Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327233 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2013, 04:27:55 PM »
I dont know anything about pensions, dont have one  :frown:.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
Let's talk student loans, and not those pud undergrad ones with 1.9% interest.  I am talking grown ass man grad school student loans with the terrible interest rates.  Is there any way to consolidate with a better rate or term?   
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »
Let's talk student loans, and not those pud undergrad ones with 1.9% interest.  I am talking grown ass man grad school student loans with the terrible interest rates.  Is there any way to consolidate with a better rate or term?

Also answer this for married couple, can combine?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »

What rate are you paying? Maybe you could refinance your house and use that money to pay off the student loans. It really kind of depends on your situation.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »

What rate are you paying? Maybe you could refinance your house and use that money to pay off the student loans. It really kind of depends on your situation.
Planning on moving soon, so that hampers things a bit.  Paying 6.7% on a 10-yr term,  :barf:.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
I dont know anything about pensions, dont have one  :frown:.

Don't you have to work somewhere like 10 years to get a pension?  I don't think its some retirement thing that you can just throw money at.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
I always just max out my roth IRA contribution in January each year.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »

Planning on moving soon, so that hampers things a bit.  Paying 6.7% on a 10-yr term,  :barf:.

I always thought consolidation was more to lengthen the term and lower the monthly payment, not really to help with the rate...  :frown:
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
if I work for this company until I'm 55 I get 967.68 a month until I die.  or a bunch of other silly options that are all like 900 a month or so.  or I can take 1879.52 for 10 years.  or I can get a lump sum of 197,519.20.  that's pretty cool I guess.

1. Lump sum
2. craps thread
3. profit

hmm, good idea. or I could live off my 401 and take my 900 a month and just go play craps with it.
emaw

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
I'm just planning on living really hard and hoping science stalls.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2013, 06:04:22 PM »

I always thought consolidation was more to lengthen the term and lower the monthly payment, not really to help with the rate...  :frown:
Well, you guys are really stumped on this one...

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »
2 things have become painfully obvious in this thread.

#1 stevedave actually works in the finance industry and has for a while.
       1a. there are a couple who like to think they could work in the finance industry.

#2 this entire thread would only be one, maybe two pages if the posters referenced in 1a knew how to work google.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2013, 06:53:02 PM »
are index funds good?  that's what my 401 is. am I smart?
emaw

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2013, 07:12:09 PM »
2 things have become painfully obvious in this thread.

#1 stevedave actually works in the finance industry and has for a while.
       1a. there are a couple who like to think they could work in the finance industry.
       1b. reidrolled is a hater who doesnt like it when friends give advice to friends

#2 this entire thread would only be one, maybe two pages if the posters referenced in 1a knew how to work google.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2013, 07:27:40 PM »
Seems hard to invest a ton of money in retirement from my seat at age 20-something. I have very few monthly expenses... pretty much just student loans and rent, but I feel like watching all that money pile up in my checking account is a bad idea. Guys, what if I have to buy a wedding ring or something in 2 years? Should I be paying my student loans off at a higher rate? Seems silly, they are ridiculously high as is. Oh that leads me to another question... wtf is consolidating student loans? Should I do that? Will it lower my payments? GUYS!!!!

not federal loans. if you have multiple private loans, you can consolidate them and save money.

I consolidated all my fed loans except Perkins. was that dumb?  crap!
emaw

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
Alright, next step, you guys...

Have a 401K brewing with the maximum match and just opened a Roth IRA. What else? Wouldn't mind playing the market a little bit at a time. What's the best way to do that? Does goEMAW.com have stock? I know a good investment when I see one.

Give me your money, KSC. I'll be sure that your money makes money.  I was thinking about Herbalife or this one startup that takes precious metals out of all the poor countries in Africa and moves them to Belgium.

Send me a PM

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »

Yeah index finds are good because they have lower fees and most actively managed funds don't beat their indexes anyway.

Lots of people are touting Roths and they are good but the problem is you can phase out of them pretty easily especially if you are married and both you and your spouse have good jobs.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2013, 07:56:27 PM »

Yeah index finds are good because they have lower fees and most actively managed funds don't beat their indexes anyway.

Lots of people are touting Roths and they are good but the problem is you can phase out of them pretty easily especially if you are married and both you and your spouse have good jobs.

most of my fiancées income is going toward building a pool full of gold coins for me to swim in like Scrooge McDuck, but after that what should I invest her income in?
emaw

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2013, 08:10:11 PM »

most of my fiancées income is going toward building a pool full of gold coins for me to swim in like Scrooge McDuck, but after that what should I invest her income in?

Well the good news is gold is tanking lately and is well off it's highs so you're going to save some money on that pool.  Once you get that built id probably stuck with the index funds.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »
My student loans are 6.8%  :goodbyecruelworld:

Might move to Canada...
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2013, 09:39:46 PM »
Our company's 401k is through Vanguard so we have about 20 different Vanguard funds to choose from as well as all their target retirement funds. It's pretty baller. We also have a Roth 401k option. 100% match to 6%.

pretty nice.  i can't complain about my 401k, except that the self-invest options suck ass.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
also, someone rename this thread as personal finance for recent grads and start an investment thread.  in that thread, someone explain bonds to me.  not like i'm a six year old, like i'm really smart.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »
My advisor has averaged close to 10% for 3 years, is this a ponzi?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
also, someone rename this thread as personal finance for recent grads and start an investment thread.  in that thread, someone explain bonds to me.  not like i'm a six year old, like i'm really smart.

Bonds, or bond funds?  Very different.

Lot of people who just buy bonds look at "par" values and rates of return and that stuff, but that's missing the point.

Bond fund mangers focus on what they call "credit tear downs."   They focus all of their energy on trying to figure out if a given debtor can pay their bills.  Their goal is to find firms who are regarded as credit risks by the general public, but who actually have the cash/assets to pay their bills and service their debt.

So, if you want to really understand bonds, you need to under stand balance sheets and credit tear downs....just like the bond fund guys do.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »
My advisor has averaged close to 10% for 3 years, is this a ponzi?

Two years ago, maybe....now, not unlikely.  Cash out, and buy an S&P index fund.  Pay super low (next to none) fees, and "match" the market every year.  Retire happy and play botche ball with me and drink little old man beers.