Author Topic: Will the '13 Defense Be A Disaster??  (Read 14733 times)

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Will the '13 Defense Be A Disaster??
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »
How much improvement can we expect from the D this year, given that the main problem is talent/footspeed? People seem to have left it for dead and favored talking about Sams/Waters/offensive adjustments.  Any chance Johnson/Moore work their way into the LB corps and make a difference? C. Brown, Willis, etc steps in to actually provide some playmaking?

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »
How much improvement can we expect from the D this year, given that the main problem is talent/footspeed? People seem to have left it for dead and favored talking about Sams/Waters/offensive adjustments.  Any chance Johnson/Moore work their way into the LB corps and make a difference? C. Brown, Willis, etc steps in to actually provide some playmaking?
Kind of like trying to rearrange the living room when the rest of the house is going up in flames

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »

We need to run the ball early and often to limit the D's exposure. It's the only way we are going to remain in games against good teams.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »

We need to run the ball early and often to limit the D's exposure. It's the only way we are going to remain in games against good teams.
But what if other teams take that route, like NDSU did in their last drive.  This will kill us for the rest of the season, if that happens IMHO.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 01:09:28 PM »

But what if other teams take that route, like NDSU did in their last drive.  This will kill us for the rest of the season, if that happens IMHO.
It didn't kill NDSU. They took that route and won because our passing offense consistently set us up with 3rd and long.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »

It didn't kill NDSU. They took that route and won because our passing offense consistently set us up with 3rd and long.
If the other teams decides to control the clock, it could kill our only chance at winning.  Snyder made this public info last year, so the secert is out.  We're DOOMED! :White flag:

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2013, 01:18:41 PM »
Just based on speed, I bet Dakorey gets a look.  Hopefully Moore too.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2013, 01:22:32 PM »

If the other teams decides to control the clock, it could kill our only chance at winning.  Snyder made this public info last year, so the secert is out.  We're DOOMED! :White flag:

How does it hurt us more than them? It limits the exposure our defense faces even more. It's not like West Virginia, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, etc. are going to start slowing the game down because they face the Cats. If anything, they are going to try to play even faster.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2013, 01:37:14 PM »

How does it hurt us more than them? It limits the exposure our defense faces even more. It's not like West Virginia, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, etc. are going to start slowing the game down because they face the Cats. If anything, they are going to try to play even faster.
Do you want me to type slower so you can catch up.  If the other team's offense is on the field longer, so is our weak defense.  Therefore, they control the clock and control the game; as Snyder has said was his secert to make up for a weak defense.  It basically takes us out of the game.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »

Do you want me to type slower so you can catch up.  If the other team's offense is on the field longer, so is our weak defense.  Therefore, they control the clock and control the game; as Snyder has said was his secert to make up for a weak defense.  It basically takes us out of the game.

Our defense might be standing on the field longer, but they get more time to catch their breath and are exposed to fewer plays, minimizing the risk of injury which would be just awful given our lack of depth. Fewer plays all around helps our chances. Every game we play would be very close if both teams were to run 40 seconds off of the play clock every play. We would have a great chance of beating any team in the country under that scenario.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »

Our defense might be standing on the field longer, but they get more time to catch their breath and are exposed to fewer plays, minimizing the risk of injury which would be just awful given our lack of depth. Fewer plays all around helps our chances. Every game we play would be very close if both teams were to run 40 seconds off of the play clock every play. We would have a great chance of beating any team in the country under that scenario.
So you don't believe in Snyder's "control the clock" method of play.  This didn't give us an advantage in our 21 wins over the last two seasons.  :whistle1:

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
Just based on speed, I bet Dakorey gets a look.  Hopefully Moore too.

:thumbs:

I hope they have great football instincts, we all know Slaughter does NOT. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »

So you don't believe in Snyder's "control the clock" method of play.  This didn't give us an advantage in our 21 wins over the last two seasons.  :whistle1:

I'm a firm believer in that method of play when you have a suspect defense and talent deficiencies across the board in general. If we had a better team, I would want to run Baylor's offense. We don't have a very good team, though. I want to run Bill's offense from 2003 with Daniel Sams at QB.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it, bill is saving the good defensive players for later.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
Yes, yes, very true... :ROFL:

Offline yoman

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2013, 12:44:28 AM »
I think this yoman guy is on to something....

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2013, 12:50:18 AM »

Thought so. Just wanted to keep the secret.

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2013, 01:01:13 AM »
 "I want to run Bill's offense from 2003 with Daniel Sams at QB.:thumbs: to this. It's our only chance of being relevant in the Big 12 this year. Abandon the pass-first bullshit we tried Friday night. Go back to your bread and butter Bill

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:22 AM »

I"m a firm believer in Snyder's score more points then the other team method.  I think that was the secret to our 21 wins over the last two seasons.   

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2013, 12:34:21 PM »
I want to run Bill's offense from 2003 with Daniel Sams at QB.

That'd work great.*

* if we got to swap Hubert for Sproles and the entire OL for its 2003 edition

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »
I want to run Bill's offense from 2003 with Daniel Sams at QB.

That'd work great.*

* if we got to swap Hubert for Sproles and the entire OL for its 2003 edition

Even without the small print, it would look about 100x better than what we saw Friday night.