Author Topic: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger  (Read 18234 times)

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »
Marry the right person.
Seeing how there's a 50% historic chance of ppl being wrong on this, there's no way to judge how to do this.

Marry someone smarter than you then.  I did and look at me now bitches.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »
start your own business.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »
start your own business.

Yep. 

Do this. 

But first, get good at something.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »
If you're going into business. Take some golf lessons. It will pay off. Every client/boss wants to play golf on Friday.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »
The "do what you love" thing is hard.  I mean, there is a bunch of stuff that I love doing that I would absolutely hate doing if I had to do it for other ppl or if I had to do alongside some douchebag as a coworker that was put on my team with zero input from me.  I mean, other ppl(customers, coworkers, vendors, etc) can really eff good things up.

Kenny Powers once said "They say money can't buy happiness, but I've never seen a sad mother rough rider on a jet ski"

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »
I for one am happy I spent $ I didn't have at the time on spring break trips to padre and panama when I was in college. Those trips are paid for now and I'm pretty sure those trips would suck balls at 50.

This x100. Take as many trips as you can when you are young. Maximize your fun in college.

plus student loans are great ways to finance spring break trips.

True story, ben ji's dad is a year younger than his mom and used his student loan money to buy ben ji's mom a ring when she graduated. They got married and she ended up helping pay back his student loans.

Pretty boss move if you ask me.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2013, 04:32:55 PM »
The "do what you love" thing is hard.  I mean, there is a bunch of stuff that I love doing that I would absolutely hate doing if I had to do it for other ppl or if I had to do alongside some douchebag as a coworker that was put on my team with zero input from me.  I mean, other ppl(customers, coworkers, vendors, etc) can really eff good things up.

Kenny Powers once said "They say money can't buy happiness, but I've never seen a sad mother rough rider on a jet ski"

:lol:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2013, 04:34:55 PM »
I for one am happy I spent $ I didn't have at the time on spring break trips to padre and panama when I was in college. Those trips are paid for now and I'm pretty sure those trips would suck balls at 50.

This x100. Take as many trips as you can when you are young. Maximize your fun in college.

plus student loans are great ways to finance spring break trips.

True story, ben ji's dad is a year younger than his mom and used his student loan money to buy ben ji's mom a ring when she graduated. They got married and she ended up helping pay back his student loans.

Pretty boss move if you ask me.
That's a pretty great story, ben ji.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »
Dave Ramsey didn't retire at 50, fwiw.

dave ramsey has made millions on rubes. he will continue to as long as there are rubes.

RIP Jeffy

Yes, he sells them on a dream of retiring at 50, which is obviously a dream he doesn't even share. He's made millions, and he could retire today if he wanted to. He doesn't want to, though. I honestly don't know any successful 50 year old who is just dying to retire. They are all making lots of money and enjoy going to work.

It's a generalization. I don't expect to "retire" for a really long time, maybe ever. It would be nice, however, to get to a point where I can live comfortably (at my standard of living) without a high income job, and I could devote more time to doing other things I enjoy, more charity work, etc. That's what saving a crap-ton and getting rid of debt buys you: freedom to do what you want while maintaining the standard of living you want, and not having to wait until you're 70 to get there.

And you don't have to be a monk to do it. It's all about balance. I have plenty of fun and do plenty of traveling - I'm just not constantly pissing away money on little daily purchases like fast food, booze, the newest clothes, etc.

So you can rationalize all you want about all those great credit card benefits - you're still pissing away money. And you can rationalize all you want about getting a way better return on your investments than you are paying in student loan interest - you're still in debt, and that debt doesn't go away if things come crashing down. Call the Dave Ramsey people rubes if you want - and I'll agree that his advice is very rudimentary - but financial freedom is nothing to laugh at.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Fast food and booze are pretty cheap if you do it right.  :dunno:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
How is fast food pissing your money away? I mean, you could eat a nice meal off the dollar menu at most fast food places for $3. It's incredibly unhealthy, but I wouldn't really consider it to be an outlandish expense.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
Be friends with people different than yourself. If you're a Christian hang out with some atheists. If you're a democrat become friends with some republicans. Etc.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »
How is fast food pissing your money away? I mean, you could eat a nice meal off the dollar menu at most fast food places for $3. It's incredibly unhealthy, but I wouldn't really consider it to be an outlandish expense.

Most times I go and get fast food, I end up spending about $8-10. 

Regardless, clothes is something I don't get his complaining on.  I have bought nice shoes/suits/work shirts and while more expensive up front, they last way longer than cheap crap.  I agree with SD that for most things, shopping around and buying quality is way better than cheap stuff.  I used to buy mediocre looking clothes because they were cheap and they just end up sitting in the closet while I wear the nice stuff.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2013, 05:00:41 PM »
So you can rationalize all you want about all those great credit card benefits - you're still pissing away money.

The only people pissing away money because of credit cards are people that shouldn't be trusted with their own finances to begin with.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »

Most times I go and get fast food, I end up spending about $8-10

Regardless, clothes is something I don't get his complaining on.  I have bought nice shoes/suits/work shirts and while more expensive up front, they last way longer than cheap crap.  I agree with SD that for most things, shopping around and buying quality is way better than cheap stuff.  I used to buy mediocre looking clothes because they were cheap and they just end up sitting in the closet while I wear the nice stuff.
Good god man, what do you order?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »
So you can rationalize all you want about all those great credit card benefits - you're still pissing away money.

The only people pissing away money because of credit cards are people that shouldn't be trusted with their own finances to begin with.
...or sharp objects
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »
Move away from where you grew up.  Like go to college in another region, or take your first job in another region.  I took my first job on the gulf coast.  Looking back i wish i had gone to school somewhere else as well.  As many have pointed out, students loans have many extra benefits besides books and tuition.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline StevieWonderSniperSchool

• Fan
  • just win baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »
One of my favorite quotes.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »
Re: the debate between doing what you and love and income, studies show the the sweet spot between people being happy with their lives in and income is roughly between $50,000 - $75,000 a year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2012/04/24/the-salary-that-will-make-you-happy-hint-its-less-than-75000/

SD is right as well. Traveling and experiences (concerts, sporting events, etc.) are the best way to spend your money, because they are the most memorable and tend to be the things we enjoy the most.

<---- still very young

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
Re: the debate between doing what you and love and income, studies show the the sweet spot between people being happy with their lives in and income is roughly between $50,000 - $75,000 a year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2012/04/24/the-salary-that-will-make-you-happy-hint-its-less-than-75000/

SD is right as well. Traveling and experiences (concerts, sporting events, etc.) are the best way to spend your money, because they are the most memorable and tend to be the things we enjoy the most.

<---- still very young

I think that depends on where you live. I also think people lied about how happy they were.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »
Also, don't have a bucket list. They'll only leave you disappointed if you don't complete everything and unfulfilled once you do. Find the beauty and magic around you every day and take it all in.

Alan Watts says this a little bit better than I could (he is talking about careers but I think it applies to "bucket lists" as well):

So did John Michael Montgomery:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2013, 08:26:45 PM »
Re: the debate between doing what you and love and income...
pro-tip: sometimes you don't have to choose. :dance:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »
Re: the debate between doing what you and love and income...
pro-tip: sometimes you don't have to choose. :dance:

no crap Sherlock

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2013, 08:35:05 PM »
-start getting into the points/miles game now. it will give you baller credit and let you travel the world in first class for free for the rest of your life.

-if you are smarter than everyone make sure they know it but make sure they don't know you are making sure they know it.

-save money for retirement but spend a lot now on things you love. you can do amazing things in the prime of your life or you can sit on some money when you are old and can no longer do those things no matter how much money you saved.

-leaving a shitload of money for your kids isn't doing them any favors and they won't remember you more fondly for it.

-student loans are one of the greatest government benefits there are. use them. working 40 hours a week while going to school is never a better idea than working 10 and having a small amount of 1.6% long term debt at graduation.

-don't feel like you have to have kids just because the dickwad next door has 7. he's lying to you. he doesn't want to spend 100% of his free time at baseball games.

-but, if you want kids have them. they seem pretty great in certain situations.

-if you're feeling down just hop on an airplane and get out for a day or two.

-carry on whenever possible. usually if you think it's not possible it actually is.

-don't buy garbage, you get more than what you pay for in almost all instances. find the very best of what you are looking to buy and then find the best price for it.

-owning X really high quality Ys is better than owning >X medium quality Ys. (the number and the item aren't important and can be changed to anything).

-relationships are pretty easy, I can't provide much advice there. nature v. nurture or whatever.

-don't stay somewhere cheap because it's just a bed.

-gamble, but don't be a dumbass. it's not an investment.

-try all the less scary drugs at least once. don't do it, like, a ton though.

Have done all but the points thing.  Regret that, but fortunately work has provided same insane travel that hoarding points does.

Also, don't have a "bucket list" to accomplish when old. Do all of it when young.  I've hit any bucket list of sports in North America except the Masters ( don't love golf)... World Series, Super Bowl, derby, all national titles, baseball playoffs, America's cup, triple crown (silver charm!), Tyson Holyfield
Been to oscars and Grammys

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2013, 08:45:40 PM »
I guess I understand what some of you are saying re: find a job that you can "tolerate" and you don't need to find one that you love.  but if you have to work 8 hours a day, that's a shitload of your life that you spend just "tolerating" something.  that doesn't seem like a very good way to go through life.  :dunno:  I just can't imagine having to get up most days and spending virtually the entire day doing something that I don't love.

let's say you loved bball, had practiced bballing your whole life and were pretty good at it.  then let's say you finally decided to get a job in bball and it was really hard because tons of dumbasses also love bball and there isn't that much need for bball players.  but you finally find a bball job that pays pretty well.

you won!  you did it!  congratulations, here's your ball.  go stand in the corner over there and dribble it for 8-12 hours every day.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."