Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327175 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2575 on: May 08, 2020, 02:28:25 PM »
also I added the carlson guy to my feedly feed

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: May 08, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »
My allocation is basically Berkshire B, Amazon, 10 other stocks and 3 ETFs

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: May 08, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »
I’ve changed the 10 stocks quite a bit, but I’m pretty well done now.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: May 08, 2020, 03:10:14 PM »
I’ve changed the 10 stocks quite a bit, but I’m pretty well done now.

lmao. I've had this texted to me an average of every 48 hours over the last 2 months.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: May 08, 2020, 04:21:08 PM »
And to those concerned about diversification, look what EM and Int'l Stocks did in 2012 and 2017. Move your money now and you'll just miss the next ride up. And look at the "Equal Weighted" return.
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2020/01/updating-my-favorite-performance-chart-for-2019/

As Sam Hinkie once said, "Trust the Process".

lol. the 10-year column in that "quilt" shows that large cap stocks have out-performed EM by >10% over the last 10 years. Who cares about two individual years?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: May 08, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
i have like 90% of my retirement in a target retirement fund, and i just want someone to tell me that's a wise strategy

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: May 08, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »
i have like 90% of my retirement in a target retirement fund, and i just want someone to tell me that's a wise strategy
That’s a wise strategy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: May 08, 2020, 04:59:34 PM »
59% US funds
4% US bonds
24% International funds
1% International bonds
9% Real estate and commodities
3% Cash

Owning so much International stock has only ever dragged me down below the performance of the S&P 500 the last decade. Especially emerging markets (woof!)

i have no real idea what my % international is, but i think it's probably a good bit more than that.  or at least it probably was 3 months ago.  the market may have rebalanced me down closer to 24% (woof).

Do you have the quarterly auto-rebalancing feature?  I use that thing.

you were probably directing this at trey, but if you did intend to ask me - no, i don't.  i mostly own individual stocks.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: May 08, 2020, 08:10:13 PM »

Target date funds are great for people who just want to throw money in their 401k and not think about it anymore. Good strategy.

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: May 08, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »

More guys who get it:
Twitter - Josh Brown - @ReformedBroker (blog decent too)
Podcast - Invest like the Best with Patrick O’Shaughnessy - http://investorfieldguide.com/podcast/

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: May 08, 2020, 09:09:50 PM »
And to those concerned about diversification, look what EM and Int'l Stocks did in 2012 and 2017. Move your money now and you'll just miss the next ride up. And look at the "Equal Weighted" return.
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2020/01/updating-my-favorite-performance-chart-for-2019/

As Sam Hinkie once said, "Trust the Process".

lol. the 10-year column in that "quilt" shows that large cap stocks have out-performed EM by >10% over the last 10 years. Who cares about two individual years?

I'm not going to change my portfolio (20% Intl Stock) based on recency bias is all I'm saying.

10 year returns ending 2014, EM and REITs (which included 2008 the one of the worst real estate crashes ever) outperformed Large Caps. If you think the greatest bull market in history picks up right where it left off, yes, go all in S&P. I'm assuming you didn't rush to EM and REITs in 2014 though.

To be fair, if 90% S&P and 10% govt bonds is good enough for Buffet's widow, hard to argue with.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: May 09, 2020, 09:27:38 AM »
Also if you are in REIT you've got your ass kicked through this thing and I'm betting that ass kicking is going to continue for a long time because there are a lot of people that will just never go back to the office after this thing clears up. If I had any stand alone REIT I'd take the bounce that has happened to this point and move it. I'm wrong like half the time which is why I still have a stupid job so tifwiw.
This could be true depending on what the REIT has invested in. But why do you say that?

I'm very bullish on real estate investing, but I invest as an owner, not REITs. I haven't been hurt at all yet. Hopefully that continues, obviously no guarantees. But while the stock market burned, my investments kept going steady. Only time will tell if it holds, but I'm not too nervous about it.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2587 on: May 09, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »
I’m specifically talking about commercial real estate, people still need places to live. They probably don’t need places to work. Companies are announcing daily that they are not going back to the office or at least regional offices as they can just WFM and save on capital costs, Nationwide did yesterday or the day before as one example. There will be a lot more that do. My company is evaluating it and I’m confident our regional office space will be nonexistent after having thousands of employees in regional spaces prior to this.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:51:00 AM by steve dave »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: May 09, 2020, 09:39:52 AM »
Spitballing here, but a somewhat sustained 15% unemployment rate could have an impact on residential real estate values.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2589 on: May 09, 2020, 09:41:02 AM »
Our outside sales team will be wfh forever. No real need for them to be in office ever. We'll be doing meetings via Teams. Doubt I'll travel again this year.

Unfortunately, my company owns the property. So can't easily downsize the spaces. It does allow us to expand internal support as we don't need space for outside sales any longer.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: May 09, 2020, 09:51:43 AM »
Imagine if We Work had actually gotten public. Would be a blood bath.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: May 09, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »
Anyone else been using WFH to day trade? Hot Corona stocks and leveraged ETFs!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2592 on: May 09, 2020, 10:11:38 AM »
Anyone else been using WFH to day trade? Hot Corona stocks and leveraged ETFs!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Of course. But I’ve WFH for years.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: May 09, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »
I’m specifically talking about commercial real estate, people still need places to live. They probably don’t need places to work. Companies are announcing daily that they are not going back to the office or at least regional offices as they can just WFM and save on capital costs, Nationwide did yesterday or the day before as one example. There will be a lot more that do. My company is evaluating it and I’m confident our regional office space will be nonexistent after having thousands of employees in regional spaces prior to this.

Agreed about office space, very glad I don't hold that type of property. One thing about that though. Good chance it will get much cheaper to buy and someone will think of a creative way to repurpose it and make a boat load.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: May 09, 2020, 10:13:50 AM »
Spitballing here, but a somewhat sustained 15% unemployment rate could have an impact on residential real estate values.
Sure, but if you're only investing in real estate for the value of the property, YDIW. If you're cash flowing positively with enough reserves and margin, you don't GAF about the actual value. At least not too much care.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: May 09, 2020, 10:16:44 AM »
Home value directly relates to rental value though, right? I’m no expert but you’d think there’d be a direct correlation.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: May 09, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
Home value directly relates to rental value though, right? I’m no expert but you’d think there’d be a direct correlation.

It can but not too much. I wasn't a property owner during the '08 crash. That was one of the biggest American real estate crashes of all time. The investors I've spoken to that had property then said that most rent held steady or even went up. Why? People were losing their homes so credit was garbage and couldn't buy another. They became tenants.

Not saying it can't cause a little dip, but at least historically, property losing value don't drive rent down. Real estate values going up will likely cause rent to go up though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: May 09, 2020, 10:35:27 AM »
Sounds kinda culty when you talk about residential property management, KITN. You may be right about what will happen, but there's just something about your tone.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: May 09, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »
Sounds kinda culty when you talk about residential property management, KITN. You may be right about what will happen, but there's just something about your tone.
Not sure what that means haha. Does the haha help or hurt my tone?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: May 09, 2020, 10:45:44 AM »

I just got the feedly app as a result of this post!