Author Topic: How Many People Around You Receive Food Stamps?  (Read 22578 times)

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How Many People Around You Receive Food Stamps?
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »
San Diego County, CA

222,621 people are in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in your county.
About 6 percent of people in your county are in the program.
That proportion has grown 106 percent since 2000.

The participants received $322,888,000 in benefits

:sdeek:

What's your point? That is like $120 a month per person. Not a huge sum

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »
San Diego County, CA

222,621 people are in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in your county.

Lots of littles add up to a whole lot. But it's really good for the economy!

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »
john doug/republicans would rather those people starve

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »
San Diego County, CA

Lots of littles add up to a whole lot. But it's really good for the economy!

I get the total is a big number, but what is the solution? Clearly you can't reduce the amount each month because $120 is not easy to eat on as it is and I think we can all agree there should not be starving people in America. So the goal should be to reduce the amount of people on food stamps. How do you do that? I don't know, a good start would be to get them jobs that don't pay the shitty minimum wage that currently exists. I think the minimum wage should be raised to some number that actually allows a parent to be home with their kids more and not have to work 2-3 jobs to crape by.  Having said that I also think government assistance should not be a system that exists in perpetuity for individuals. There definitely needs to be some sort of incentive for people to get work and get off food stamps, i.e. a cutoff date perhaps. Combine the two ideas and you, IMO, have started to reduce the amount of money spent on government assistance. 

Elect me because clearly I get crap done.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »

It's the libtards that want to keep those people in poverty. If you were to take all of the money doled out for every government welfare program and used it as incentives to work and produce jobs, it would pretty much end poverty, but they would become republicans.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »

It's the libtards that want to keep those people in poverty. If you were to take all of the money doled out for every government welfare program and used it as incentives to work and produce jobs, it would pretty much end poverty, but they would become republicans.

Sounds like government getting too involved in the private sector.  I'm thinking one of the parties would be against that.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
8% in Miami County KS

:surprised: where at? j-dub spent all of his formative years bouncing around miami county
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline dontfeedthebear

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 02:20:10 PM »
so basically Sarpy Co. is 4% illegal crotch grabbing bird flippers. fantastic.

:horrorsurprise:  SteveDave, you and I are Sarpy County-ians

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »

Sounds like government getting too involved in the private sector.  I'm thinking one of the parties would be against that.

Yeah, welfare seems pretty private sector-y.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »
Adam Carolla has some interesting thoughts on what would happen if you took away welfare.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
4% in Johnson County?! eff. I gotta move.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »

because we're complete studs

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »

Total BS. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »

If you're a corporation, would you rather pay those people minimum wage, or let the government subsidize them? 

Offline dontfeedthebear

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »

because we're complete studs

:thumbs:

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »

If you're a corporation, would you rather pay those people minimum wage, or let the government subsidize them?

I would prefer tax incentives for expanding my business, which will lower unemployment and expand the tax base and revenues for the government.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »

I would prefer tax incentives for expanding my business, which will lower unemployment and expand the tax base and revenues for the government.

We already have tax incentives for businesses, and the average effective corporate tax rate is 12%.

http://business.time.com/2012/02/06/the-corporate-tax-rate-is-at-its-lowest-in-decades-is-big-business-paying-its-fair-share/

The truth is that businesses hire when demand for their product increases.  Consumer demand drives the economy.  When more people have more money to spend, the economy thrives.  This is simple economics.  Tax rates are not the problem right now. 

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »

We already have tax incentives for businesses, and the average effective corporate tax rate is 12%.

http://business.time.com/2012/02/06/the-corporate-tax-rate-is-at-its-lowest-in-decades-is-big-business-paying-its-fair-share/

The truth is that businesses hire when demand for their product increases.  Consumer demand drives the economy.  When more people have more money to spend, the economy thrives.  This is simple economics.  Tax rates are not the problem right now.

We seem to be handing out money at record levels these days. Simple economics don't seem to be working I guess.

Interest rates are super low. Money has never been cheaper, yet the economy still sucks. Blame Bush I guess.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »

People with jobs drive the economy. Even simpler economics.

You can't extort money from one person and give it to another to spend without negative consequences. Just human nature.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »
i thought Riley would be higher, i've always heard it has a very high rate of poverty

College students working part-time jobs are living below the "poverty" line, but if you enrolled as a full-time student with no dependents you are ineligible for SNAP benefits.

A single person would have to be working about 35 hours/week at minimum wage to qualify for SNAP benefits, which if you're willing to work that many hours for minimum wage you're probably Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) enough to need more help than food stamps.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 12:22:33 AM »
I don't know anyone who's on stamps. But then again, I have not asked.

When Mrs. Bones saw this, she immediately said she was not a stamper. I belive her and would know if she was.

FWIW.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »
10%

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
7%, which is less than the rural county where I grew up (8%)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 08:41:23 PM »
Every time I go to Same club some piece of crap is jamming up the line with their vision card that doesn't work or is out of money.  These people will try every card on their body (I saw a lady hand over a hotel key card) before the dip into their bankroll (usually several hundred dollars cash), all while I stand there for countless minutes in shock.  eff them.

If you don't think there's a better way to help these people, you've flat out given up hope.  eff you.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
How Many People Around You Receive Food Stamps?
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 09:26:33 PM »
I have never seen someone using food stamps