Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 111809 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #1250 on: July 13, 2023, 09:06:43 PM »
benji, great pics, and looks like a good time to be had.  I'm jelly.  :thumbs:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 15, 2023, 08:59:47 PM »
Stopped by Little Jerusalem Badlands near Scott City today. Nice badlands and vast prairie vistas. Took k96, CO96 and CO-10 to the mountains. Almost zero traffic and vast empty landscapes if you are into that sort of thing.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 16, 2023, 05:36:14 PM »
Stopped by Little Jerusalem Badlands near Scott City today. Nice badlands and vast prairie vistas. Took k96, CO96 and CO-10 to the mountains. Almost zero traffic and vast empty landscapes if you are into that sort of thing.
Nice. Little Jerusalem badlands are pretty cool but not worth making a whole trip for. Definitely worth a 1hr detour if you are heading west tho. Here was lady out there a couple of years ago.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 17, 2023, 08:34:38 PM »
I was supposed to do the Pemi Loop in the White Mountains of NH in two weeks. No way that's happening now because I tore my calf muscle playing tennis. It was doubly stupid because I think a contributing factor to the injury was the 9 mile/50 lb pack training hike I did yesterday. Pushed the muscles too hard.

Quite a bummer. Don't do stupid stuff and take care of your body prior to your VQs!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 18, 2023, 08:05:19 PM »
Nice. Little Jerusalem badlands are pretty cool but not worth making a whole trip for. Definitely worth a 1hr detour if you are heading west tho. Here was lady out there a couple of years ago.

Agree

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 18, 2023, 08:09:15 PM »
Vista from Mesa Verde Natl Park (Montezuma Overlook). MVNP was amazing but broiling hot today. Would recommend going during a cooler time of the year.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 23, 2023, 08:57:25 PM »
This is my neck of the woods. Let me know if you want beta on anything. Grand Mesa, Dolores Canyon, Uncompahgre, Weminuche, La Platas, San Juans, Lone Mesa, Hovenweep, Canyon of the Ancients, etc.

Would not recommend going to Moab in July unless you're planning to run the Green. Best times are April-May, or September-November.
@asava, we are planning to camp near Durango for approx one week. One day for narrow gauge railroad, at least one day for Mesa Verde, maybe one day for Ouray hot springs/Oak Creek Overlook, one day to hike a bit on Colorado Trail. Do you think kids would like Canyons of the Ancients?

Will take recommendations from you and tdaver to defer Utah rock formation national parks to a spring/fall timeframe.

DGO in July is great, though you should be aware that the rains/monsoons usually start about mid july and set in just after noon. The snows should be melted up high, and there are lots of amazing day hikes you can get in while around, and several I'd recommend over the Colorado Trail section that is down here. Check out Engineer Mountain via Pass Trail at the top of Coal Bank and take it to the meadow. Summiting Engineer is a little bit of a scramble, so it would depend on how old/adept your kids are if you wanted to try and get close to 13,000 ft. Either way the meadow is awesome and the views are incredible. Just don't get caught up there after noon, as you'll be above tree line where clouds move in quickly and lightning is a deadly concern. There are also lots of hikes off Molas Pass as well. Check out Vestal Basin. Lots of waterfalls and it's hiking only, but that will take you on a portion of the CT that is only open to foot traffic. Molas and Little Molas have great campgrounds as well. You could also look towards high alpine lakes like Highland Mary Lake, Columbine Lake, or even Ice Lakes. Ice Lakes is permit only now due to so many people finding out about it via instagram and it basically being overrun by idiots who start fires and generally leave crap everywhere, but it's a pretty remarkable place. Highland Mary and Columbine are lesser known and good options. An easier lake hike would be Potato Lake near Purgatory.

Canyon of the Ancients is awesome, but your kids might lose interest if they've already done Mesa Verde. Depending on where you are camping, it could mean a lot of time in the car. You're doing the right thing by giving a full day or more to Mesa Verde. It takes quite a bit of car time just to get to the dwellings. You should also double check to see what sites are open. They often close sites for restoration, and it can be a big bummer if you go in there without knowing some of the more accessible ones are closed.

It sounds like camping at Molas or Little Molas would be your ideal location to reach both Ouray, Mesa Verde, and do a bit of hiking. Andrews Lake, Molas Lake, and Little Molas are all great to do a little stand up paddle boarding on. Where were you thinking of camping?

Personally, I'd try and not do too much. There's plenty to do and not enough time around these parts. I've spent the last decade exploring all that I can and still have so much on my checklist to knock off. Pro tip on the narrow gauge: one way is enough. A full day on that thing feels pretty long. Purgatory has a lot to do and they've built out a ton of stuff recently, new alpine coaster, a lot of mountain biking, etc...
@asava, thanks a lot for the tip on Pass Trail. There were all kinds of columbines and other wildflowers blooming and the family and I really enjoyed the hike (didn't make it all the way b/c one of my kids was battling some carsickness).

Durango Hot Springs were great.

The drive from Durango to Glenwood Springs via Ouray, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and CO 133 was the most scenic day of driving I've ever experienced with the "Million-Dollar Highway" between Silverton and Ouray being the highlight. If there is a better drive in the West, I want to do it.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: August 01, 2023, 10:22:03 PM »
Went up to Isle Royale for some eastern-time-zone, lodge-based family quest'n … moose, loons, eagles, lichen, mosquitoes, lake trout, pasties, cheese curds, regional lagers … the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:20:53 AM by wELLsculptedbrows »

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 01, 2023, 10:22:43 PM »
That looks fun!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: August 01, 2023, 10:23:44 PM »
Drove through Ames on the way back, only to find this thread-jumping HUSKGUY anomaly/variant camped out on my block.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: August 02, 2023, 07:59:21 AM »
Drove through Ames on the way back, only to find this thread-jumping HUSKGUY anomaly/variant camped out on my block.

:love:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 05, 2023, 06:45:44 PM »

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: September 05, 2023, 06:47:01 PM »
4 days into 12 day quest. Wyoming and Idaho down, Utah and Colorado to go.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1263 on: September 05, 2023, 06:54:09 PM »
4 days into 12 day quest. Wyoming and Idaho down, Utah and Colorado to go.

That looks awesome!

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: September 05, 2023, 07:16:41 PM »
Great pics, ww!  Those the Snowies?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: September 05, 2023, 07:31:37 PM »
Top 3 are from Sawtooth Wilderness area near Stanley ID and bottom ones are from Medicine Bow Peak(looks like you correctly identified them as the snowies)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: September 05, 2023, 08:05:07 PM »
The snowies are my favorite because no one ever goes there

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: September 05, 2023, 10:59:53 PM »

Woah, that's some coincidence
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 06, 2023, 01:39:27 AM »
Heck yeah ww

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 06, 2023, 09:23:54 AM »
Enjoy the vision quest!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 08, 2023, 10:12:19 AM »
over labor day weekend i did a lovely 4-day bikepack in Mt. Hood national forest (my first time in Oregon!) with two buds. was some magnificent VQ'ing

this view from the plane into PDX ended up being my only view of Mt. Hood!

pedaling out of Estacada. wildfire damage everywhere

got a late start so the first night we camped like under a rando bridge. a stick ripped my friend's hammock entirely along the seam so he spent the rest of the trip sleeping on an air pad on the ground.

the Unit

no more fire damage!

second night we stumbled onto an actual campsite at like 7pm so decided to stay there.
no towns or food or anything along the way on this route, btw. brought a crap ton of dehydrated meals and snacks. there were plenty of water sources along the way and we had a nice squeeze filter that worked great.

Timothy Lake with natural LGBTQ+ flag visible

Little Crater Lake is crazy, you can see straight to the bottom. reminded me of the thermal pools in Yellowstone (if you are a VQ thread regular, ykwim). it is apparently fed by an artesian (NOT artisan) spring at a constant 34 deg F

felt like we were biking in the clouds

third night we camped in the woods right next to a swamp (?) at 3500 ft. not a single critter or bird or frog sound or anything. v weird

the last day was a nice descent back to Estacada

fire damage again as we got close to town

picking wild blackberries for a little treat snack

after 120 miles and 10k+ ft elevation gain, we made it back with no flats or mechanical issues  :pray:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 08, 2023, 10:36:13 AM »
Nice! I'm flabbergasted by those bikes that hold all that gear. Did you already own it and have it shipped up there or did you borrow a buddy's/rent one for the trip? I'm not a big bicycle guy but that looks awesome.

Little crater lake was my favorite picture.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 08, 2023, 10:58:38 AM »
Nice! I'm flabbergasted by those bikes that hold all that gear. Did you already own it and have it shipped up there or did you borrow a buddy's/rent one for the trip? I'm not a big bicycle guy but that looks awesome.

Little crater lake was my favorite picture.

T-Y! i bought this bike last year (Vancouver island bikepack report ITT) and rented a bike bag to check it on the plane. the orange bags on the bike were made by a local guy (Twin Pines on ig)
xpost with CC thread but i opened a United card last year, used the points for this trip, and of course you get a free checked bag for having the CC. so the only travel cost of this trip was renting the bike bag (~$150)

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #1273 on: September 08, 2023, 11:24:38 AM »
awesome, did you make your own route? Have some friends that created bikepacking routes near there, but I haven't explored that area much.

At least those are clouds and not smoke? We car camped near timothy lake a few weeks ago, and it got so smoky the next day we ended up driving to the coast to find clear air.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 08, 2023, 11:28:04 AM »
My fave pic was the misty bike ahead of you on the dirt trail. Really frames the experience well, I can almost picture being there
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla