Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 330806 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »
What about old home in LLC being rented?  LLC would likely also include some farm ground.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2013, 09:59:03 AM »
pro-tip: home business tax shelter. everyone should have one.
that's pretty aggressive.  just make sure it's at least mostly legit.  you're begging for an audit.

I didn't say fake home business.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
What about old home in LLC being rented?  LLC would likely also include some farm ground.
holy crap yes.  any rentals should be in an llc immediately.  like yesterday.  single member llc's are really easy to set up yourself in kansas.  and yeah you can lump in the farm ground too.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 17, 2013, 10:03:34 AM »
that's pretty aggressive.  just make sure it's at least mostly legit.  you're begging for an audit.

you just weren't very clear.  not everyone has the circumstances to create a home business but a lot of people do so just to get the tax benefits.  it's an audit red flag and you should just be careful.  that's all I was saying.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »
also, someone rename this thread as personal finance for recent grads and start an investment thread.

I think the title is appropriate. Most people that are like, "Hey, I think I'd like to invest some money", aren't aware of 401k's or Roth IRA's.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »
ben ji this is why we need to have meetings with your puppy. i have no idea what these dorks are talking about
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »

you just weren't very clear.  not everyone has the circumstances to create a home business but a lot of people do so just to get the tax benefits.  it's an audit red flag and you should just be careful.  that's all I was saying.

:rolleyes:

almost everyone does something on the side or could potentially do something on the side. people should realize that the benefits of this go well beyond whatever income you think you can generate.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »
is there a way to compare roth IRA's from different providers to see which is the best? are all roths ira's basically the same and the differences in providers just customer service stuff and available funds?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »
is there a way to compare roth IRA's from different providers to see which is the best? are all roths ira's basically the same and the differences in providers just customer service stuff and available funds?

rules are set by the gov. there isn't a lot of difference between the major players.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
holy crap yes.  any rentals should be in an llc immediately.  like yesterday.  single member llc's are really easy to set up yourself in kansas.  and yeah you can lump in the farm ground too.

Some family currently does some rentals, buying/fixing up/flipping homes in the winter when farming is slow (no cattle).  Been pretty successful at it for a few years now.  Thinking about doing something similar, or throwing my current house into his LLC and bringing some additional stuff in trade for interest in farm ground.  I don't really want to have to do the "administration" part of renting a house but he's happy to do that for me.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2013, 10:10:05 AM »

Go with Vanguard because they have the lowest fees. You can look around, but I'm guessing Vanguard will always win out.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 17, 2013, 10:12:26 AM »
If you don't need your money for quite a while, I wouldn't invest in bonds. 

Look at the historical returns.  Large cap equities are at around 10% since WW2, and bonds are maybe 6% or lower, IIRC.

I know I sound like a broken record, but buy an S&P index fund and sleep well.

hmm.  i still think it's more complicated than that.  i mean, these fund managers aren't always holding to maturity are they?  and even if they are, if you're in the bond fund for a short to moderate time frame, you can't expect the fund price to appreciate at the same rate as the returns of the bonds in the fund.

but, i'll take your advice to continue ignoring bonds.  at least for now.  that's easier for me anyways.

not just going to dump everything in a domestic index though.  too boring.  stock/sector picking is fun to me.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »

Go with Vanguard because they have the lowest fees. You can look around, but I'm guessing Vanguard will always win out.

What's the interface like?  Like I have E*trade and set up another in Scottrade for lower fees but that interface sucks and I hate it.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »

Don't forget the keys to the winery!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 17, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »

What's the interface like?  Like I have E*trade and set up another in Scottrade for lower fees but that interface sucks and I hate it.

I really don't know. I set up an automatic investment and never touch it. You really probably shouldn't know what it's like unless you are increasing your automatic investment.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 17, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »

vanguard has a great website.
emaw

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »

vanguard has a great website.
:thumbsup:Some pretty good financial tools on that site.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »
ben ji this is why we need to have meetings with your puppy. i have no idea what these dorks are talking about

I only have a rudimentary understanding of what they are saying. You really dont need to worry about bonds until you get closer to retirement age unless you are a very active investor.

You are young, put your money into growth/index funds and you will have 20+ years to figure out what they are talking about.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »
If you invest in facebook let me know so I can slap you in the face for being an idiot

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
For the index funders, do you guys sell off on like 180 day crossovers or just ride everything out?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
For the index funders, do you guys sell off on like 180 day crossovers or just ride everything out?

do you watch cramer or some stupid crap?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »

"Hey, I'm going to post in an investment thread for advice and just completely ignore every rough ridin' investment advice previously posted".

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »

"Hey, I'm going to post in an investment thread for advice and just completely ignore every rough ridin' investment advice previously posted".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
Nothing like a financial discussion to bring out the prick in everyone.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2013, 10:51:30 AM »

I only have a rudimentary understanding of what they are saying. You really dont need to worry about bonds until you get closer to retirement age unless you are a very active investor.

You are young, put your money into growth/index funds and you will have 20+ years to figure out what they are talking about.

k cool thx. will post back in this thread when im like 50. hopefully youre not retired from being my personal finance director by then  :crossfingers:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.