Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 330207 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #325 on: April 18, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »
I work for an independant financial advisor and we charge 1% for our fee-based accts

welp, sounds like a ripoff daddy

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
Since we're on the subject, Edward Jones is a piece of crap company and no one should ever use them

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 18, 2013, 09:47:47 AM »
what if we real life match maker'd daddy claxton and ell into an investor relationship?  :D

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #328 on: April 18, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
#temo  :emawkid:

still not on board with market timing.

It's not market timing!  :shakesfist:  ( :D)

it is absolutely market timing.

(I think people were dismissing this system not just because he isn't likeable, but also because he didn't seem to know what he was talking about.)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 18, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »
Since we're on the subject, Edward Jones is a piece of crap company and no one should ever use them

Apparently Edward Jones is making new reps go door to door again....really ups the prestige of your company.

I was talking with one of my buddies the other day about investing and he was super proud to say he uses edward jones. I asked him what he had with them(IRA, Brokerage, etc) and he had no idea, he just gives them a check every month because his dad told him to use them.  :angry:

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 18, 2013, 09:51:30 AM »
Doubt he'd beat the market by 3% but would probably beat what I'd do on my own by more than 3%. I have too much of my employer's stock (unavoidable) and I am horrible at getting out of it properly and timely.

Thanks for the info ERiI. I have something to negotiate with. If not, i'll get your card

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 18, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
Doubt he'd beat the market by 3% but would probably beat what I'd do on my own by more than 3%.

Matching the market is easy. That's essentially what the best tips in this thread have pointed to imo.

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 18, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
I started out w/ EJ after college, went door to door a little here in mhk for practice then did their training program at the home office in St Louis. They've made some drastic changes recently and have really gone down hill. They push their advisors to put everything in "advisory solution" (fee-based) and just do nothing. When SteveDave says financial advisors don't do what's in your best interest, he's talking about Edward Jones

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2013, 10:03:53 AM »
I started out w/ EJ after college, went door to door a little here in mhk for practice then did their training program at the home office in St Louis. They've made some drastic changes recently and have really gone down hill. They push their advisors to put everything in "advisory solution" (fee-based) and just do nothing. When SteveDave says financial advisors don't do what's in your best interest, he's talking about Edward Jones

I'm talking about all of the large brokerages (and probably small as well though I don't have 1st hand knowledge). I know there are good people in the industry (you and Rams I'm sure are great) but you have to admit that the majority of advisors out there are trying to sell either garbage product or garbage service.

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 18, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »

I'm talking about all of the large brokerages (and probably small as well though I don't have 1st hand knowledge). I know there are good people in the industry (you and Rams I'm sure are great) but you have to admit that the majority of advisors out there are trying to sell either garbage product or garbage service.

I agree. Case in point, we just transfered a client's portfolio over and her previous advisor must have caught wind the client was going to transfer so she bought 18 different mutual funds with the cash that was sitting in the account 2 days before the transfer

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 18, 2013, 10:09:11 AM »

I agree. Case in point, we just transfered a client's portfolio over and her previous advisor must have caught wind the client was going to transfer so she bought 18 different mutual funds with the cash that was sitting in the account 2 days before the transfer

:sdeek:

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 18, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
I don't know anything about the work he does, but my friend works for EJ in Wichita and he makes an absurd amount of money for his age.  I tend to think he does good work, but I'm a bit biased obviously since he is a good friend.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #337 on: April 18, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
#temo  :emawkid:

still not on board with market timing.

It's not market timing!  :shakesfist:  ( :D)

it is absolutely market timing.

(I think people were dismissing this system not just because he isn't likeable, but also because he didn't seem to know what he was talking about.)

I absolutely know what I'm talking about.  I went all OCD on this a while ago.  I'm having trouble explaining it and you guys understanding it because we don't have a common frame of reference and vocabulary.  Also the stimulus antibody response thing.  It's also text on a screen with no visual aids.  I'll add some VA, or just start a new thread on TA to prevent further mucking up this one.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 18, 2013, 10:14:38 AM »

yeah...and it's an overwhelmingly disgusting majority.  truth be told though, over half of those "advisors" are so stupid they actually think what they're doing is good for their client.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2013, 10:15:52 AM »
are there index funds for penny stock markets?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »

haha, not yet

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »
Look, dumbass, there have been several people that made spurious claims "guaranteeing" an annual return.  I never did that bullshit and simply said that making trades in a brokerage account when you have less than $10,000 (which many "new" investors would be starting with) is idiotic.  I listed the reasons.  Look at the thread title.  Your situation seems to be significantly different, you also are a pretty smart guy, but don't resort to making arguments that dismiss points that several of the advocates for a strategy (for people that probably aren't you) didn't make.

emo stated in his original post that with his strategy, he'd made a very limited number of trades over a moderate time frame.  you ignored his actual, real world results and attacked some strawman argument in your head, so i ignored your post and addressed the more relevant people misguidedly attacking emo.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »

haha, not yet

The first guy who comes out with the pendex fund is going to be rich. I think that guy is going to be me. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get the ball rolling on this?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 18, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »

haha, not yet

The first guy who comes out with the pendex fund is going to be rich. I think that guy is going to be me. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get the ball rolling on this?

the fund will have to cost about 2 cents a share because a big part of penny stock investors enjoyment is the fact that they are so cheap (not relative to market cap or any other metric, just cash). you can throw whatever else you want in it and you will be good to go.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 18, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
Also, if you are wondering, the annual contribution limit is based on total contributions to all Traditional and Roth IRA's, so having multiple IRA's does not allow you to contribute more.
Isn't Gooch like one of the luckiest SOB's on the planet?
 :cheers:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 18, 2013, 10:41:16 AM »

haha, not yet

the fund will have to cost about 2 cents a share because a big part of penny stock investors enjoyment is the fact that they are so cheap (not relative to market cap or any other metric, just cash). you can throw whatever else you want in it and you will be good to go.

I will create the Pennies and Cents 500 and sell an index of that for $5 per share. Hopefully those penny investor guys can see the value of getting an index of 500 different stocks for $5. Just think of the growth potential.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »
so my 401(k) is all in VFIFX and it's at around $15k after like 2.75 years with the company

I also have around $1200 in a schwab investor fund invested in SWDSX

am I doing anything stupid, and if so, what can I do that's smarter?  move the $1200 with schwab into a vanguard roth?  do roths have minimum investments?  my main thing is that represents a decent chunk of my current savings and I would like to keep it easily accessible in case I have a big financial emergency, so if a roth means I can't pull it out easily, I don't want to do that.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »

haha, not yet

I will create the Pennies and Cents 500 and sell an index of that for $5 per share. Hopefully those penny investor guys can see the value of getting an index of 500 different stocks for $5. Just think of the growth potential.

it would have to go up to 10 to double their investment. won't work. if it's 2 cents it only has to go to 4 cents to double. think like a penny stock investor NK.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 18, 2013, 10:44:38 AM »
Doubt he'd beat the market by 3% but would probably beat what I'd do on my own by more than 3%.

Matching the market is easy. That's essentially what the best tips in this thread have pointed to imo.
I could handle dumping all the cash into index funds. My problem is knowing when to sell the company stock for proper earnings and favorable tax treatment. Might be just my ignorance that scares me.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 18, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »
Up to 3%. Is that reasonable?
not only is it unreasonable, I'm pretty sure it's illegal.  you have to be misunderstanding him.  I don't think you can legally charge over 2.5% per year for aum (not 100% sure on that though).  most RIA's I've seen set maximums around 2%.  the highest I've ever seen actually charged is 1.75% and you should never pay more than 1%.  I guess some strictly fee-only advisors charge based on total estate assets (house, land, etc.) so that might be the case.  I don't have a lot of experience with fee-only advisors.

but to answer your question, if he's advertising himself as fee-only then he absolutely cannot make commissions on anything he does unless he wants to lose his licenses and pay massive fines.  there are some good regulations in this industry.  not nearly enough, but there are some.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."