Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1005184 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #4125 on: February 24, 2016, 10:12:26 AM »
totally changing subjects I am for real kind of pissed about the incentives that KC keeps giving Cerner, even when they do things that are clearly not good for the city. very frustrating.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: February 24, 2016, 10:14:09 AM »
totally changing subjects I am for real kind of pissed about the incentives that KC keeps giving Cerner, even when they do things that are clearly not good for the city. very frustrating.

We need a strategy backed by civic goals and that drives incentives.... Instead of what appears to be willy nilly at this point.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: February 24, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »

We need a strategy backed by civic goals and that drives incentives.... Instead of what appears to be willy nilly at this point.

agreed. building a sprawling campus on Bannister that is not accessible by transit should not be backed with incentives.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: February 24, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
at least city council member canady mandated that a percentage of JE Dunn's workers on the cerner bannister project are locally based. i was surprised that they chose that area to build and i am interested to see how it impacts that part of the city.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: February 24, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »
at least city council member canady mandated that a percentage of JE Dunn's workers on the cerner bannister project are locally based. i was surprised that they chose that area to build and i am interested to see how it impacts that part of the city.

pretty disappointed they didn't choose downtown, but I am invested in downtown, and I hate urban sprawl/campus construction projects.
Do we know what the timeline on this project is?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: February 24, 2016, 12:11:04 PM »
I bid some crap on building 9, but came in second  :curse:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: February 24, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »

agreed. building a sprawling campus on Bannister that is not accessible by transit should not be backed with incentives.

Incentives are a zero sum game, but due to state line, aren't going away anytime soon.  KCMO is terrified of losing jobs to KS and vice versa.  Sporting KC and Cerner just dumped thousands of jobs and Sporting Park over in WyCo due to huge incentives.  When Bannister was back on the table, KCMO wasn't about to lose the jobs again.   

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: February 24, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »

Incentives are a zero sum game, but due to state line, aren't going away anytime soon.  KCMO is terrified of losing jobs to KS and vice versa.  Sporting KC and Cerner just dumped thousands of jobs and Sporting Park over in WyCo due to huge incentives.  When Bannister was back on the table, KCMO wasn't about to lose the jobs again.   

Oh I understand that. and get why they did it. just can be annoying when we have great downtown resurgence and the largest company in the metro give them the big middle finger. Sprint did the same thing when they built the campus in OP. if we would stop building campus's and build downtown we'd have at least 3 more highrise buildings (sprint, cerner, garmin) Cerner would probably need like 4 buildings.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: February 24, 2016, 12:46:28 PM »
A downtown Garmin does not work.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: February 24, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »
Is Garmin still a thing?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: February 24, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
Ya man, doing really well actually.  I figured them dead after the nuvi sales dried up but they are kicking ass in the fitness and some other markets.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: February 24, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »

maybe not their production facility, but they could certainly office downtown...

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: February 24, 2016, 12:53:18 PM »

maybe not their production facility, but they could certainly office downtown...

Nope. 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: February 24, 2016, 12:55:18 PM »

Nope.

oh ok. guess they must be pretty special then.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: February 24, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »
Who works at the Cerner in SE KC? I always drive by it and feel like it's a weird place for such a huge corporation. Is that location their first one?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: February 24, 2016, 01:00:54 PM »

Nope.

oh ok. guess they must be pretty special then.

Agreed.   :cheers:

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: February 24, 2016, 01:03:18 PM »
Who works at the Cerner in SE KC? I always drive by it and feel like it's a weird place for such a huge corporation. Is that location their first one?

pretty sure that was their first building. I have no idea who actually works there.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:03 PM »
Good to know. I've always seen it and thought it should be in a more visible location in the city, but I guess that's why they have the new location as well.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: February 24, 2016, 01:08:01 PM »

pretty sure that was their first building. I have no idea who actually works there.

It's like tech support / customer service type folks.  Maybe not all but some.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: February 24, 2016, 01:16:08 PM »

I think NKC campus is their first buildings. They took over that SKC location from the old Kauffman drug company.... And was one reason they built/ecpanded at Bannister.

Offline Catosaurus

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: February 24, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »

pretty disappointed they didn't choose downtown, but I am invested in downtown, and I hate urban sprawl/campus construction projects.
Do we know what the timeline on this project is?

Pretty sure the Cerner/SKC owners owned all that land around Bannister since that was where SKC's stadium was originally going to go. Since it wasn't going to be used for Sporting, it made sense that they would use it for Cerner instead of just sitting fallow.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: February 24, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »
cerner downtown would have been increds and should have happened
sprint's op campus came about long before downtown's resurgence, the planning for it started in the very early 90's

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: February 24, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
Is downtown even big enough for that to happen. 

The boom surrounding that would be absolutely huge.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: February 24, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »
ya it is

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: February 24, 2016, 01:56:26 PM »
I mean, Lib just said something about bidding some work in "building 9".  That quantity of space in downtown proper..... 

That would be the biggest downtown construction project in KC's history.