Author Topic: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger  (Read 18223 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »
Well obviously if you don't love being poor you should do something else. Dumbasses.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
Well obviously if you don't love being poor you should do something else. Dumbasses.
Kinda the point I was trying to make to you the other day.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »

but don't completely rule out doing something you love because some guy who couldn't make six figures hunting snakes or calling juco football games tells you it's not practical. Get an MBA (a real one) or something when snake wranglin doesn't work out.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »

but don't completely rule out doing something you love because some guy who couldn't make six figures hunting snakes or calling juco football games tells you it's not practical. Get an MBA (a real one) or something when snake wranglin doesn't work out.
Oh JFC.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
if we are just talking about jobs then i would also say to get a skill of some sort. like an actual skill that is obtained and some piece of paper or something that says you are allowed to do it while most other people can't.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »

Oh JFC.

hey, you gave it a shot and couldn't cut it. At least now you know. But that doesn't mean the next guy couldn't make it.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have tried to steer you to media.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:22 AM »
if we are just talking about jobs then i would also say to get a skill of some sort. like an actual skill that is obtained and some piece of paper or something that says you are allowed to do it while most other people can't.

spell my name after 15 beers
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »

I would go the complete opposite and be as general as possible. What happens when that skill or piece of paper becomes obsolete?

(my "do what you love" advice wasn't necessarily career focused, btw.)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »

Oh JFC.

hey, you gave it a shot and couldn't cut it. At least now you know. But that doesn't mean the next guy couldn't make it.

You can just be so smug and short minded sometimes. I would never advise for any one to do something they didn't love. Everyone has a different situation growing up and certain ppl have limitations in certain areas.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »
Spend five days in a hurricane sometime.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Teddy_Westside

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2013, 11:07:28 AM »
Don't listen to your dumbass roommates.

:shakesfist:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »
The problem with credit cards, and the reason all young people should be advised to avoid them, is because it makes it a lot easier to spend money, and the easier it is spend money, the more you will spend.

Doesn't matter if you get 5% cash back or travel points - odds are, any money you "make" using a credit card will be more than offset by all the extra cash you spent because you use the credit card, as opposed to the more painful process of forking over cash.

The only exceptions to this rule are if you have expenses that are more or less fixed and unavoidable. For example, if you've got a job that requires a lot of travel, it's a great idea to charge that travel on a credit card with incentives. You don't have a choice to incur that expense, and you get reimbursed and get to rack up points.

But other than these few exceptions, the general rule holds true: you will save a lot more money using cash than you will "earn" using credit cards.

Yes, your life will probably be a lot more boring until you're rich at the age of 50 and get to retire. Then you'll laugh at all the assholes you preached about what a great deal credit cards are, and how what a great bargain those student loans are that they've been carrying around for the last 20 years.

/Dave Ramsey
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:48 AM »
The problem with credit cards, and the reason all young people should be advised to avoid them, is because it makes it a lot easier to spend money, and the easier it is spend money, the more you will spend.

Doesn't matter if you get 5% cash back or travel points - odds are, any money you "make" using a credit card will be more than offset by all the extra cash you spent because you use the credit card, as opposed to the more painful process of forking over cash.

The only exceptions to this rule are if you have expenses that are more or less fixed and unavoidable. For example, if you've got a job that requires a lot of travel, it's a great idea to charge that travel on a credit card with incentives. You don't have a choice to incur that expense, and you get reimbursed and get to rack up points.

But other than these few exceptions, the general rule holds true: you will save a lot more money using cash than you will "earn" using credit cards.

Yes, your life will probably be a lot more boring until you're rich at the age of 50 and get to retire. Then you'll laugh at all the assholes you preached about what a great deal credit cards are, and how what a great bargain those student loans are that they've been carrying around for the last 20 years.

/Dave Ramsey

It seems like all of those people will have already experienced all of the things you had to wait until you were 50 for. :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: General Advice You'd Give Someone Younger
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »

Oh JFC.

You can just be so smug and short minded sometimes. I would never advise for any one to do something they didn't love. Everyone has a different situation growing up and certain ppl have limitations in certain areas.

don't use your background as an excuse. (this is advice for everyone).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »

/Dave Ramsey

the above is advice for dumbasses only and should be avoided by most everyone on this message board who I give the benefit of the doubt as being functioning human beings. if you are an idiot who can't handle your finances then credit cards are not a good idea. neither is college probably. look into trade school would be my advice. for the rest of you the world's your oyster.

/steve dave

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
cash is the easiest to spend. I consider cash in my pocket as money already spent because I'm not tracking the numbers in a bank account.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
Cash-only bars reduce my spending because I hate carrying cash. (OT: eff you bars in SF for being cash-only).

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
cash is the easiest to spend. I consider cash in my pocket as money already spent because I'm not tracking the numbers in a bank account.

Yeah. The only time cash is hard to spend is when you don't have enough on you.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
Cash-only bars reduce my spending because I hate carrying cash. (OT: eff you bars in SF for being cash-only).
Is this part of the faux dive bar scene?  That blows

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2013, 12:02:29 PM »

This

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
Don't eff up your credit. 
Don't worry about things that don't really matter.
Try lots of things.
Mostly, don't eff up your credit.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
Do what you love.

And if you find you don't love it as much as you thought you did, do something else.

What if you just graduated from college with a degree in it? Asking for a friend...  :frown:

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »

/Dave Ramsey

It seems like all of those people will have already experienced all of the things you had to wait until you were 50 for. :dunno:

Possibly but not necessarily. Plus he may be able to retire by 50 while you're working until 70.  There's no right or wrong, just depends on your individual goals.  Have fun now and pay for it later or pay for it now and have fun later.
@lopakman

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »
or pay for it now and die

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile