Author Topic: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger  (Read 18233 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
Don't start playing a dumb instrument (trumpet, clarinet, trombone, etc) as a kid. Instead start playing a cool instrument (guitar, piano, etc) and get really good because I bet it would be awesome to be awesome at a cool instrument as an adult.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
financial freedom is nothing to laugh at.

it's great advice for people that are too stupid to figure out anything themselves and have no impulse control whatsoever.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »
have opinions, but don't be deadset on sticking to your guns about them.  let your point of view change with new experiences.  even about really important stuff.

when you think you're wrong about something, notice it, and be excited about it, because you're better now than you were.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »
i'm going to retire before 50.  hopefully substantially before.  i don't understand people that don't want to retire.  the idea of not having anything you're more interested in than whatever someone is paying you to do is pretty sad to me.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »
Is financial freedom no debt at all?  Like no mortgages, car payments, insurance or anything?

Because wtf?  How does investing for retirement in your 20's clear up your Well's Fargo note on your houses?

Offline Teddy_Westside

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
Don't start playing a dumb instrument (trumpet, clarinet, trombone, etc) as a kid. Instead start playing a cool instrument (guitar, piano, etc) and get really good because I bet it would be awesome to be awesome at a cool instrument as an adult.

Welp, failed that one miserably.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
Is financial freedom no debt at all?  Like no mortgages, car payments, insurance or anything?

Because wtf?  How does investing for retirement in your 20's clear up your Well's Fargo note on your houses?
Buy a 12k house with cash. Who cares if you live in a shithole, eating canned soup, during your boring young years. You can retire when you are 50 on this plan and you can go do whatever you want after that.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »
i'm going to retire before 50.  hopefully substantially before.  i don't understand people that don't want to retire.  the idea of not having anything you're more interested in than whatever someone is paying you to do is pretty sad to me.

If you aren't an owner, this is true.  I remember when I wasn't a boss.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »
Re: the debate between doing what you and love and income...
pro-tip: sometimes you don't have to choose. :dance:

no crap Sherlock
well every post on this subject in this thread was written as if you can choose to do something you love or you can choose to do something that pays well. just thought it was important to note that it's not either/or.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2013, 09:07:23 PM »

As a child (5th grade,) I started out on a dumb instrument (saxophone) played that for 5 years, then towards the end of that time started playing guitar. Been playing that on and off since, while I've only touched the saxophone a handful of times.

That said, I don't think I'd have as much an appreciation for the guitar and music in general if I didn't start young and on a "dumb" instrument.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
I wish I could go back and tell 14 year old KSC to learn a second language. That or take a personal finance class.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »
I guess I understand what some of you are saying re: find a job that you can "tolerate" and you don't need to find one that you love.  but if you have to work 8 hours a day, that's a shitload of your life that you spend just "tolerating" something.  that doesn't seem like a very good way to go through life.  :dunno:  I just can't imagine having to get up most days and spending virtually the entire day doing something that I don't love.

let's say you loved bball, had practiced bballing your whole life and were pretty good at it.  then let's say you finally decided to get a job in bball and it was really hard because tons of dumbasses also love bball and there isn't that much need for bball players.  but you finally find a bball job that pays pretty well.

you won!  you did it!  congratulations, here's your ball.  go stand in the corner over there and dribble it for 8-12 hours every day.
what in the love of eff are you talking about? how in the eff would you make good money dribbling a ball for 8-12 hours every day and who would want to do that? I didn't say find something you love to do and do it 12 hours a day for a living. don't be a dumbass. I said you should do something you love doing every day. it's a pretty important distinction.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »

no crap Sherlock
well every post on this subject in this thread was written as if you can choose to do something you love or you can choose to do something that pays well. just thought it was important to note that it's not either/or.

mine weren't

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »

no crap Sherlock

mine weren't
I was pointing this out to all the other people that chimed in wanting to make it a choice.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »
Don't get a cat as a kitten because you have no idea what their temperament will be like when they grow up.  They could be really mean and terrible to be around.  If you must get a cat go to a shelter and spend some time with a few cats and ask about their temperament so that you know what you're getting into.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

Learn as many instruments as you can. "Dumb" or "Cool" or other.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »
-start getting into the points/miles game now. it will give you baller credit and let you travel the world in first class for free for the rest of your life.

-if you are smarter than everyone make sure they know it but make sure they don't know you are making sure they know it.

-save money for retirement but spend a lot now on things you love. you can do amazing things in the prime of your life or you can sit on some money when you are old and can no longer do those things no matter how much money you saved.

-leaving a shitload of money for your kids isn't doing them any favors and they won't remember you more fondly for it.

-student loans are one of the greatest government benefits there are. use them. working 40 hours a week while going to school is never a better idea than working 10 and having a small amount of 1.6% long term debt at graduation.

-don't feel like you have to have kids just because the dickwad next door has 7. he's lying to you. he doesn't want to spend 100% of his free time at baseball games.

-but, if you want kids have them. they seem pretty great in certain situations.

-if you're feeling down just hop on an airplane and get out for a day or two.

-carry on whenever possible. usually if you think it's not possible it actually is.

-don't buy garbage, you get more than what you pay for in almost all instances. find the very best of what you are looking to buy and then find the best price for it.

-owning X really high quality Ys is better than owning >X medium quality Ys. (the number and the item aren't important and can be changed to anything).

-relationships are pretty easy, I can't provide much advice there. nature v. nurture or whatever.

-don't stay somewhere cheap because it's just a bed.

-gamble, but don't be a dumbass. it's not an investment.

-try all the less scary drugs at least once. don't do it, like, a ton though.

Have done all but the points thing.  Regret that, but fortunately work has provided same insane travel that hoarding points does.

Also, don't have a "bucket list" to accomplish when old. Do all of it when young.  I've hit any bucket list of sports in North America except the Masters ( don't love golf)... World Series, Super Bowl, derby, all national titles, baseball playoffs, America's cup, triple crown (silver charm!), Tyson Holyfield
Been to oscars and Grammys
SD wins again.
Edit: so does lsoc, meant to just quote sd though
:adios:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »
learn to cook.  not just grilling and easy crap.  like really learn to cook.  you can have a great meal any time you want and knowing how to cook like a boss is really sexy.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:17 PM »

no crap Sherlock

Something wrong Mich?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »
Don't get a cat as a kitten because you have no idea what their temperament will be like when they grow up.  They could be really mean and terrible to be around.  If you must get a cat go to a shelter and spend some time with a few cats and ask about their temperament so that you know what you're getting into.

maybe good advice.  sounds good at least.  on the other hand, cats are disposable, so if you get a bad one just try again.

oth, get a puppy, not a dog.  and get a good one.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »
Wait, I always check bags if over 2 days but I have a car service and bag fees paid by work.

I usually have to have 3-4 pairs of shoes so carry on is not option.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »
Wait, I always check bags if over 2 days but I have a car service and bag fees paid by work.

I usually have to have 3-4 pairs of shoes so carry on is not option.

sd gets a little crazy with the carry on stuff.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »
never focus on what you do have, only on what you don't

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
Never buy a telescope.  The ones that are affordable just basically make stuff that you can already see look a little bigger.  Also they are a hassle to set up and have tons of little pieces that are easy to lose.  Also you won't actually take the time to learn how to do it right because you just want to point it at the sky and see neat stuff and it doesn't work like that.  Just look at space pictures online.