Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327130 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3500 on: February 19, 2021, 10:50:20 AM »
I have a roughly equal amount in ARRK, ARKQ, ARKW, ARKG and double in ARKF. The ARKK is obviously just doubling down on the holdings of the others. I want to make sure Cathie has the entirety of my back not just certain sectors of it.

I was left unprotected and unawares.  Won't happen again.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: February 19, 2021, 10:56:32 AM »
this thread's evolution from taxadvantaged bogleheads to daytrading cryptobros has been a trip.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: February 19, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »
this thread's evolution from taxadvantaged bogleheads to daytrading cryptobros has been a trip.
lmao yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: February 19, 2021, 11:42:16 AM »
I will not be moved. Just set up auto deposits for 4 different mutual funds that probably all include the same stocks.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3504 on: February 19, 2021, 11:43:58 AM »
After doing more research, I think I'm likely throwing away some tax advantages from my allocations between my roth 401k and HSA contributions.
Max out the HSA, pay for expenses with a cash back card, and invest what you can from the HSA balance, and you’ll be in great shape tax advantage wise.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: February 19, 2021, 12:02:26 PM »

I never ended up day trading, I have pretty much everything in the S&P 500 now and don't think about it

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: February 19, 2021, 12:18:37 PM »

Still a boglehead  :don'tcare:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: February 19, 2021, 12:23:07 PM »

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: February 19, 2021, 12:28:31 PM »
My own journey for the duration of this thread has basically gone from 13 year-old trying a sip of champagne at one summer wedding to upperclassman regularly hitting Aggieville five nights a week.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: February 19, 2021, 02:17:34 PM »
My own journey for the duration of this thread has basically gone from 13 year-old trying a sip of champagne at one summer wedding to upperclassman regularly hitting Aggieville five nights a week.

Would love to hear more, post more about this

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: February 19, 2021, 02:19:29 PM »

Yes, tell us the chum1 bildungsroman.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: February 19, 2021, 02:41:56 PM »
Did you guys miss chum algo week?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: February 19, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »

2013ish: had one share of Krispy Kreme for the hell of it (and then later completely forgot about it and lost track of it)

2016ish-2018ish: experimented with buying stocks here and there just to see what would happen:

I picked up a little of this stock like a year ago in an attempt to buy low. Here's what it's done since.  :lol:

EGLTQ
EGALET CORP -97.87%

2018ish-2019ish: read Flash Boys, was completely fascinated; read lots more on quants, hft, algo trading

2020: tested and developed quant like trading strategy using historical market data

Late 2020-present: testing strategy with live data, real money; have dozens of open orders at basically any given time

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: February 19, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »
I opened my first savings account 18 months ago and am now at the lol let's buy stock to see what happens phase
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: February 19, 2021, 04:10:13 PM »

2013ish: had one share of Krispy Kreme for the hell of it (and then later completely forgot about it and lost track of it)

2016ish-2018ish: experimented with buying stocks here and there just to see what would happen:

I picked up a little of this stock like a year ago in an attempt to buy low. Here's what it's done since.  :lol:

EGLTQ
EGALET CORP -97.87%

2018ish-2019ish: read Flash Boys, was completely fascinated; read lots more on quants, hft, algo trading

2020: tested and developed quant like trading strategy using historical market data

Late 2020-present: testing strategy with live data, real money; have dozens of open orders at basically any given time
Go on.....most quants got owned by the flash crash and rebound, did you do ok?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: February 19, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »

Did I test data from 2010? No, free market data doesn't go back that far.

I'm not sure about the getting owned characterization. I know there are lots of misrepresentations out there.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: February 19, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »

Did I test data from 2010? No, free market data doesn't go back that far.

I'm not sure about the getting owned characterization. I know there are lots of misrepresentations out there.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Ahn9mQBV6BiuVrR91YVeU?si=ReMojrdtTZCUytwxbEpuLw

Basing on this and a lot of the momentum signals getting messed up by the volatility in March.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: February 19, 2021, 05:45:54 PM »
Ah, that crash. I'll give that a listen. I haven't heard too much about how people have fared.

Like, the goal would be to have a strategy that is basically crash proof. Plenty of them have been very successful at this in the past. I'm pretty sure Jim Simons did just fine in 2020.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: February 19, 2021, 11:13:49 PM »
I'm all about that index fund game which is where the vast majority of my $ is but each year I pick a couple of stonks.

The good

I bought some Google stock in 2015ish for like 500 a share, sold a couple but still have 5. It's like 2k a share now and it's all profit from here!

Bought some tweeter stock for like $17 a couple years ago, currently around $70.

My company switched to salesforce a couple of years ago and everything tied into that so I bought like 7 shares...it's doubled since then.

The bad

Bought some under armour stock and it lost like 75% of it's value, got back to 50% down and I sold it a couple of years ago.

Lost my ass on some monsanto stock until bayer bought them and I broke even after like 3 years.

Countless individual oil stocks. The only thing I have left is an oil ETF that is just about back to even after some timely buys at some lows this summer. Unfortunately my base position was from like 2016.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:20:50 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: February 19, 2021, 11:19:04 PM »
I haven't bought an individual stonk in about a year so I'm gunning for a new idea. Tell me, if you had 2k cash sitting in an IRA and were looking for a long term stonk to buy what should I go for?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3520 on: February 19, 2021, 11:22:02 PM »
$SNOW

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: February 19, 2021, 11:34:35 PM »
https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Ahn9mQBV6BiuVrR91YVeU?si=ReMojrdtTZCUytwxbEpuLw

Basing on this and a lot of the momentum signals getting messed up by the volatility in March.

I listened to a good chunk. It's news to me. There are all sorts of quant like strategies, though. I don't think it's accurate to say they all sucked in 2020.

I suppose everyone wants to bill themselves as a quant these days. But that guest struck me as more of a traditional mutual fund manager and perhaps not the best authority on the subject.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: February 20, 2021, 06:50:56 AM »

I listened to a good chunk. It's news to me. There are all sorts of quant like strategies, though. I don't think it's accurate to say they all sucked in 2020.

I suppose everyone wants to bill themselves as a quant these days. But that guest struck me as more of a traditional mutual fund manager and perhaps not the best authority on the subject.
Yeah I think the biggest thing I learned about was how rules based strategies confront a unique situation. I’m sure that affects lots of quants and non quants but quants are obviously all rule based so if they are an ETF they have to update their docs and submit a new prospectus, I guess it probably wouldn’t probably affect like Renaissance the same way.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: February 20, 2021, 08:08:10 AM »
I was listening to something the other day speculating on how all the momentum quants were going to get crushed by all the GME, AMC, etc. stuff because they could have rules to chase it up without accounting for the inevitable immediate crash.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: February 20, 2021, 09:38:46 AM »
I was listening to something the other day speculating on how all the momentum quants were going to get crushed by all the GME, AMC, etc. stuff because they could have rules to chase it up without accounting for the inevitable immediate crash.
Yes and sometimes if it uses a moving average or something as a screener it can get owned by the big moves as it lags the market and buys high and sells low.