Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 219134 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #575 on: April 21, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »
There are lots of things that can be used against any school in the recruitment process.

Is there a school that goes in and positions themselves in recruiting by telling recruits that if they (the coaches who are doing the recruiting) are fired, don't worry, because the recruit will be given an immediate release by the school to follow the former coaches to wherever they end up?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 21, 2014, 11:09:20 AM »
When Jay Bilas gets his way, and we turn athletic departments into for-profit organizations and start treating athletes like employees, we'll dump women's basketball and every other women's sport and none of this will even matter.

The absolute worst thing about the abolish the NCAA and pay athletes crowd is that they'll tell you that they care about the athletes and the NCAA doesn't. However, they completely ignore that their model would hurt many more athletes than it would help.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 21, 2014, 11:31:04 AM »
Here's how I see this shaking out:
  • This isn't going to really affect KSU's recruiting in any sport.
  • Leti may have diminished whatever her chances were to play in the WNBA by going to the press with overblown complaints and misstated facts.
  • Shalee may have improved her chances of getting a good coaching job by bringing along a good player.
:zzz:
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 21, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
  • Leti may have diminished whatever her chances were to play in the WNBA by going to the press with overblown complaints and misstated facts.
  • Shalee may have improved her chances of getting a good coaching job by bringing along a good player.

That sound about right (including :zzz:)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 21, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
I like Jay Bilas and think he has a lot of good ideas and soapbox causes.   But I have 2 very good friends in the legal community in Charlotte who know Jay, and Jay is all about Jay; first, foremost and always. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 21, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »
You're such a hypocrite, Dax.  If KU was holding one of our players hostage, you'd be on one of your anti-KU crusades for weeks on end.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 21, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »

1. You don't know that.
2. :ROFL: you really don't think some pro team is going to care about a freshman airing grievances against her school do you? I mean even if she gets drafted it won't be until 2017 at the earliest. Are you saying this is a character issue that will follow her for three years?
3. We all agree with this

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 21, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »
I really like K-State. I don't like that this is making K-State look like trash. If there was actually something we could do to make anyone talking bad about us look like trash instead I vote we do that. Like, don't "take the high road" if it means K-State looks better. Go ahead and take the low road and look like studs. Because right now we look like trash.

aside from the very angry people in this thread, i honestly don't think anyone cares enough about this for it to make k-state look like trash

jay bilas only jumped on it because it helps him further his agenda and otherwise wouldn't know we had a woman's basketball team

You really don't think that this could be used against, K-State wbb and/or other sports in recruiting? This isn't one coach it's an athletic department policy.

Also your stance of this doesn't matter because no one cares about women's basketball is surprisingly unrefined.

i certainly think it can be used against us.  i'm quite sure that it will be.  when it is, i hope that the staff addresses the issue with the recruit and explains why k-state felt the need to take the stance that they have.

i just don't think it's on the radar of the majority of the college athletics world.  and i never claimed it doesn't matter because no one cares about women's basketball- simply stating that bilas' outrage is nothing but self serving at best.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 21, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »

1. You don't know that.
2. :ROFL: you really don't think some pro team is going to care about a freshman airing grievances against her school do you? I mean even if she gets drafted it won't be until 2017 at the earliest. Are you saying this is a character issue that will follow her for three years?
3. We all agree with this

Yeah, this probably doesn't matter for the WNBA or any European leagues.

And while nobody knows how much it might affect recruiting, I think it will be minimal at most. Other schools might use it for negative recruiting, but this is a pretty unique situation because there was a coaching change. I really think the biggest problem here is that Romero's main US handler is probably Shalee and they didn't do a very good job keeping things quiet once Shalee quit. IMO.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 21, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »
You're such a hypocrite, Dax.  If KU was holding one of our players hostage, you'd be on one of your anti-KU crusades for weeks on end.

Where have I said K-State was absolutely in the right here? 

I haven't.

I've said K-State is in the right IF one or two very SPECIFIC things were happening. 

LOL, in your bipolar, multi-board rage and affirmation fests, where you have an absolute free reign to post whatever you want too here.  You're the last person who should be calling anyone a hypocrite.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 21, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »

If she's a borderline player, I think it will be taken into consideration in 2017 or whenever, yes.  She went to the press to accuse KSU of "blackmail" during the transfer approval process.  (That was her word, not the reporters' right?)  That's pretty unusual, and might give a coach/GM pause.  All I can say is if I were hiring an employee in a business that gets press, I would take it into consideration.

If she turns into a first-round lock, no, it won't matter at all.  Not at all.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 21, 2014, 01:03:18 PM »
i honestly don't think anyone cares enough about this for it to make k-state look like trash

goEMAW's constant fight against any injustice universally acknowledged to be unjust.  #racism, #homophobia, #poors, #romero.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 21, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »
I think most of you are looking at the situation all wrong.  This could actually really help our recruiting in the long run.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 21, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »

LOL, in your bipolar, multi-board rage and affirmation fests, where you have an absolute free reign to post whatever you want too here.  You're the last person who should be calling anyone a hypocrite.

Pretty hypocritical to call someone unstable in the same sentence in which you invoke the name of Lucifer, your Lord.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 21, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
She went to the press to accuse KSU of "blackmail" during the transfer approval process.  (That was her word, not the reporters' right?) 

Definitely hers and not the reporters'.  In fact, Kinder tried to bail her out by omitting it from his initial story, which is kind of weird.

Romero said she felt like K-State was “blackmailing” her to stay. That’s an awfully strong way to describe what she’s gone through in the past month and I have no doubt that’s truly how she feels. Romero speaks with conviction.

Even so, I chose not to use that comment in my initial story on Tuesday that first reported Romero is seeking a transfer because I felt it was too loaded and wasn’t needed to accurately tell her story. Another outlet did and this entire thing went national by Wednesday, which put even more pressure on K-State.

- See more at: http://themercury.com/articles/kinder-romeros-case-makes-k-state-look-like-a-bully#sthash.yv9aZZeX.dpuf

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 21, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »

Pretty hypocritical to call someone unstable in the same sentence in which you invoke the name of Lucifer, your Lord.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 21, 2014, 02:39:30 PM »
Left with nothing again.  Sorry Beems, but probably one of your worst efforts.

Maybe next time.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 21, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

Que?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 21, 2014, 03:11:14 PM »

Maybe next time.

LOL, in your bipolar, multi-board rage and affirmation fests, where you have an absolute free reign to post whatever you want too here.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 21, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »

Maybe next time.

LOL, in your bipolar, multi-board rage and affirmation fests, where you have an absolute free reign to post whatever you want too here.

Copying and pasting brilliance will win you no favor.

Sorry . . . Friends?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 21, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
She went to the press to accuse KSU of "blackmail" during the transfer approval process.  (That was her word, not the reporters' right?) 

Definitely hers and not the reporters'.  In fact, Kinder tried to bail her out by omitting it from his initial story, which is kind of weird.

Romero said she felt like K-State was “blackmailing” her to stay. That’s an awfully strong way to describe what she’s gone through in the past month and I have no doubt that’s truly how she feels. Romero speaks with conviction.

Even so, I chose not to use that comment in my initial story on Tuesday that first reported Romero is seeking a transfer because I felt it was too loaded and wasn’t needed to accurately tell her story. Another outlet did and this entire thing went national by Wednesday, which put even more pressure on K-State.

- See more at: http://themercury.com/articles/kinder-romeros-case-makes-k-state-look-like-a-bully#sthash.yv9aZZeX.dpuf

WTF? Man our media is so terrible, I'm sure it is on par with most small college town media though. He omitted what the story was to protect K-State, what a joke.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 21, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »

WTF? Man our media is so terrible, I'm sure it is on par with most small college town media though. He omitted what the story was to protect K-State, what a joke.

All you have to when reading a Josh Kinder story is to remember that the quotes in the story may be inaccurate or incomplete, but whatever is missing wasn't necessary for the story, in Josh Kinder's opinion.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 21, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »

Maybe next time.

Copying and pasting brilliance will win you no favor.

Sorry . . . Friends?

I'm still waiting for you to finish that sentence.

Offline yoman

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 22, 2014, 12:23:22 AM »
Did the Angel comment ever get clarified?

No. From what I have gathered in this thread and on twitter, the investigation is ongoing and headed by Trim
I think this yoman guy is on to something....

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 22, 2014, 12:55:22 AM »
What other "high profile" athletes are angry with K-State?

I mean, I heard for the longest time that Martin Gramatica wouldn't come back to K-State because of something that the Weefer or at least because of something someone in the Weefer/Weiser/Krause/Snyder junta did.

Who else is mad?  Besides members of the former women's basketball coaching staff who were rightly let go after 5 years of plummeting results??

I was wondering the same thing. Did this question ever get answered?