Author Topic: Planning weddings  (Read 88485 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Planning weddings
« Reply #800 on: March 29, 2016, 04:15:44 PM »
I pay tuition.

I understand some, like Ascension, are pure tithing.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 29, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
Speaking of Catholic charities...http://www.catholiccharitiesks.org/Golf-Classic

:sdeek: :sdeek: :sdeek:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 29, 2016, 04:23:07 PM »
pretty sure if you're both Catholic and are having a Catholic wedding, it's kind of required to do this retreat thing, at least that's what we were told.
Nope. Just give them some dough and you can have a pagan orgy in their church.
:lol: I am so glad that the computer servers went down at work and I got to read this thread.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 29, 2016, 04:26:17 PM »
Also why do I have to give god my money?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 29, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »
https://htslenexa.eduk12.net/other.asp?Item=Tuition and Fees Information 2015-16 School Year

So there is a substantial (50%) discount for "parishioners," which are defined as follows:

a. Registered with the Parish and attends Mass regularly.
b. Has an offertory pledge on file for 2015
c. Contributes regularly through envelopes-or automatic offerings
d. Volunteers time and/or talents to the parish/school as capable.
The parish continues to rely on your charitable giving as a separate obligation from school tuition. Your parish contributions are essential to maintain, in addition to the school, the many other important responsibilities of our church shared by the entire faith community of Holy Trinity.

I don't know, that all seems pretty reasonable.  Here's your tuition, be a part of the parish (and donate what you can) and you'll get a 50% discount on your tuition. 

I don't think anyone said it was unreasonable. Although I'm sure "donate what you can" is a bit more specific when push comes to shove.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 29, 2016, 04:30:12 PM »
Also why do I have to give god my money?
You don't have to give your money to anyone.  But if you're worshipping somewhere that has 2 or 3 full time priests -- those guys don't eat for free (well, sometimes they do i guess).  There are also a handful (sometimes more) of parish administrators that require compensation, not to mention the month to month bills that come along with owning a building that hosts thousands of people each week.

If you're into going to church, you should probably help pay for it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 29, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »
Why do they need a salary? Shouldn't they just do it for god?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 29, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
I don't think anyone said it was unreasonable. Although I'm sure "donate what you can" is a bit more specific when push comes to shove.
I don't think so either, but a church/school demanding to see its parishioners' tax info or otherwise conducting some kind of audit seems unreasonable to me.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 29, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »
Why do they need a salary? Shouldn't they just do it for god?
hmm...just spitballing here, but perhaps because people require sustenance and shelter to live.

:Wha:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 29, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
I don't think so either, but a church/school demanding to see its parishioners' tax info or otherwise conducting some kind of audit seems unreasonable to me.

how do you think the tuition assistance mentioned on your link is administered?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: March 29, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »

I think needs based financial aid is a little different than a blanket audit/mandated tithe for all students.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 29, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »
I agree it takes $'s to operate the church but I don't agree 100% with how they want to use the $'s.

ie.  http://catholicdioceseofwichita.org/wichita-news/23735-pieta-another-reason-to-visit-the-cathedral-during-the-year-of-mercy

Want to help keep the Pieta here?
The total cost of the Pieta reproduction is $300,000. Those who wish to help purchase the statue may call Ann. [\quote]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 29, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »

I think needs based financial aid is a little different than a blanket audit/mandated tithe for all students.

ah, it's only unreasonable for people who can afford the school to have their finances audited by the parish.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:28:38 PM by michigancat »

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 29, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »
I agree it takes $'s to operate the church but I don't agree 100% with how they want to use the $'s.

ie.  http://catholicdioceseofwichita.org/wichita-news/23735-pieta-another-reason-to-visit-the-cathedral-during-the-year-of-mercy

The total cost of the Pieta reproduction is $300,000. Those who wish to help purchase the statue may call Ann. [\quote]

Uh, you realize that's not paid for yet, right? So if people want to say "look at this plaque here with my name on it and how I contributed to this beautiful statue that brought tens of thousands to my faith" in 30 years, good for them.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 29, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »

Uh, you realize that's not paid for yet, right? So if people want to say "look at this plaque here with my name on it and how I contributed to this beautiful statue that brought tens of thousands to my faith" in 30 years, good for them.

It just seems impractical when there are many more worthwhile projects to fund like the lords diner.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 29, 2016, 05:26:43 PM »
you guys should get back to talking about planning weddings before this hits the pit

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 29, 2016, 06:31:09 PM »

ah, it's only unreasonable for people who can afford the school to have their finances audited by the parish.
Yep. Pretty much how any other student aid works.

I think it's unreasonable for a parish to know the finances of every parishioner if there's not really any reason to know.  It's invasive and a waste of resources that serves no purpose. 

If a parishioner is coming to the church/school and asking for need-based aid, then yeah, the church/school has a reason to take an interest in that person's financial situation.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:38:17 PM by Dlew12 »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 29, 2016, 07:02:14 PM »

Yep. Pretty much how any other student aid works.

I think it's unreasonable for a parish to know the finances of every parishioner if there's not really any reason to know.  It's invasive and a waste of resources that serves no purpose. 

If a parishioner is coming to the church/school and asking for need-based aid, then yeah, the church/school has a reason to take an interest in that person's financial situation.

Everyone who is a "parishoner" and sending their kid to the school is receiving financial aid. It doesn't seem unreasonable at all for the church to want those those with higher incomes to donate more to the church than poorer families to receive that financial aid from the church.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 29, 2016, 08:56:08 PM »
Fan man,

Mrs j-dub and myself will be meeting with a priest next week to discuss our marriage prep. And I know this weekend encounter thing is a possibility. And frankly, even though we're both practicing Catholics it scares the crap out of me too.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 29, 2016, 09:00:28 PM »
How much have you let her family influence the wedding planning besides this impending holy weekend retreat business?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 29, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
 :excited: They really haven't influenced it at all. We got our destination wedding. The only thing they wanted really badly was the reception party at Lake Quivira back home, two weeks later. We were totally cool with that. Why not have a big party back home. :D

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 29, 2016, 09:09:54 PM »
WC I can't remember, are you converting?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 29, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »
No. Just getting the wedding blessed back home in KC before the reception

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 29, 2016, 09:16:01 PM »
She's probably came to my family's church more if anything.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 29, 2016, 09:18:39 PM »
you're really liking to be the only non catholic at that retreat.