Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 438017 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #925 on: June 11, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »
 :sdeek:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 12, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »
Disagree, that was fantastic trolling by sys.
meh. it was clinical, but getting a rage response from FSD and dax isn't "fantastic", imo.

it got a lot of response, even for them.

not trolling.  i was trying to message board with my friend, emo emaw.  certainly not trying to elict responses from dax and fsd.  there are few people in the world i'm less interested in conversing with than those two.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 12, 2014, 02:02:16 PM »
Pretty great not-even-trolling troll of Michcat here, guys.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 12, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »
:D

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 15, 2014, 10:31:28 PM »
Our President, ever "The Great Post-Partisan Uniter" just gave a speech comparing AGW skeptics to people who believe the moon is made of cheese. I think this puts him to left of many, but not all, of the libtards on even this board, which is pretty hard to believe.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: June 15, 2014, 10:51:48 PM »
Even on this board
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #931 on: June 15, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »
The president is a moron. Always has been.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 16, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »
Yep. I bet Obama votes straight D's every election. He's a pure leftist.

Offline brandochav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 16, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »
I'm not an alarmist by any means, but the Earth is indeed warming.  Climate change is a real thing.  14 of the last 15 years have been the hottest average global temperatures on record.  The chance that that is just a coincidence is less than 1 divided by all of the stars in the universe.

:nerd:

You should probably be made aware that the graph starting this thread shows that your punitive carbon tax would have little to no affect on global temperatures.  I don't thinks it's even in dispute that a punitive carbon tax would have a devastating effect on the US economy.

Are we just buying a 4 balloon average and 2 satellite average with no reference as indisputable evidence now? For one, the graph below paints a much more accurate representation.

Note: The global mean annual temperature deviations are in the source in relation to the base period 1961-1990. The annual deviations shown in the chart have been adjusted to be relative to the period 1850-1899 to better monitor the EU objective not to exceed 2 oC above preindustrial values. Over Europe average annual temperatures during the real preindustrial period (1750-1799) were very similar to those during 1850-1899.

Of course the models are wrong! As someone who works with multivariate modeling techniques...ALL MODELS ARE WRONG. Yet, SOME ARE USEFUL! To imply the models being wrong as evidence to the contrary is just a sign that you misunderstand the statistical analysis. Also, we can argue all day about pre-historic temperatures. No one will deny their existence and relatively high values. What will be argued is this significance to the current debate. It's all about rate of change and ecosystem adaptation. Using these values out of current context is an obfuscation technique used to separate the real issue: current potential of human-dependent ecosystem collapse from too rapid of change. Change that, no matter the dispute on degree, is impacted by human actions. Only someone with a sophomoric understanding of organic chemistry and the magnitude of our impact on the carbon cycle would deny this influence.

To add, in 2006 Evans and Puckrin showed that the heat signatures responsible for the increase in temp was largely due to CO2, with additonal influence from other man-influenced gasses such as CFCs (https://ams.confex.com/ams/Annual2006/techprogram/paper_100737.htm). Right there is the empirical evidence for warming from organic and inorganic compounds largely increased in atmospheric concentrations from human actions. Yet, continue to ignorantly debate based on some misunderstanding or appeal to statistical or sampling error without comprehension of the methods themselves.

The issue that people cling to is, "it's been warmer in the distant past". Yeah, but not when we were rough ridin' here in a globalized, modern economic society that has 7+ billion people to support! Such a rapid change creates a selective pressure on ecosystems that would not be beneficial for man-kind! Why would you want to speed that process up? It's going to happen, but why would you speed it up by a factor of several thousand? It's like a gas leak...a slow, tiny one would not even be felt (the rate of change is so small that acclimatization would be stress-free), but crank that bitch up 10,000 times and now you have an issue.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 16, 2014, 08:57:24 PM »
Yet at the end of the day it still not be determined how much or how little man made emissions are impacting temps.   

In addition, myriads of warmist alarmist continue to try and pooh-pooh away poor weather station siting and the Urban Heat Island Effect.   

Trying to claim that we should now have extreme alarmism because the warming is happening (again) because there's now 7 billion people on the planet is immaterial and will solve nothing.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 16, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
Brando-chatch works with models?!?!?!? OMG. More anomaly charts :runaway:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 20, 2014, 10:22:16 PM »
Another Model
Idiot

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 23, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 23, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 23, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
I am guessing there is an HCN station in like Alaska or Maine or sometime.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 23, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »
US summers used to be much hotter.

https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/summers-used-to-be-much-hotter-in-the-us-2/

Well that doesn't seem very alarming at all. Wouldn't the more scientific approach be to use our Super Accurate Computer Models to modify and reduce the recorded tempertures from decades ago? This would result in more warming and scarier graphs, which would be more in line with what the scientific consensus has told me to be true. Besides, I doubt those dumbass scientists from the 30s even knew how to read a thermometer.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 23, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
US summers used to be much hotter.

this june has been surprisingly survivable so far.   :crossfingers:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #945 on: June 23, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »
:sdeek:

I heard a thing on NPR a few weeks back where they were talking about domestic coal consumption going down (in favor of natural gas, primarily), but coal mining companies weren't really sweating it because China and other developing nations were clamoring for coal, so they were making up the difference in exports.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 23, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
I am guessing there is an HCN station in like Alaska or Maine or sometime.

Looks like only the lower 48.

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/epubs/ndp/ushcn/ushcn_map_interface.html

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 23, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
Muumuu mmhm mnht

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 26, 2014, 08:10:01 AM »
So, Earth's relationship to the Sun is kind of important then?  Orbit changes, solar activity et. al. are all kind of important?

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2014/jun/study-links-greenland-ice-sheet-collapse-sea-level-rise-400000-years-ago

Yet, we are to lay all "warming" solely at the alter of AGW?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 30, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »
Good news, everyone. In an odd bit of NOAA officiating, 1936 is once again the hottest summer, ever. http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/30/noaa-quietly-reinstates-july-1936-as-the-hottest-month-on-record/