Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 33403 times)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Does God Exist?
« Reply #250 on: April 02, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »
I think it had more to do with your personal experiences that were confirmed by debates you read.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2013, 12:02:05 AM »
I evolved (heh) pretty much like michcat minus the catholic thing. I didn't change my mind because of debates but because I actually got old enough to start thinking about things on my own.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:33 AM »
since this is now a fun muffin Q&A, i've always wondered why jesus had to die "for our sins".  if god is all powerful, can't he just be like "bros, you guys are cleaned of sin now" and skip killing his son that is also himself?

eagerly awaiting the answer, it's something i've been stuck on for a while.

Sin is like an insurmountable debt that must be paid.  Jesus did not commit any sin, therefore He is eligible to bear our sin in our place.

Sin like any other debt must be paid i.e. punished, otherwise God would not be just. If he just handed out forgiveness and everyone was clean, without the penalty being paid- justice would not be carried out. In the old testament, the system of atoning for sin is that sin would be transferred into an animal (goat or lamb). And then it would be sacrificed. but this process had to be done continuously. The priest would have to atone for the sins of the people in this way over and over.

Jesus, the 'Lamb' of God, was the ultimate sacrifice for sin.  He absorbed sin, into himself and laid his life down as the perfect atoning sacrifice. because he is God, this sacrifice was good enough to be perfect and absorb the punishment for sin, fully, finally and forever.  And then in Jesus's resurrection the victory over sin was/is completed.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2013, 12:09:42 AM »
Also, fun muffin, their point is (to paraphrase someone famous) "I am me AND my circumstance". God created me, physical and mental strengths and weaknesses included, then put me in a circumstance that he also created. If he is all knowing, then he would know how his creation would interact with his created environmental model, like an engineer who designs bridges with different load bearing capacities but who also controls traffic and weather. Does the weak bridge choose to buckle?

Hence, either no free will or no omniscience/omnipotence.

I mean, Calvinists figured this out like 400 years ago. Hence the Protestant work ethic.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2013, 12:12:16 AM »
since this is now a fun muffin Q&A, i've always wondered why jesus had to die "for our sins".  if god is all powerful, can't he just be like "bros, you guys are cleaned of sin now" and skip killing his son that is also himself?

Sin is like an insurmountable debt that must be paid.  Jesus did not commit any sin, therefore He is eligible to bear our sin in our place.

Sin like any other debt must be paid i.e. punished, otherwise God would not be just. If he just handed out forgiveness and everyone was clean, without the penalty being paid- justice would not be carried out. In the old testament, the system of atoning for sin is that sin would be transferred into an animal (goat or lamb). And then it would be sacrificed. but this process had to be done continuously. The priest would have to atone for the sins of the people in this way over and over.

Jesus, the 'Lamb' of God, was the ultimate sacrifice for sin.  He absorbed sin, into himself and laid his life down as the perfect atoning sacrifice. because he is God, this sacrifice was good enough to be perfect and absorb the punishment for sin, fully, finally and forever.  And then in Jesus's resurrection the victory over sin was/is completed.

Again, the root question is if omnipotent god made all the rules, why did he make this one? Why not just replace crucifixion with a penalty box or community service? You're lumbering towards the "best of all possible worlds" question.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2013, 12:21:09 AM »

people in the old testament sounded like friggin idiots

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2013, 12:23:44 AM »
What in the world.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »
Doesn't really instill personal responsibility if one dude can just get punished for everyone.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »
Doesn't really instill personal responsibility if one dude can just get punished for everyone.

Well no way that's true, then. Religion was made up to control people.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #259 on: April 03, 2013, 12:29:16 AM »

people in the old testament sounded like friggin idiots

Can you blame goats for starting the whole Satan worship thing? They were really getting mumped in this deal. Every time Onan cranked one out behind the hut, one of their kids got gutted and set on fire.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 03, 2013, 12:34:14 AM »

Well no way that's true, then. Religion was made up to control people.

Fwiw, I don't think it started out as a means of control, but was eventually hijacked by assholes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 03, 2013, 12:48:20 AM »
Everyone is so busy getting ready to make their next point that they're not even listening to what the other person is saying. The whole exercise is so futile, but we all feel the need to come post why WE'RE right.

i don't think that people usually change their minds in the middle of a debate; they attempt to vigorously defend their position and refute the opposing position.  however, i think that people later reflect upon their debates and ameliorate their positions if they found, in making their argument, themselves asserting things without basis in fact or logic.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #262 on: April 03, 2013, 05:46:16 AM »
Everyone is defending and attacking a traditional Christian omnipotent, omnipresent, benevolent god. There're a lot of other options.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2013, 05:54:47 AM »
Everyone is defending and attacking a traditional Christian omnipotent, omnipresent, benevolent god. There're a lot of other options.

I think several believe in a vaguely defined higher power, but until someone one-ups fun muffins links, this is his show.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:56 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the links.

In all honesty, I'm just deeply amused by this quote on the "inspired, inerrant" links. If there ever was a real discussion with fun muffin, it pretty much ended there.

EVERYONE: But what about [paradox]
FUN MUFFIN: LINKS

EVERYONE: But what about [problem of evil]
FUN MUFFIN: LINKS

EVERYONE: But what about [best of all possible worlds]
FUN MUFFIN: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE LINKS!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 03, 2013, 06:43:41 AM »
fun muffin, you are doing a good job!

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 03, 2013, 07:20:23 AM »
I don't know how to ask this without sounding condescending, but I'd honestly like to ask how atheists think the universe was created.

We need a bigger super collider.

How do religious people think god was created?

http://carm.org/who-made-god-richard-dawkins

Ummm.. yeah, that answered nothing.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »
One of my biggest worries is that if Jesus does ever come back no one will believe him and everyone will just think he is a crazy and dismiss him (or repersecute him). He probably already has come back and is in prison or on the side of the road holding a sign.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2013, 07:44:35 AM »
I hate Richard Dawkins.  To me, the eqivalent would be listening to Cookie Monster lecture on Bakery Science.  Dawkins' logic skills are putrid.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2013, 07:44:39 AM »
One of my biggest worries is that if Jesus does ever come back no one will believe him and everyone will just think he is a crazy and dismiss him (or repersecute him). He probably already has come back and is in prison or on the side of the road holding a sign.

He will probably have to resemble how da Vinci depicted him as well.  If he comes back looking like a middle eastener, nobody will buy it.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:06 AM »
Got some time to kill?

:dance:

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 03, 2013, 09:10:28 AM »
Got some time to kill?

I enjoy the Zeitgeist documentaries, all 3 are on Netflix as well

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #272 on: April 03, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
Got some time to kill?

I saw this several years ago.  Although I enjoyed it; It irritated the crap out of me with the Horus / Jesus assertions it made.  Only because I know Horus was a god that spanned several dynasties and had several different stories depending on what dynasty you were referring to.  There were several different accounts as to who his mother/brother/children were.  Even completely different names used to refer to Horus. Sure, point out the similarities between Jesus and all other gods...  But don't say Jesus is exactly the same story of an Egyptian god that has very little information/stories that don't completely contradict themselves from others bits of info.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:45 AM »
I don't know how to ask this without sounding condescending, but I'd honestly like to ask how atheists think the universe was created.

We need a bigger super collider.

How do religious people think god was created?

http://carm.org/who-made-god-richard-dawkins

Ummm.. yeah, that answered nothing.

I like the half-ass deconstruction approach that he probably wouldn't want applied to any other questions.

What created God?
What created existence?
What existed creation?
Existence created what?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 03, 2013, 09:46:30 AM »
Fun muffin, my intent was not to attack you last night, fwiw. I'm happy for you that you can feel some security and comfort in your beliefs. I personally think they are silly, but I'm just some guy on the internet.
:adios: