Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 332717 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2925 on: December 13, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »
I think meaningful impact would take federal intervention.

i don't see why that would be the case.

You think state and local governments can make a meaningful impact? Interesting given what's happened with recent bills introduced in the state legislature aimed at interesting housing supply in pretty minor ways

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: December 13, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »
victims blame the more fortunate, and that mentality is far more repressive than any policy or class of people.

That's a pretty sad philosophy
I probably worded that poorly. Should have said people that blame the more fortunate for their problems have a victim mentality. Those people are mumped until they fix it. I'll stand by that.

Yeah that's still pretty disturbing. Were victims of Jim Crow laws wrong to blame the people who enacted and maintained those laws?

How about place the blame, if any, where it belongs, if anywhere, regardless of the fortune of the person deserving the blame, if anyone.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: December 13, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »
You think state and local governments can make a meaningful impact?

the impediments are 100% state and local, so yes.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: December 13, 2020, 02:06:56 PM »
You think state and local governments can make a meaningful impact?

the impediments are 100% state and local, so yes.
I should have said "will" instead of "can". Increasing housing supply is just too unpopular.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: December 13, 2020, 02:11:14 PM »
victims blame the more fortunate, and that mentality is far more repressive than any policy or class of people.

That's a pretty sad philosophy
I probably worded that poorly. Should have said people that blame the more fortunate for their problems have a victim mentality. Those people are mumped until they fix it. I'll stand by that.

Yeah that's still pretty disturbing. Were victims of Jim Crow laws wrong to blame the people who enacted and maintained those laws?
No, those people are actual victims. There are victims in this world obviously. A person with a victim mentality is not the same thing.

A person with both ability and the right mindset will likely do well for themselves in this country. A person that thinks the world is constantly treating them unfairly will likely never accomplish anything of note.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: December 13, 2020, 02:25:52 PM »

A person with both ability and the right mindset will likely do well for themselves in this country. A person that thinks the world is constantly treating them unfairly will likely never accomplish anything of note.

That doesn't mean we should have a housing policy that only provides free money the upper and middle classes

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: December 13, 2020, 02:52:31 PM »

That doesn't mean we should have a housing policy that only provides free money the upper and middle classes
I'm not sure what the housing policy is that you're referring.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: December 13, 2020, 02:59:26 PM »

Take your pick! Pretty much any government policy incentivising home ownership effectively excludes the working poor from its benefits. Things like mortgage interest deduction aren't even attainable to the bulk of the middle class.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: December 13, 2020, 03:08:55 PM »

Take your pick! Pretty much any government policy incentivising home ownership effectively excludes the working poor from its benefits. Things like mortgage interest deduction aren't even attainable to the bulk of the middle class.
Well I'm not sure if you're trying to say we should stop incentives to home ownership, but if so we'll just have to disagree on that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: December 13, 2020, 03:29:59 PM »

Well I'm not sure if you're trying to say we should stop incentives to home ownership, but if so we'll just have to disagree on that.

Yeah of course you don't want to stop getting free money from the government. Doesn't mean it's what's best for the country as a whole. But it might be depending on how you measure success!

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: December 13, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »

Yeah of course you don't want to stop getting free money from the government. Doesn't mean it's what's best for the country as a whole. But it might be depending on how you measure success!
I'm not sure if you've been paying attention, but my income is based on people deciding not to own homes, but I'm all for giving them incentive to move out of my property to buy their own house. So I'm not being selfish here.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: December 13, 2020, 04:45:33 PM »
I'm not sure if you've been paying attention, but my income is based on people deciding not to own homes, but I'm all for giving them incentive to move out of my property to buy their own house. So I'm not being selfish here.

Would you give up any of the government handouts you currently receive that might make it easier for your tenants to buy their own place? What about increasing density in neighborhoods you currently own?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2937 on: December 13, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
Why must he give up his incentives for others to have?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: December 13, 2020, 05:17:59 PM »

Would you give up any of the government handouts you currently receive that might make it easier for your tenants to buy their own place? What about increasing density in neighborhoods you currently own?
If a "handout" is a tax break, then taking them away would not help. Either people stop providing housing and that means higher prices due to lower supply....or every landlord raises rent significantly and the housing crisis spirals downward. For what it's worth, tax incentives aren't some oversight/loophole in the tax code. They are there to get people to do what the government doesn't want to do, or is incapable of doing.

Increasing density doesn't matter too much to me.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: December 13, 2020, 05:43:18 PM »
Correct, tax breaks are handouts from the government

And yeah taking them away won't fix the housing crisis in the parts of the country where there is one

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: December 13, 2020, 05:56:43 PM »
The government not taking someone’s earned money is a handout?
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: December 13, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »
The government not taking someone’s earned money is a handout?

Yep

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: December 13, 2020, 06:02:15 PM »
That is an interesting way to see the world

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: December 13, 2020, 06:04:21 PM »

Yeah branding handouts as "tax incentives" is a great way to make handout recipients feel better about themselves. 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: December 13, 2020, 06:55:57 PM »

Yeah branding handouts as "tax incentives" is a great way to make handout recipients feel better about themselves.
Do you take any deductions on your taxes, or do you pay more than what the government is asking from you?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: December 13, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
One of the things that sucks about this board is that the majority of the posts happen in the Pit. This is not the Pit. There are so few non-Pit threads that remain active. Let's not throw this one on the ash heap. Looking at you, cRusty.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: December 13, 2020, 06:59:48 PM »
You should tel everyone you are quitting the board again, it might work this time.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: December 13, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
I think a lot of people in this thread should learn about the labor theory of value. I’m not saying you have to agree with it, but to understand it would be helpful.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: December 13, 2020, 07:00:21 PM »
One of the things that sucks about this board is that the majority of the posts happen in the Pit. This is not the Pit. There are so few non-Pit threads that remain active. Let's not throw this one on the ash heap. Looking at you, cRusty.
I'll do my part and stick to investing stuff, spracs

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: December 13, 2020, 07:05:35 PM »
Not sure what this squawk is expecting from a politics blog :dunno: