Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 332104 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2600 on: May 09, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »
Sounds kinda culty when you talk about residential property management, KITN. You may be right about what will happen, but there's just something about your tone.
Not sure what that means haha. Does the haha help or hurt my tone?
You are very passionate and devoted!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: May 09, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »
i have like 90% of my retirement in a target retirement fund, and i just want someone to tell me that's a wise strategy
That’s a wise strategy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, agreed.  The biggest mistake is not saving in the first place. The second biggest is trying to beat the market.  meow meow is going to get a (mostly) normal return on his investment (if we assume your service provider doesn't have crap fund managers, which does happen).  Our retirement funds are not there to get us rich.  Trying to beat the market in your retirement fund is rough ridin' crazy.  I want to match the market at the lowest cost possible.

I mean, eff.  It seems like madness to NOT dollar cost average (regular period investing) in index funds.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: May 09, 2020, 01:08:58 PM »
And to those concerned about diversification, look what EM and Int'l Stocks did in 2012 and 2017. Move your money now and you'll just miss the next ride up. And look at the "Equal Weighted" return.
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2020/01/updating-my-favorite-performance-chart-for-2019/

As Sam Hinkie once said, "Trust the Process".

lol. the 10-year column in that "quilt" shows that large cap stocks have out-performed EM by >10% over the last 10 years. Who cares about two individual years?

I'm not going to change my portfolio (20% Intl Stock) based on recency bias is all I'm saying.

10 year returns ending 2014, EM and REITs (which included 2008 the one of the worst real estate crashes ever) outperformed Large Caps. If you think the greatest bull market in history picks up right where it left off, yes, go all in S&P. I'm assuming you didn't rush to EM and REITs in 2014 though.

To be fair, if 90% S&P and 10% govt bonds is good enough for Buffet's widow, hard to argue with.

I'm not divesting from my international stuff right now, either. I was just wondering aloud if this "you need to diversify" advice is advice that's been passed down through recent generations and was the best advice for those eras but isn't necessarily the best advice for our current era. Like, if this was the 1700's, knowing what we know now, I'm rocking with the East India Company (atrocities aside). What if domestic, large cap stocks are the "East India Company" of our current era and will be for the next 50-100 years?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: May 09, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »
I'm betting that's going to be the case trey

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: May 09, 2020, 01:15:20 PM »
I mean, the S&P is only down 9% for the year and the Nasdaq is positive through this mess. The big are going to get bigger at cut rate prices. Millions of small and medium business will suffer or fail but you better believe Amazon, Microsoft, etc. are going to thrive. And the US is going to come out of this in significantly better shape than any other country.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: May 09, 2020, 02:39:58 PM »
I mean, the S&P is only down 9% for the year and the Nasdaq is positive through this mess. The big are going to get bigger at cut rate prices. Millions of small and medium business will suffer or fail but you better believe Amazon, Microsoft, etc. are going to thrive. And the US is going to come out of this in significantly better shape than any other country.

That's my bet too.  :pray:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: May 09, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »
And to those concerned about diversification, look what EM and Int'l Stocks did in 2012 and 2017. Move your money now and you'll just miss the next ride up. And look at the "Equal Weighted" return.
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2020/01/updating-my-favorite-performance-chart-for-2019/

As Sam Hinkie once said, "Trust the Process".

lol. the 10-year column in that "quilt" shows that large cap stocks have out-performed EM by >10% over the last 10 years. Who cares about two individual years?

I'm not going to change my portfolio (20% Intl Stock) based on recency bias is all I'm saying.

10 year returns ending 2014, EM and REITs (which included 2008 the one of the worst real estate crashes ever) outperformed Large Caps. If you think the greatest bull market in history picks up right where it left off, yes, go all in S&P. I'm assuming you didn't rush to EM and REITs in 2014 though.

To be fair, if 90% S&P and 10% govt bonds is good enough for Buffet's widow, hard to argue with.

I'm not divesting from my international stuff right now, either. I was just wondering aloud if this "you need to diversify" advice is advice that's been passed down through recent generations and was the best advice for those eras but isn't necessarily the best advice for our current era. Like, if this was the 1700's, knowing what we know now, I'm rocking with the East India Company (atrocities aside). What if domestic, large cap stocks are the "East India Company" of our current era and will be for the next 50-100 years?

I really like this analogy. 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2607 on: May 13, 2020, 08:13:01 AM »
Also if you are in REIT you've got your ass kicked through this thing and I'm betting that ass kicking is going to continue for a long time because there are a lot of people that will just never go back to the office after this thing clears up. If I had any stand alone REIT I'd take the bounce that has happened to this point and move it. I'm wrong like half the time which is why I still have a stupid job so tifwiw.
You're not likely to be wrong here.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/05/12/manhattan-faces-a-reckoning-if-working-from-home-becomes-the-norm/

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: June 08, 2020, 01:48:59 PM »
Those people should definitely take profits.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: June 08, 2020, 01:49:29 PM »
Also, when is my bitcoin going to take off?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: June 16, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »
Guess I should get my oil tanker full of crude ready to sell soon huh  :dunno:

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: June 22, 2020, 08:46:49 PM »
I bought a bunch of gold shares recently and it felt kind of dirty but feeling a lot better about it now.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: June 23, 2020, 08:39:14 AM »
I bought a bunch of gold shares recently and it felt kind of dirty but feeling a lot better about it now.

You should buy gold coins/bars and bury them in your backyard.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: June 23, 2020, 08:49:13 AM »

You should buy gold coins/bars and bury them in your backyard.
Seems like a lot of work

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: June 23, 2020, 11:19:48 PM »
I sold my Spotify at $235, like an idiot.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: June 24, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »
One key piece of advice I would offer is you should definitely do something without thinking more than 30 seconds about it then think about nothing else besides whether you did a good or bad thing for the next 72 hours.

I’m not saying you stop doing other things during this time, just that you will be adding and subtracting things on a rolling basis over that 72 hr window.

You don’t have to actually do too much real analysis or research, you mostly just watch CNBC and see what they are saying and scroll your portfolio with your brow furrowed, nodding and shaking your head.

Also, sometimes you will see something on the stocks app on your phone on your “watchlist” or see one of the “leaders & laggards” on the crawl and see a stock ticker you once almost bought or you just sold, or even better “I own that crap!”

This is the life you have chosen for yourself.  The life of a trader—puts, Calls, mostly just market order buys and sells. Some limit sells and buys.

If your portfolio, goes down, you can always just add more money in to the account and then look at the higher AUM. You are a stud. That is called an “inflow” you will tell your grandchildren about this. Hell yeah!

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: June 24, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »
One key piece of advice I would offer is you should definitely do something without thinking more than 30 seconds about it then think about nothing else besides whether you did a good or bad thing for the next 72 hours.

I’m not saying you stop doing other things during this time, just that you will be adding and subtracting things on a rolling basis over that 72 hr window.

You don’t have to actually do too much real analysis or research, you mostly just watch CNBC and see what they are saying and scroll your portfolio with your brow furrowed, nodding and shaking your head.

Also, sometimes you will see something on the stocks app on your phone on your “watchlist” or see one of the “leaders & laggards” on the crawl and see a stock ticker you once almost bought or you just sold, or even better “I own that crap!”

This is the life you have chosen for yourself.  The life of a trader—puts, Calls, mostly just market order buys and sells. Some limit sells and buys.

If your portfolio, goes down, you can always just add more money in to the account and then look at the higher AUM. You are a stud. That is called an “inflow” you will tell your grandchildren about this. Hell yeah!

This is all excellent advice, TY.

:kstategrad:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: June 24, 2020, 05:54:58 PM »

:thumbs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: June 24, 2020, 06:00:45 PM »
i can't wait until katkid gets rich enought that his ideology conflicts with his portfolio.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: June 24, 2020, 06:03:19 PM »
i can't wait until katkid gets rich enought that his ideology conflicts with his portfolio.

I gotta imagine it already does! I mean as someone who has just about all my retirement savings invested in the S&P500, I definitely have some ideological conflicts with my investments. Hell I have ideological conflicts with my job.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: June 24, 2020, 06:14:22 PM »
i think katkid's conflicts would be much more amusing.  with no offense intended to either of you.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: June 24, 2020, 06:21:38 PM »
i think katkid's conflicts would be much more amusing.  with no offense intended to either of you.
None taken

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: June 24, 2020, 06:50:14 PM »

I have diversified my moral portfolio.