Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 109828 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »
Man, I really neglected this thread.  But I did just make this video today!  Be sure to watch in HD.

http://youtu.be/W2HM2M40xOw

I enjoyed this

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 25, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
Man, I really neglected this thread.  But I did just make this video today!  Be sure to watch in HD.

http://youtu.be/W2HM2M40xOw

I enjoyed this

Would've enjoyed it more if there was some Sprawl II playing in the background.  :D
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 25, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
the amount of happiness over killing things is kind of psychopathic.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 26, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »

You are psychopathic

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 28, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »

You must be a vegan.   :D

(Srsly tho, he was pretty pumped because that white dog is pretty young and it was the first time we got to shoot huns over him.  It'd analogous to like your kid standing up for the first time.  A happy moment for sure.)

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 28, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »
EMO, is that you?  :peek:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 28, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
Hey nice rig!  Here's ours. 

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 28, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
like, i really don't care if people go hunting, and i'm pretty sure you are one of those that actually eat the kills so that's cool.  it's just chilling to see people celebrating like that.  if i shot your dog and started high-fiving all my friends, that wouldn't bother you?

maybe i'm just wierd, i thought the party in the streets for killing bin laden was pretty disgusting too.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 28, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »
ps, i don't want to shoot your dog, it's very cute.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 28, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
like, i really don't care if people go hunting, and i'm pretty sure you are one of those that actually eat the kills so that's cool.  it's just chilling to see people celebrating like that.  if i shot your dog and started high-fiving all my friends, that wouldn't bother you?

maybe i'm just wierd, i thought the party in the streets for killing bin laden was pretty disgusting too.

i'm pretty sure everyone would be bothered by killing a domesticated animal :dunno:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 28, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »
It's a weird thing for sure seven.  Like I said, it was more of a celebration of the dog's (puppy's) achievement than the death of those particular birds. 

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »
Wow, I thought the nekkid lady silhouette thingy was only available on mudflaps.    :excited:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »
It's a weird thing for sure seven.  Like I said, it was more of a celebration of the dog's (puppy's) achievement than the death of those particular birds.

alright.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 28, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »

alright.

you could also see it as a celebration of the birds' lives. they were, and are, valuable members of our ecosystem in life and death, since Emo is going to eat them. that's the way I have always seen it. I get real excited after the kill but after the original rush I get pretty sad. I think about the fact that I just killed a living animal and try to do my best to appreciate that it is going to give me food to eat.

I guess you could say that the process of hunting and harvesting game is really the only "spiritual" part of my life.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2013, 04:38:12 PM »

alright.

you could also see it as a celebration of the birds' lives. they were, and are, valuable members of our ecosystem in life and death, since Emo is going to eat them. that's the way I have always seen it. I get real excited after the kill but after the original rush I get pretty sad. I think about the fact that I just killed a living animal and try to do my best to appreciate that it is going to give me food to eat.

I guess you could say that the process of hunting and harvesting game is really the only "spiritual" part of my life.

i could see that, and like i said, i really don't have a problem with people hunting, especially when they use the meat.  there was just something very chilling about that video when they are holding a wounded bird in their hands and hooting and hollering and slapping high fives.  it was like those videos of bad person teenagers setting a dog on fire and laughing as it runs around injured and yelping.

i think this just furthers my suspicion that i would not enjoy hunting at all, and probably shouldn't watch any more videos.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »
Just more videos of SB blaring Sprawl II and driving through the Gallatin National Forest?  :drool:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
Probably about time to start thinking about planning your summer vision quests, guys. :excited:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 27, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »
Here's what I do every year:

1.  Socialize with my wife the idea of a summer trip to MT.  It's usually met with mild support.
2.  Convince myself that anything we can do in July or August we can do in September, when bird hunting season is open, so let's make the trip during that time and if we get to run some dogs that's all gravy.
3.  Decide that she wouldn't appreciate it anyway and just add an extra week on to my usual October fall classic.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 27, 2014, 10:07:13 AM »
Hmm. If I recall (been a while since I read this thread), you are more a hunt'y, Eastern Montana'y type, right? Maybe she would enjoy less of a hunting thing and more of a Glacier National Park thing and then going up to the little part of the forest in Canada? Could be cool? :dunno:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
Hmm. If I recall (been a while since I read this thread), you are more a hunt'y, Eastern Montana'y type, right? Maybe she would enjoy less of a hunting thing and more of a Glacier National Park thing and then going up to the little part of the forest in Canada? Could be cool? :dunno:

We're in central MT.  The area I hunt is on the plains but surrounded by mountain ranges.  Remember "intermountain grassland?"   :D  Was thinking of some hiking up in the mountains and then some horseback rides in some remotes areas.  And then maybe some fishing and some running of the dogs if weather permits. 

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 27, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
Heading back to Yellowstone this summer (getting hitched at Mammoth Hot Springs). I'm about to send in our backcountry permit application for the Lamar Valley, with Slough Creek as a backup.

Planned route: Wind Cave, Crazy Horse, Little Big Horn and then entering Yellowstone at the northeast entrance via Beartooth Highway.

I'm incredibly excited and slightly terrified for that last stretch of road. It crests at 10,947 feet.  :eek:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
Oh man, Slough Creek.  Hiked up to the second meadows one time and saw wolf tracks.  Didn't see any bears but supposedly they are in there pretty thick.

Beartooth sounds rad.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2014, 11:17:23 AM »
(getting hitched at Mammoth Hot Springs).

:surprised:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:07:33 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
Oh man, Slough Creek.  Hiked up to the second meadows one time and saw wolf tracks.  Didn't see any bears but supposedly they are in there pretty thick.

Beartooth sounds rad.

Nice. I'll be happy with either itinerary. Did you fish Slough? It and the Lamar will probably still be in runoff when we're there, but I'll likely still chuck a few streamers or huge nymphs anyway, just to see what happens.

We'd love to see wolves, missed those last summer, but would probably assume keep any grizzly encounters to roadside sightings.

I was initially looking at a campsite right on the edge of the Gallatin Bear Management Area, where off-trail activity is prohibited and groups of at least four are encouraged. But Future Mrs. wELLsculptedbrows and I quickly decided it was probably better not to so obviously tempt fate into ruining the wedding ceremony we are planning to hold in the same basin later that week.

(getting hitched at Mammoth Hot Springs).

:surprise:

If you happen to be in the same vicinity a couple of weeks later than you were last year, I feel like you have to consider yourself invited to crash our reception in the Map Room ... to make up for the missed chance for a Jackson Hole Bat Cat Pak.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 27, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »
Heading back to Yellowstone this summer (getting hitched at Mammoth Hot Springs). I'm about to send in our backcountry permit application for the Lamar Valley, with Slough Creek as a backup.

Planned route: Wind Cave, Crazy Horse, Little Big Horn and then entering Yellowstone at the northeast entrance via Beartooth Highway.

I'm incredibly excited and slightly terrified for that last stretch of road. It crests at 10,947 feet.  :eek:

Grats.

That road isn't horrible. It's at least a decently wide paved road. But definitely no guard rails. I'm not a fan of heights at all, and it took me a minute or two to acclimate to my potential immanent demise. Lamar Valley is one of the coolest, calmest places I've been to. Lots of bears and potential of wolves, so be careful! And mammoth, I love it.