Author Topic: camping/tent stuff question  (Read 19351 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: camping/tent stuff question
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2016, 08:46:20 AM »
I've been wanting one of these:  http://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tent/

You could get down some nasty roads, actually turn around.  The trailer pull thing is for people who don't really want to be outside.

Offline kansas_troll_patrol

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
  • Do you have a permit for that thing?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2021, 12:29:20 PM »
I just got a small RV for my family.  This is new for us and I'm excited & nervous.  I would love any tips or ideas from fellow local RVers.  I think our first weekend or two will be somewhere local.  I'm sure we'll learn a lot then.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2021, 12:42:39 PM »
Great place to stick the in-laws during the holidays
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2021, 12:47:40 PM »
this thread has exploded into my awareness

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »
I just got a small RV for my family.  This is new for us and I'm excited & nervous.  I would love any tips or ideas from fellow local RVers.  I think our first weekend or two will be somewhere local.  I'm sure we'll learn a lot then.

So, I guess you decided you don't really want to be outside.  :)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2021, 01:35:45 PM »
following classic stevedave mode i asked for advice and then ignored everyone and did what i wanted. got the coleman 8man instant tent thing. pretty nice. took it out last weekend and it survived some rain and stuff w/ no problem. caught some fish. 1 bass. 6 cat. 3 bluegill. also a caught a turtle. also you guys guess what? they make glow in the dark bobbers. mind blown. what a country!

I'm glad we got this resolution to the OP, but now I want to know what amazing camping journeys master camper daris has been keeping from us for the last 6 years.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2021, 01:46:12 PM »
one time i went camping as a kid and one of the dads rented a gorilla costume and scared the living crap out of all the kids. never been camping since.

amaze

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2021, 02:09:43 PM »
this thread has exploded into my awareness

Same, 9 pages and I've never seen it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »

parked on a residential street outside your children or grandchildren's house in fresno seems like a popular option, but i dunno.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2021, 04:20:10 PM »
following classic stevedave mode i asked for advice and then ignored everyone and did what i wanted. got the coleman 8man instant tent thing. pretty nice. took it out last weekend and it survived some rain and stuff w/ no problem. caught some fish. 1 bass. 6 cat. 3 bluegill. also a caught a turtle. also you guys guess what? they make glow in the dark bobbers. mind blown. what a country!

I'm glad we got this resolution to the OP, but now I want to know what amazing camping journeys master camper daris has been keeping from us for the last 6 years.

true story alert***

since then i bought a nice backpack, lightweight tent, water filter plus other hiking stuff and have hiked eagle rock loop in arkansas twice with a couple of friends. 30 miles up over and around. did both hikes in about 2.5 days and two nights each time. some of the best days of my life.   :love: :love: :love:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arkansas/eagle-rock-loop-trail

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2021, 04:20:46 PM »

congrats ktp! looks fun.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2021, 04:23:07 PM »
gonna be honest. no one in this thread has mentioned anything that qualifies as actual camping.

Does eating berries you found and wiping your ass with leaves qualify?  Seems like it would make the experience even less enjoyable,which always struck me as sort of the point of camping.  "That's not real camping son, you gotta punch yourself in your own face while you do it and then we can talk. It ain't camping if'n it ain't awful is what my daddy always used to say."

:lol: We need bread back.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2021, 04:25:02 PM »

true story alert***

since then i bought a nice backpack, lightweight tent, water filter plus other hiking stuff and have hiked eagle rock loop in arkansas twice with a couple of friends. 30 miles up over and around. did both hikes in about 2.5 days and two nights each time. some of the best days of my life.   :love: :love: :love:

Sounds amazing! Tell us about your gear

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2021, 04:28:25 PM »
That lil RV looks great. It's amazing how expensive even the little guys are  :sdeek:

My friends and I did a ton of camping last summer (typical covid move) and it was quite a lot of fun. Mostly local stuff around the KC area (Jocomo, Hillsdale, Clinton) and a time out a Tuttle, but still, was good to get out. We all used tents, which wasn't too bad. We just got sites in the RV areas and partied it up, Days we went out to lots of Kansas history sites (like Osawatomie, Lecompton) and the like. Was fun, we hope to push further into KS like Council Grove, Kanopolis, etc.

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2021, 04:31:20 PM »
Cross post from the farm thread but this beautiful masterpiece from meade kansas has been sitting in a barn on our farm without use for about 30 years.

My dad has been talking about buying a full bed pickup to haul it around since I was a kid but has yet to pull the trigger.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2021, 12:00:03 PM »
Cross post from the farm thread but this beautiful masterpiece from meade kansas has been sitting in a barn on our farm without use for about 30 years.

My dad has been talking about buying a full bed pickup to haul it around since I was a kid but has yet to pull the trigger.

That might be a super valuable antique. Very interesting.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2021, 12:03:32 PM »
I wanted to buy a camper that fit in the bed of my truck but my wife vetoed it.  Sad.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2021, 12:04:12 PM »

true story alert***

Sounds amazing! Tell us about your gear
pls post pics where you lay out all of the gear that you use for a trip like this. would love to do through hiking like the Colorado Trail sometime. Mrs SSOC likes to hike but prefers to sleep inside an actual building at night.

Offline saracd112

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 13, 2021, 09:11:32 AM »
recommend the most comfortable air/tent mattress thing you can think of along with one that is not as good but costs half as much.

I have Big Agnes air mattress right now, which is super comfortable, pretty easy to blow up even after a day of backpacking (but I would spring for self inflating if I was still doing this a lot) and folds up to the size of a Nalgene bottle. 

It's great, but I wish I had known about this one before I bought it:

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/sleeping-pads/static-v.html

Would love to have this chamber pattern, so you don't slip around.

They don't get a whole lot cheaper than $60, but there are always end-of-year sales, Sierra Trading Post, Steep and Cheap, The Clymb, etc.

Actually this sounds like a hell of deal (half the price of original recommendation as requested) and has great reviews, and Sierra Trading Post has 35% off promo codes on the reg.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/hyalite-equipment-classic-sleeping-pad-regular-air-channel~p~5825k/?filterString=sleeping-pads~d~210%2F&colorFamily=01

i have a couple of twin sized air mattresses in my basement that i never use. maybe strap one to my sled and then take it out and load it up in the tent. thoughts? will park rangers cuss me out or other campers make fun of me though? that worries me.

Totally acceptable.

For car camping/cuddling, I bought this: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-mountaineering-air-bed-queen-rechargeable-pump~p~4195f/?filterString=sleeping-pads~d~210%2F S'ok, I dunno. Rechargeable battery lasts forever. Seems to hold air reasonably well, but it will still be relatively soft in the morning.

Shop Now

Here You Can get the best Current klymit Coupons In 2021. Also, get Free shipping In the US.