Author Topic: Golf during the business day  (Read 5824 times)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Golf during the business day
« on: April 29, 2013, 12:33:05 AM »
OK guys, wondering what your opinions are on this. Specifically, I own my own business, and frequently receive requests from others to play in various golf events during business hours. Although I love golf, does my absence from the office look bad? I don't think so, but my secretary doesn't want to tell clients I'm out playing golf.

I undersatnd this. Suggestions on other excuses she can use? TIA.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Golf during the business day
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:58:10 AM »
Have your secretary tell people you are an important business man and are out dealing with various important business things

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Golf during the business day
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:34:16 AM »
Meetings all day

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56:36 AM »
Seems like a combo fan thread.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »
Sounds like you need a new secratary, or she needs some extensive training at the Don Draper School.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
OK guys, wondering what your opinions are on this. Specifically, I own my own business, and frequently receive requests from others to play in various golf events during business hours. Although I love golf, does my absence from the office look bad? I don't think so, but my secretary doesn't want to tell clients I'm out playing golf.

I undersatnd this. Suggestions on other excuses she can use? TIA.

Weird that she would tell anyone that you are doing whether it is in a meeting, golfing, or having a poo. "He isn't in right now, may I take a message should work just fine. If for some odd reason people need specifics as to where you are honesty is fine your vendors don't dictate your work schedule and they do leasurly things during the day too.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »

She claims to be painfully honest and believes "he's not in at the moment" is misleading, although it's true. I'm beginning to suspect that her real motive is this: she wants to play golf and to also be involved in the business promo aspect of the game.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:47:22 PM »

She claims to be painfully honest and believes "he's not in at the moment" is misleading, although it's true. I'm beginning to suspect that her real motive is this: she wants to play golf and to also be involved in the business promo aspect of the game.

crap can her now.  She is going to make you look bad on a few occasions by being "painfully honest"

What a self righteous bitch

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:48:45 PM »

Sounds like she should

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Golf during the business day
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:31:23 AM »

Ask her if being "painfully honest" is listed in her job description. Then tell her you are going to be "out of the office" for the next few hours if anyone calls.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Golf during the business day
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 06:56:47 AM »

crap can her now.  She is going to make you look bad on a few occasions by being "painfully honest"

absolutely this.

the standard line in our office is that we're in meetings. say whatever you want though...it's your business.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »
Tell her that if she feels so strongly about this, that she can go be brutally honest for some other company.   Plus playing golf with clients potential clients or potential partners what-have-you . . . last time I checked, was business.   So saying you're out in meetings or something along those lines is not the least bit dishonest in any way.

If she wants to go play golf, tell her to do her job and maybe YOU can grow YOUR company and she can get a promotion if she does her CURRENT JOB well.

I've dealt with people like this before and they weren't long for their role.   

Good lawd.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »
Tell her that if she feels so strongly about this, that she can go be brutally honest for some other company.   Plus playing golf with clients potential clients or potential partners what-have-you . . . last time I checked, was business.   So saying you're out in meetings or something along those lines is not the least bit dishonest in any way.

If she wants to go play golf, tell her to do her job and maybe YOU can grow YOUR company and she can get a promotion if she does her CURRENT JOB well.

I've dealt with people like this before and they weren't long for their role.   
Good lawd.

And when you call them out, they throw the "I am just telling the truth" line which is not totally accurate.  If she wants to be "brutally honest" she had better be up to date on everything you are doing.  Like if you stop to take a piss at the turn, you aren't actually playin golf and she needs to be aware.

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »
Seems weird your secretary is dictating to you and not the other way around.  She should tell them whatever you want her to tell them and like it.  A  lot of golf tournaments are for charity anyway. If you feel she must tell them where you are just have her say you're at a charity event. That said golf during the business day is common especially when it's business related. 

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:57:22 AM »
you should probably send her out golfing and closing deals, while you answer the phones.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »

Agreed.  Her job is to be your buffer, not their friend or advocate.  eff that.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 12:02:45 AM »
She has seen the light, guys. After she reviewed this thread, at my suggestion, she realized that my prior consistent suggestions were, considering the reputation of goE, solid gold and industry standard. goE is definitely on the road to trailblazing human resources practices.

That said, she's fired if she digresses at all.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
make sure to wear a visor and oakley's and salmon polo and your golf shoes and put your glove in your back pocket and then parade through the office on the way out.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »
I just checked out this thread expecting a bunch of _FAN posts on the joys of midweek golfing, but this is really just a How to Handle Your Secretary thread. Turned out just as interesting, if not more so.  :D

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
make sure to wear a visor and oakley's and salmon polo and your golf shoes and put your glove in your back pocket and then parade through the office on the way out.

Take a bunch of practice putts in your office before you leave

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
I took my cousin today who's playing at Baker next year. He's a huge stud. Anyways, we only played 9 holes and I had a birdie and 3 pars. We won't talk about the other 5 holes. :gocho: My Cuz shot E through 9 from the blue tees.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
I came for the golf talk  :confused:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
Your cuz sounds like a real badass!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 04:25:02 PM »
Your cuz sounds like a real badass!
OMG he is! I'm almost too embarrassed to play with him. He went to Piper. Won a state title (team) a couple years ago and finished top 5 in the state this year.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:52:57 PM by WackyCat08 »

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 04:34:57 PM »
I took my cousin today who's playing at Baker next year. He's a huge stud. Anyways, we only played 9 holes and I had a birdie and 3 pars. We won't talk about the other 5 holes. :gocho: My Cuz shot E through 9 from the blue tees.

where did you guys go?