Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 333127 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2825 on: December 12, 2020, 03:07:31 PM »
Never buy whole life or an annuity of any kind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well yeah. Ideally, I just want someone who I pay an hourly fee to for the time they actually spend thinking/working about my stuff. Also, fiduciary is important.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2826 on: December 12, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »
Yeah, I wasn’t talking about your situation. Just to the general audience. Once advisors get thrown around you have only one non shitty option which is fee based fiduciary.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: December 12, 2020, 03:15:30 PM »
Never buy whole life or an annuity of any kind

Well yeah. Ideally, I just want someone who I pay an hourly fee to for the time they actually spend thinking/working about my stuff. Also, fiduciary is important.

That might be tough but yeah it's ideal. The pitch we got is that if you don't use them for like six months or a year they need to spend a lot of extra time "relearning" your situation which is probably a mixture of truth and salesmanship but mostly salesmanship.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: December 12, 2020, 03:30:41 PM »
Everyone already has a built in Annuity like product in their portfolio, its called social security.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: December 12, 2020, 05:01:53 PM »
Not everyone has that. In fact, in several states teacher pension system kicks people off of social security. Not Kansas, but still pretty garbage tbh.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: December 12, 2020, 05:44:20 PM »
now that i'm married with a kid, I need to figure out our life insurance situation. I really know nothing about it.
My FIL works for Primerica on the side and wants to get us on some term life.
From my limited knowledge, term is the way to go? Just let him handle it or shop around to another company? I believe i have some coverage through work but obvi not enough. If it matters both me and ms. ww work and soon ms ww will be the breadwinner by a good margin.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: December 12, 2020, 06:16:34 PM »
Yes, term. I have three levels 10, 20, 30 years.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: December 12, 2020, 06:59:15 PM »
Yes, term. I have three levels 10, 20, 30 years.

Thanks. I was a bit confused why you had different tiers. But then I found a good article talking about the benefits of laddering the coverage. I think that option matches up with our situation pretty well and may look into that.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: December 12, 2020, 07:33:56 PM »
several states teacher pension system kicks people off of social security.

yeah, a lot of teachers on the missouri side of my family.  pretty interesting the history of that.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: December 12, 2020, 07:46:52 PM »
the roi on my house is like huge multiples of any stock i've owned.  like all the sober responsible financial advice is to live within your means and whatnot, but i would have made giant money if instead of the nice modest house i purchased i'd have bought the most expensive property i could have afforded never invested in anything else.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: December 12, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »
several states teacher pension system kicks people off of social security.

yeah, a lot of teachers on the missouri side of my family.  pretty interesting the history of that.

Illinois too, which isn't so bad if you think the Illinois system never fails as it is very generous, but for people in most of the other states it is awful.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: December 12, 2020, 08:20:08 PM »
the roi on my house is like huge multiples of any stock i've owned.  like all the sober responsible financial advice is to live within your means and whatnot, but i would have made giant money if instead of the nice modest house i purchased i'd have bought the most expensive property i could have afforded never invested in anything else.
Owning huge exorbitant property irl never fails to make you rich

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: December 12, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
This year more than most

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: December 12, 2020, 08:22:42 PM »
Not everyone has that. In fact, in several states teacher pension system kicks people off of social security. Not Kansas, but still pretty garbage tbh.

You think it's shitty for someone to not be allowed to benefit from Social Security when they didn't contribute to it?  The states don't kick people off Social Security.  The federal government does.

The states set up agreements with the federal government so that people in their pension systems don't have to pay the Social Security portion of FICA taxes.  The money that would have gone to Social Security then goes to fund the pension system.  My wife's mom had this when she taught in Nevada.  The return on what she put in for NVPERS is a lot greater than what she would have got from Social Security.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: December 12, 2020, 08:36:00 PM »

Well that settles it. I'm doubling my house budget.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: December 12, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
This could easily be true for a property that cost a couple hundred thousand. But if you bought a $1-2 million home, I’m pretty confident it’s not gonna consistently appreciate 7-10% a year.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: December 12, 2020, 09:05:09 PM »

Well that settles it. I'm doubling my house budget.

that is a winning move like 99% of the time

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: December 12, 2020, 09:26:41 PM »
You guys are seeing >12% annual increases on the price of your house?!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: December 12, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »
that's right

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: December 12, 2020, 09:41:49 PM »
The percentage appreciation in my home value over the last 6-7 years is about the same as my S&P portfolio over last year alone.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: December 12, 2020, 09:45:03 PM »
dang

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: December 12, 2020, 10:04:16 PM »
A 400k home in 2012 is now a 800k home in 2020?  Holy crap I think JOCO has seen maybe half that at most and I thought it was crazy.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: December 12, 2020, 10:26:42 PM »
I bought my Mhk house 12 years ago. Got a decent deal. I don’t think it’s worth that much more today than it was then.  :frown:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: December 12, 2020, 10:32:21 PM »
A 400k home in 2012 is now a 800k home in 2020?  Holy crap I think JOCO has seen maybe half that at most and I thought it was crazy.
Likely a home on the coast. They typically are more volatile in value swings. That said, I bought a fairly basic 3 bed in  OP in 2008 after the crash for 125, probably worth over 200 now. But I put a lot of work into it.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2849 on: December 12, 2020, 11:00:08 PM »

You think it's shitty for someone to not be allowed to benefit from Social Security when they didn't contribute to it?  The states don't kick people off Social Security.  The federal government does.

The states set up agreements with the federal government so that people in their pension systems don't have to pay the Social Security portion of FICA taxes.  The money that would have gone to Social Security then goes to fund the pension system.  My wife's mom had this when she taught in Nevada.  The return on what she put in for NVPERS is a lot greater than what she would have got from Social Security.
The teachers in a state that did not opt in to social security are at the whim of their state government not fulfilling their obligations and that is a much more likely scenario than Uncle Sam.

Illinois is a state that opted out and it worked out fantastically for my father in law, but I would be at least a little nervous if I were a mid career teacher. But even Illinois isn’t the state that I am thinking of as being a worst case scenario, that would be Kentucky where the state has perpetually underfunded the pension, teachers have much lower average salaries and a much less generous pension than most illinois teachers and on top of that the state seems even more hell bent on not funding it than Illinois.

Also since you brought up Nevada my sister in law worked there for a few years, the Clark County education funding was a nightmare although I honestly don’t know how specific that was to LV vs the rest of the state. I will ask her about what the LV pension looks like for someone that leaves before fully vested, which is another huge issue.

In Kansas I have a decent pension, social security, and have saved money for retirement with a Roth. Teachers don’t get a great salary, but the financial security of knowing that I have 3 different retirement savings is good piece of mind that is worth more than the actual cash benefit and I also love the job.

So again, while it doesn’t impact me I think it is a pretty bad deal for a lot of teachers (though some have no doubt done better).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:06:36 PM by Kat Kid »