PM »
drinking beers outside while trying to conceive under a bridge