Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1006767 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #4200 on: February 25, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »
Reflecting back clams does have fair points and questions about what happens if their assumptions don't work, etc. I'd expect much more info to come out prior to any vote.

i've done this type of work for 15 years in the private sector and honestly, nothing will happen when/if their assumptions don't work. because no matter how much due diligence they put forth in trying to get their assumptions (cost/benefits/etc) correct, they won't be correct. it's just that hard to do.  the goal should be to get them as close as possible to avoid massive overruns. but is that the goal?  or is the goal to make it look good to get a yes vote?  when this thing is complete (and there's no doubt in my mind that it will be greenlighted) no one associated with the go forward decision will be around to be held to task and more importantly, the original promise of what was going to be delivered will long have been forgotten.

that's why i am so hung up on transparency in the process and vetting the numbers being used to sway public opinion.

"get elected, build something big as quick as you can, and name it for yourself"  I think that was the mayoral advice to the new incoming mayor in The Wire. 

James International Airport.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: February 25, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
Truman international

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: February 25, 2016, 10:25:54 AM »
That video says advantage: bus

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: February 25, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
That disadvantage provides that comedy, I'm in! That guy had an important meeting at grinders to go to.. He couldn't be delayed!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: February 25, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »

totally changing subjects I am for real kind of pissed about the incentives that KC keeps giving Cerner, even when they do things that are clearly not good for the city. very frustrating.

We need a strategy backed by civic goals and that drives incentives.... Instead of what appears to be willy nilly at this point.

agreed. building a sprawling campus on Bannister that is not accessible by transit should not be backed with incentives.

Someone with a downtown business is upset with another area of town receiving incentives? That's great.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: February 25, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »

totally changing subjects I am for real kind of pissed about the incentives that KC keeps giving Cerner, even when they do things that are clearly not good for the city. very frustrating.

We need a strategy backed by civic goals and that drives incentives.... Instead of what appears to be willy nilly at this point.

agreed. building a sprawling campus on Bannister that is not accessible by transit should not be backed with incentives.

Someone with a downtown business is upset with another area of town receiving incentives? That's great.
Would love for you to detail the incentives I used to build and start my business.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: February 25, 2016, 11:09:03 AM »
I mean, seriously, there have been a thousand public light rail/street car open houses over the past 10 years.  City council meetings are public and televised on KCPT.  There are countless streetcar studies and reports available.  here's one:   http://kcmo.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Kansas-City-Streetcar-Traffic-Technical-Report.pdf

Any google search will lead you to a dozen websites detailing every aspect of the streetcar plan from projections, to funding, to traffic issues.  For instance, this site http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9488 is a forum dedicated to nothing but KC development issues. 

I just don't understand the argument that the streetcar was some opaque, secretive project rammed through by City Officials in the middle of the night.   

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: February 25, 2016, 11:09:33 AM »
And I wouldn't say I'm upset. More confused. The city is obviously pushing for downtown development, but then gives the largest incentive package ever to a suburban campus.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: February 25, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
i went to the new Tom's Town Distillery in the crossroads last week and noticed the sales tax was all of about 1% (about 60 cents on a 50 dollar tab)? was that on purpose or a mistake?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: February 25, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
I mean, seriously, there have been a thousand public light rail/street car open houses over the past 10 years.  City council meetings are public and televised on KCPT.  There are countless streetcar studies and reports available.  here's one:   http://kcmo.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Kansas-City-Streetcar-Traffic-Technical-Report.pdf

Any google search will lead you to a dozen websites detailing every aspect of the streetcar plan from projections, to funding, to traffic issues.  For instance, this site http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9488 is a forum dedicated to nothing but KC development issues. 

I just don't understand the argument that the streetcar was some opaque, secretive project rammed through by City Officials in the middle of the night.   

as usual, wtf are you talking about

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: February 25, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
i went to the new Tom's Town Distillery in the crossroads last week and noticed the sales tax was all of about 1% (about 60 cents on a 50 dollar tab)? was that on purpose or a mistake?

Did you get around 6 dollars of non-alcoholic items?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: February 25, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »

Would love for you to detail the incentives I used to build and start my business.
Do you not think your business benefits from downtown tax incentives, even if they don't directly impact your bottom line?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: February 25, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
I know that I pay a higher sales tax and property tax rate than any other district in the city.
But, yes development around me is spurred by tax incentives. I get that. It's one of the reasons we are here.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: February 25, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
I know that I pay a higher sales tax and property tax rate than any other district in the city.
But, yes development around me is spurred by tax incentives. I get that. It's one of the reasons we are here.

Wow... Incentives on one thing spur other business. Weird

Mayor James did not pay for him to say that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: February 25, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »

Yeah I wonder if the incentives he opposes in a different part of the city might also spur other businesses.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4215 on: February 25, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »

temporary

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: February 25, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »

Yeah I wonder if the incentives he opposes in a different part of the city might also spur other businesses.
Maybe they will!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »

i thought that was pretty hypocritical too

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »

temporary
What's temporary?  Downtown development? tax incentives? Businesses wanting to be down here?  Maybe. I'll take that risk.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: February 25, 2016, 11:33:05 AM »

i thought that was pretty hypocritical too
Ha ok. Let's be friends clams. You seems like a really nice dude.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: February 25, 2016, 11:34:04 AM »

is your sales tax higher than the plaza?  i thought we were the highest in the city.  not sure where i could find that out but at one point the kc star said we were the highest.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: February 25, 2016, 11:34:48 AM »

is your sales tax higher than the plaza?  i thought we were the highest in the city.  not sure where i could find that out but at one point the kc star said we were the highest.
I thought I was. I pay 9.35% I could be wrong.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: February 25, 2016, 11:36:50 AM »

Nobody is arguing that. The comments were around the city better defining when and where to use incentives and how they should be tied to civic strategy. Downtown is the economic engine for KCMO and the region and is obviously a strategic goal.... Is SKC and Bannister mall?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: February 25, 2016, 11:37:45 AM »

i could be on crack but i think we're somewhere north of 10% and have been for years.  it's the confluence of several smaller "tourist" taxes that hit this area.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: February 25, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »

i could be on crack but i think we're somewhere north of 10% and have been for years.  it's the confluence of several smaller "tourist" taxes that hit this area.
Hm didn't know that!