General Discussion > Essentially Flyertalk

New To Investing Thread

<< < (2/900) > >>

The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep:
I need to invest money in stocks. What's my best route here... Scottrade? I kinda just want someone to take my money and then just tell me when I'm a millionaire. I know nothing about stocks and don't really have the time to pay a whole lot of attention to them.

steve dave:

--- Quote from: Nuts Kicked on April 16, 2013, 10:45:40 AM ---I contribute enough to my 401k to max out the employer match, and then I use the rest of my spare money purchasing stocks.

--- End quote ---

you are pissing away some good tax breaks broseph

steve dave:

--- Quote from: emawblast on April 16, 2013, 10:48:38 AM ---of all the "wealth" i have to my name currently, a little less than 20% of it is actual cash that i could spend right now.

is this bad?

--- End quote ---

depends how much "wealth" you have. normally that would be way too much in cash.

'taterblast:

--- Quote from: steve dave on April 16, 2013, 10:50:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: emawblast on April 16, 2013, 10:48:38 AM ---of all the "wealth" i have to my name currently, a little less than 20% of it is actual cash that i could spend right now.

is this bad?

--- End quote ---

depends how much "wealth" you have. normally that would be way too much in cash.

--- End quote ---

yeah it's not that much so i'm probably ok.

Emo EMAW:

--- Quote from: steve dave on April 16, 2013, 10:49:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: Nuts Kicked on April 16, 2013, 10:45:40 AM ---I contribute enough to my 401k to max out the employer match, and then I use the rest of my spare money purchasing stocks.

--- End quote ---

you are pissing away some good tax breaks broseph

--- End quote ---

Depends.  Probably a safe assumption tax rates when we retire will be higher.  Better to pay the income tax up front and not pay it later.  At least that's my way of looking at it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version