Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 172711 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
Assume it costs more, takes longer, but you get what you want?  What kind of percentage premium are we talking here?

EDIT: new thread title so people participate and don't blow by this thread

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone give me the deal on building a house?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
there are plenty of houses, no need to build new ones.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Can someone give me the deal on building a house?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:53:49 AM »
It doesn't cost more

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »
We might have specific needs like maybe I am paralyzed from below the dick.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
Assume it costs more, takes longer, but you get what you want?  What kind of percentage premium are we talking here?

Depends on size, layout, difficulty, and overall cost.  There are other variables too, but those are the main ones. 

Also, Mich is right.  you will get a much better deal buying an exiting house right now.  If you hire someone to build it, you aren't getting a deal and you can always hire someone to build a paralyzed dick ramp or lift or something.

That said, if you are still getting paid to do nothing, you should totally go test out on the GC license and build it yourself.  Should be able to do so in the next 4-6 months and save 10%-20% on the overall.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »
Like I just feel people are building really stupid houses these days.  Having trouble finding layouts we like.  They always make the kids' rooms too big or throw in some superfluous formal dining room.  LIke I want baller kitchen and master BD and bath, but could skimp on crap I don't need.  Also want monster garage if I can't have an "out building" for all of my first world problems like boats and ATV's and other man stuff.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 12:05:32 PM »
build a house out of straw bales. i read about it and thought it was cool.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 12:09:35 PM »
You can also buy an 80% done house and have it finished to your specs. Talk to a large builder in your area and ask them what neighborhoods they have unsold starts and drive by to scope out the neighborhood. Or you can drive through a newer neighborhood and just scout out builder signs at new starts for an idea on who to call.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
Like I just feel people are building really stupid houses these days.  Having trouble finding layouts we like.  They always make the kids' rooms too big or throw in some superfluous formal dining room.  LIke I want baller kitchen and master BD and bath, but could skimp on crap I don't need.  Also want monster garage if I can't have an "out building" for all of my first world problems like boats and ATV's and other man stuff.

If you build a house like the one you've described, you could have a lot of trouble selling it. Keep looking.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 12:25:24 PM »

If you build a house like the one you've described, you could have a lot of trouble selling it. Keep looking.

Plan on living there a long time.  Don't care about selling.  Will (hopefully) be super rich when we sell anyway so it won't matter.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 12:42:38 PM »
If you end up hiring someone to build from scratch, let me know.  there are a few things I would recommend you discuss with the builder that would keep you from having some frustration in the future.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 12:44:46 PM »
If you end up hiring someone to build from scratch, let me know.  there are a few things I would recommend you discuss with the builder that would keep you from having some frustration in the future.

PM me these things please

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »
Will do.  I just can't decide if I'm being a bitch about what I want and if I'm stubborn and patient enough to build exactly what I want.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »

PM me these things please

What type of house are you looking into building.  PM me a description as far as layout/style (ranch, split, etc) and I will give you what I have that applies.  Nothing earth shattering, but still worthwhile.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »
Ranch or two story

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
Walkout

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »

Plan on living there a long time.  Don't care about selling.  Will (hopefully) be super rich when we sell anyway so it won't matter.

then hire an architect and quit rough ridin' with these pudnocker cookie-cutter builders that will use shitty materials that will look/feel like crap in 10 years.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Can someone give me the deal on building a house?
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 12:54:15 PM »

then hire an architect and quit rough ridin' with these pudnocker cookie-cutter builders that will use shitty materials that will look/feel like crap in 10 years.

Good advice

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 01:15:31 PM »
Walkout

I will get this to you tonight or this weekend. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
custom is the only way to go.  if you have enough money, you'll find them.  also, like rusty said, architect.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »

That sounds like I need to be super rich now (which I'm not).

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »
Is this monument to Emo Emaw going in a neighborhood or out in the country?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »

Like I don't want my house wall to be 10 feet from my neighbor's house wall (seems like a lot of the new neighborhoods are like this), but like it'd be nice if we had neighbors?  I'm torn on the idea of a HOA.  Would love to have some free range chickens.  Don't really need like more than an acre if that's what you're asking.  Could certainly do with less than a half acre lot. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »

Like I don't want my house wall to be 10 feet from my neighbor's house wall (seems like a lot of the new neighborhoods are like this), but like it'd be nice if we had neighbors?  I'm torn on the idea of a HOA.  Would love to have some free range chickens.  Don't really need like more than an acre if that's what you're asking.  Could certainly do with less than a half acre lot.

Based on the things you are saying, you absolutely do NOT want an HOA.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »

Based on the things you are saying, you absolutely do NOT want an HOA.

Well like I don't want to live next to West Virginians, either.  I'm probably a libertarian, so like inherently against more rules, but can certainly see the value in some of them.