Author Topic: SIAP: Good Grantland article on the pace of college basketball  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
I thought this was pretty good.  And I think it has relevance to some of the conversations that have been on the board regarding our offense.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8959324/college-basketball-scoring-problem-west-liberty-university-coach-jim-crutchfield

"Coaches are a lot more control freaks than they've ever been," says Baucom, which is not a complaint you hear very often from a coach at a school that claims to foster "punctuality, order, discipline, courtesy, and respect for authority."

"I call 'em joystick coaches," Baucom tells me. "They try to orchestrate every movement instead of letting 'em play. It becomes kind of like a wrestling match. There's teams in our league that run 20 seconds of false motion to get the shot clock down, and then run a set. I watch some teams play and it looks like the kids are in jail."

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: SIAP: Good Grantland article on the pace of college basketball
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
that's great. I love that guy. He echoes a lot of what I've said.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »
grantland is the best because it is just such good journalism, also I've said that same thing here all the time essentially re. this basektball thing

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
that is great, i love him too. he's basically copied everything i post here.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »
"I don't think teams seriously look to score in transition enough," he says. "You get 20 seconds of, 'We're kind of looking to score, we're passing the ball but really not doing anything.' And then, 'OK, here we go, 12 seconds on the shot clock, here comes the high ball screen.'

:cheers:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 02:28:34 PM »
Great stuff.  Thanks for sharing.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »
bother much with networking. A few years ago he got a call from an agent who asked if he could put Crutchfield's name up for Division I openings; Crutchfield agreed, and he's declined every job he's been offered since. This is the state where he grew up, and this is the state

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
"I don't think teams seriously look to score in transition enough," he says. "You get 20 seconds of, 'We're kind of looking to score, we're passing the ball but really not doing anything.' And then, 'OK, here we go, 12 seconds on the shot clock, here comes the high ball screen.'

do you think that all offenses, regardless of player's skill level, benefit from trying to score as much as possible in transition?
i don't. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

catzacker

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »

do you think that all offenses, regardless of player's skill level, benefit from trying to score as much as possible in transition?
i don't.

Some time’s it’s a self fulfilling prophecy maybe?  Like, how do we know that Whisky doesn’t have the skill set to do this when their coach would rather the world ended than a get into transition?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »

i don't. 

Yes, I do believe that. I think every skill level should try to score in transition every possession, whether if it's off a miss, a make, or out-of-bounds. This doesn't mean every team should shoot in transition every possession, but they should at least see if they can get a shot. If they can't, then they can still run around and pass for 20 seconds before setting a high ball screen.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »

i don't.

Some time’s it’s a self fulfilling prophecy maybe?  Like, how do we know that Whisky doesn’t have the skill set to do this when their coach would rather the world ended than a get into transition?

are you implying that wisconsin doesn't have highly skilled players?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »

i don't. 

Yes, I do believe that. I think every skill level should try to score in transition every possession, whether if it's off a miss, a make, or out-of-bounds. This doesn't mean every team should shoot in transition every possession, but they should at least see if they can get a shot. If they can't, then they can run around and pass for 20 seconds before setting a high ball screen.

what's the difference between a shot in transition, and a shot found within an offense?

catzacker

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »

i don't.

I’m responding to the idea that certain skill sets are for transition, others for “traditional” offense. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »

i don't. 

Yes, I do believe that. I think every skill level should try to score in transition every possession, whether if it's off a miss, a make, or out-of-bounds. This doesn't mean every team should shoot in transition every possession, but they should at least see if they can get a shot. If they can't, then they can run around and pass for 20 seconds before setting a high ball screen.

what's the difference between a shot in transition, and a shot found within an offense?

Comfort of the defense and likelihood to get a foul call

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »

i don't. 

what if transition is an offense? boom. mind blown.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »

i don't.

I’m responding to the idea that certain skill sets are for transition, others for “traditional” offense. 

you answered a question with a question, big no-no, catzacker.   :nono:
what's wisconsin's level of success in transition versus any high tempo team of your choosing? 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 02:49:47 PM »

i don't. 

who runs that?

catzacker

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »

i don't.

what's wisconsin's level of success in transition versus any high tempo team of your choosing?

what's their level of success playing high tempo against a high tempo team?  answer:  we'll never know.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »
Nothing would make me happier than to see a more free flowing game with the defensive side of the ball cleaned up (and the hip check ball screen wiped out on offense so teams quit rough ridin' doing it all the time).   With the ball being pushed down the floor, secondary break and then only if they don't have a primary or secondary the ball pulled out and some type of offense run . . . without plays of course.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »

i don't. 

who runs that?

Who runs transition offense? Ha, thought you were trying to have a serious discussion.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »

i don't. 

who runs that?

Who runs transition offense? Ha, thought you were trying to have a serious discussion.

doesn't everyone? 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
doesn't everyone? 

Maybe? Maybe not?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »

i don't.

what's their level of success playing high tempo against a high tempo team?  answer:  we'll never know.

good stuff, catzacker.   :thumbs:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
doesn't everyone? 

Maybe? Maybe not?

what are your thoughts on the dribble drive motion as it relates to the transition game?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
Dumb article.