Author Topic: House siding  (Read 7528 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: House siding
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
guys- my house is like particle board or something on the outside. anyway, there are a few places on the bottom where that board is rotting or whatever. what to do? house is six or seven years old.

Is your siding touching the ground?

no. a good foot off. can take pics.  :dunno:

Your house isn't nearly as old as mine.  Mine was built in an era when Masonite board was used for siding on the sides and back of the house.  It rots like a mother rough rider.  Maybe you have Masonite board?  :dunno:

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2013, 08:21:31 PM »
i think neighborhood/ schools with non shitty yards and high # of rooms/ toilets / garages has way more impact on resale value than cladding. But whatever. Do vinyl or holy crap put some EIFS with a nice  fake-ass stone wainscot.  make sure that EIFS rough ridin' drains. Paint your mother rough ridin' house brown.  this is JOCO.  This is JOCO.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »
i think neighborhood/ schools with non shitty yards and high # of rooms/ toilets / garages has way more impact on resale value than cladding. But whatever. Do vinyl or holy crap put some EIFS with a nice  fake-ass stone wainscot.  make sure that EIFS rough ridin' drains. Paint your mother rough ridin' house brown.  this is JOCO.  This is JOCO.

Ya, I am not in that part of Joco.  Brown isn't an option on my place.  It's a white colonial, and it will stay a white colonial.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2013, 09:10:39 PM »
guys- my house is like particle board or something on the outside. anyway, there are a few places on the bottom where that board is rotting or whatever. what to do? house is six or seven years old.

Is your siding touching the ground?

no. a good foot off. can take pics.  :dunno:

Your house isn't nearly as old as mine.  Mine was built in an era when Masonite board was used for siding on the sides and back of the house.  It rots like a mother rough rider.  Maybe you have Masonite board?  :dunno:

Whoever invented Masonite and thought it was a good material to use on the exterior of a house deserves a swift kick to the taint.
@mikec2w

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
The hardboard crap they use now really isn't much better then Masonite.  The main thing with any of that stuff is that it is installed properly and then caulked and painted well.  The problem is a lot of builders slap it on all sloppy like and then do a half ass paint job.  None of the problems show up for five to ten years so they don't give a damn.  It normally starts rotting from the bottom first and slowly works it way up and gets all puffed out.  If you catch it early enough they can sometimes cut the bottom rotten part out and then cover it with trim boards.

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »

Ya, I am not in that part of Joco.  Brown isn't an option on my place.  It's a white colonial, and it will stay a white colonial.

there's no shame in vinyl then.  Just make sure your shutters are in good shape and don't actually function as shutters

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
Insurance, fire, profit.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
Insurance, fire, profit.

Quote from: KCFDCAT

:dubious:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »
The hardboard crap they use now really isn't much better then Masonite.  The main thing with any of that stuff is that it is installed properly and then caulked and painted well.  The problem is a lot of builders slap it on all sloppy like and then do a half ass paint job.  None of the problems show up for five to ten years so they don't give a damn.  It normally starts rotting from the bottom first and slowly works it way up and gets all puffed out.  If you catch it early enough they can sometimes cut the bottom rotten part out and then cover it with trim boards.

oh man i think it's this you guys. i don't think the builder was good and it's starting at the bottom in just a few places but it is working up and is getting puffy. it's also like wet all the time. why is it wet? house is seven years old i think. maybe six. what do i do?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 10:21:30 PM »

oh man i think it's this you guys. i don't think the builder was good and it's starting at the bottom in just a few places but it is working up and is getting puffy. it's also like wet all the time. why is it wet? house is seven years old i think. maybe six. what do i do?
Insurance, fire, profit.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »
Do one of those hay mud brick things that hippies build.

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2013, 11:11:40 PM »

I'd find a good painter that also does wood rot repairs and have them come out to take a look.  If your house is only six or seven years old you are probably catching it early.  You may be able to get away with only minimal wood rot repairs and a new paint job.  If they take out all the rot and do a good job with the caulking and painting you should be ok for quite awhile.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »

The properties of cement disagrees with you.  FYI...you can still buy the "Masonite" type siding if you like, but it is not the same as the product that is made with cement.
@mikec2w

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2013, 09:06:17 AM »
the answer is stucco

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »

The properties of cement disagrees with you.  FYI...you can still buy the "Masonite" type siding if you like, but it is not the same as the product that is made with cement.

The hardboard siding I was reffering to is the masonite type of siding not the cement siding.  As I said many builders are still using stuff pretty similar to masonite.   The cement siding you're thinking of is often called Hardie board because James Hardie is the most popular brand but Hardboard siding and Hardie board siding are two very different things.     

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2019, 02:54:13 PM »
Time to dust this bad boy off.  I'm thinking of getting new siding on my house this year.  Has anyone had any noteworthy experiences with siding in the last 6 years?  Is the LP Smartside product worth a darn or should I stick with the Hardie plank stuff?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »
I never did get that siding!  I just ended up paying to have it painted again, and it will probably need it again next summer.  Should have done the siding.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2019, 09:34:08 PM »
Our local Amish use shingles, Tamko 20 yr. guarantee, works for them.  :dubious: