Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 109800 times)

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »
I did a Montana trip in early June several years ago and hit Yellowstone and Glacier about a day and a half each.  The trip was awesome but I wish I had more time at both. 

Yellowstone was everything you'd expect... geysers, colorful pools/rocks, wildlife everywhere, but also people everywhere.  I didn't see even half of the park (and that only the major spots).  Would love to go back with more time to hike/camp in more secluded areas.

Glacier is absolutely gorgeous.  The road through the middle of the park wasn't open yet, so I spent a day on the west side and then drove around and spent a day on the east side.  The main roads had plenty if traffic, but once you get on a trail you may not see anyone for hours.  Again would live to go back and spend a few days off the beaten path.

I know that I missed a lot of what these parks have to offer, but  I'm glad I did both just because I don't know when I'll get a chance to go back.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »
Cool beans. I think I'll shorten Yellowstone to two days (traffic is dumb and I've seen probably a lot of similar wildlife in Alaska :cool: already). Glacier sounds so incredible. I mean, just look at this.

:love: :love:

Lewistown is super cool if you like 1) elite eating and 2) getting pak'd in a bar that literally has a river flowing through it.

I do. Or, I assume I do. Maybe I'll catch some Boozecat games there. :ump: Funny that you should mention this because right now I'm going to watch A River Runs Through It in preparation.  :excited:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2013, 05:24:12 AM »
Airport :excited:

New Orleans airport is super pud, btw. SUPER pud.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2013, 05:56:19 AM »
congrats sb!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2013, 06:06:54 AM »
T-y, TCFS.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2013, 07:59:49 AM »
Airport :excited:

New Orleans airport is super pud, btw. SUPER pud.
Sure is.  Have a blast SB. 

I'm super jealous now and want to go on my own trip like this  :bawl:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:41 AM »
Seriously though, take a crap ton of pictures.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »
:lol: Some chubby awesome 9 year-old girl next to me was wearing this, but on a shirt. Pretty boss move to wear on a plane.

http://www.zazzle.com/not_found_fridge_magnets-147406556052911529

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2013, 11:25:54 AM »
Just popping in from Bozeman, Montana to say that this is easily one of the best things I've ever done. I mean, I just.........   :surprised: at the scenery.

See all you beautiful gE'rs in a week or so. And Porky Morgan, I'll probably be seeing you sooner than that. (Check PMs in like an hour or two.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:45:01 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
sounds like a great time SB :party:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »
:horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise:

Just walked into Montana State's basketball arena. Nobody there except one guy coming out as I am walking in (rocking EMAW t-shirt).

Guy: K-State? I'm from Manhattan!
SB: I'm from Manhattan, too!
Guy: I was raised there and graduated from K-State in [XXXX year].
SB: I was raised there and graduated from K-State in [same XXXX year]!

Then we talked for a while and parted company. It was excellent, and then I went into the actual arena part and they're repainting the floor and blaring "Little Pink Houses" by John Kegel Mellonballs.

Cats, man. Ain't that America!?!?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »
PM! Check your PMs! :excited:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »
Sounds awesome skinny! Glacier is awesome, I had the chance to work basically right beside the park for a summer and everyday I just marveled at the scenery.
I'm purple down

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
Where'd you work? Met a lot of those types while filling up on gas and whatnot.

Going to St. Mary Lake and Many Glacier 2maro. Google it!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »
I am currently in the pudville known as Moscow, ID. and it is woof city over here. Will post pics of Idaho's absolutely horrendous facilities in a few days. You will barf.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:04:21 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »
I am currently in the pudville known as Moscow, ID. and it is woof city over here. Will post pics of Idaho's absolutely horrendous facilities in a few days.

Oh man one of my good buddies is going to be so disappointed to see this.  He's Vandals4Life but I'm turning him EMAW.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »
I am currently in the pudville known as Moscow, ID. and it is woof city over here. Will post pics of Idaho's absolutely horrendous facilities in a few days.

Oh man one of my good buddies is going to be so disappointed to see this.  He's Vandals4Life but I'm turning him EMAW.

Please don't tell him, I feel bad. :frown: But their facilities...I mean...

Downtown is fairly cute, though! :excited:

Also ask him why there are so many weird water towers everywhere.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
Where'd you work? Met a lot of those types while filling up on gas and whatnot.

Going to St. Mary Lake and Many Glacier 2maro. Google it!
I worked on the railroad (intern)
I'm purple down

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
:horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise:

Just walked into Montana State's basketball arena. Nobody there except one guy coming out as I am walking in (rocking EMAW t-shirt).

Guy: K-State? I'm from Manhattan!
SB: I'm from Manhattan, too!
Guy: I was raised there and graduated from K-State in [XXXX year].
SB: I was raised there and graduated from K-State in [same XXXX year]!

Then we talked for a while and parted company. It was excellent, and then I went into the actual arena part and they're repainting the floor and blaring "Little Pink Houses" by John Kegel Mellonballs.

Cats, man. Ain't that America!?!?
thats amazing.. summer of skinnybenny!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2013, 05:58:25 PM »
:D

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »
What happened to the post about "Family", or did I dream that?

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »
What happened to the post about "Family", or did I dream that?

Encounters thread

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2013, 09:44:15 PM »
But I'll probably talk about it here in my recap too, eventually.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »
Long time no lurk, but I just got back from MT/WY last week. Ran into the KSU Spirit Club of Jackson Hole at the Silver Dollar Bar and Grill, watching game 2 of the Bat 'cats vs. Oregon State series.

Sounds like I'm too late, but I'd be happy to try to help answer any Bozeman/Yellowstone/Teton/Jackson questions you might have as you live BBS this trip, SkinBen.

If you haven't already discovered this, camping might be a little tricky for you in Yellowstone. There are some sites that don't accept reservations, but it seemed like everything was pretty damn full. And it doesn't sound like backcountry sites are an option for you, is that correct? I'm not even sure they would give you a permit if you're by yourself. And if you're planning even a day hike on your own, use a bear bell, carry bear spray and be careful.

Yes, lots of people go to Yellowstone, but most of them are lazy and/or stupid and it doesn't take much effort to get to places were you have the place completely to yourself. Sometimes you don't even have to leave your car. Check out the one way roads just off the Grand Loop (Firehole Canyon Drive, Firehole Lake Drive, Virginia Cascade Drive,  Fountain Flats Drive, and if they're open the Old Gardiner Road and Blacktail Plateau Drive).

As far as time to allow, if you haven't already moved on, we spent five days in Yellowstone and I don't feel like we even came close to "seeing it all."