Author Topic: KSU Booze Cats  (Read 572543 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: KSU Bat Cats 2013:
« Reply #2950 on: January 27, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »
hosting a super regional would be huge

I would get so incredibly hammered.  I would make that stadium look like a drunken version of the streets of Kiev but everyone is wearing purple.

NCAA event tho  :frown:

(pre-pak, tho)

john currie tho

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: January 27, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »
hosting a super regional would be huge

I would get so incredibly hammered.  I would make that stadium look like a drunken version of the streets of Kiev but everyone is wearing purple.

NCAA event tho  :frown:

(pre-pak, tho)

john currie tho

Get pak'd in Snyders suite at the Toint!
@Trogdor_gE

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: January 27, 2014, 09:29:16 PM »
Guys, Ross Kivett is such a stud. I keep getting raging EmawBoners about him
@Trogdor_gE

Offline broXcore

• Katpak'r
  • cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: January 27, 2014, 10:56:56 PM »
aside from kivett, i'm stoked to see how matthys builds on an amazing freshman season

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: January 27, 2014, 11:54:11 PM »
This will be a great season.  :ksu:

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: January 27, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »
aside from kivett, i'm stoked to see how matthys builds on an amazing freshman season

Kivett is a confirmed super stud and will continue to improve on his super stud status.   Matthys is already a stud and I am excited to see him turn into a super stud and beyond.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: January 29, 2014, 11:35:45 PM »
this season is going to be great. i'm excited to see how our guys have improved. condor and ross the stud/boss are going to be great for us this year, as will the rest of the team. go #boozecats.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: January 29, 2014, 11:36:30 PM »
this season is going to be great. i'm excited to see how our guys have improved. condor and ross the stud/boss are going to be great for us this year, as will the rest of the team. go #boozecats.

:thumbs:

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: January 30, 2014, 12:24:47 AM »
Only like a month away now!  :ksu:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: January 30, 2014, 12:25:23 AM »
Omaha will be fun

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: January 30, 2014, 12:27:23 AM »

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: January 30, 2014, 01:05:22 AM »
Omaha or bust!   I'd actually even consider making a trip to that God forsaken place if the Cats qualify.   Hell, I'm gonna are sure  I'm up to date on all my shots, just in case.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: January 30, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »
New #KStateHDTV platform is being installed at Tointon Family Stadium today. Are you getting ready for #KStateBSB? pic.twitter.com/1mestlUQDD

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: January 30, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »
 :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu: :ksu:

@Trogdor_gE

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: January 31, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »
22. KANSAS STATE

2013 Record (Ranking): 45-19 (13). RPI: 16.

Coach (Record at school): Brad Hill (338-243-3, 10 years).

Postseason History: 4 regionals (active streak: 1), 0 CWS trips, 0 national titles.

2014 LINEUP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pos. Name Yr. AVG OBP SLG HR RBI SB
C Blair DeBord Sr. .327 .418 .392 0 37 6
1B Shane Conlon Jr. .341 .430 .502 7 28 17
2B Ross Kivett Sr. .360 .440 .483 3 39 26
3B R.J. Santigate Sr. .324 .409 .360 0 29 11
SS Austin Fisher Jr. .361 .443 .514 2 38 3
LF Kyle Speer Jr. .143 .273 .200 0 4 0
CF Clayton Dalrymple So. .343 .343 .400 0 6 2
RF Mitch Meyer Jr. .281 .322 .492 4 34 2
DH Max Brown Jr. NA Tr.—Bellevue (Wash.) CC
Pos. Name Yr. W L ERA IP SO SV
RHP Levi MaVorhis So. 5 0 4.77 55 30 0
LHP Jared Moore Sr. 4 0 3.73 31 23 0
RHP Colton Kalmus R-Fr. NA DNP-Injured
RP Jake Matthys So. 9 2 2.05 61 44 9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hitting: 65. Six regulars return from a team that ranked second in the nation in batting and fifth in triples last year, evidence of its prowess at driving the gaps. Up and down the lineup, the hard-nosed Wildcats apply pressure a variety of ways—working counts, getting hit by pitches, bunting, hitting behind runners, and mixing up their attack. Kivett, the reigning Big 12 player of the year, makes the Wildcats go with his energy and his ability to get on base thanks to a patient, mature all-fields approach. Fisher is a skilled, disciplined hitter with an inside-out swing, excelling at spoiling pitches and serving the ball to left field. Conlon, the most physical hitter in the lineup, can wear out the gaps or lay down a bunt. Meyer, Santigate and DeBord have all proven they can hit for average, and each delivered his share of timely hits last year. Speer and Dalrymple might not put up big numbers but should scrap and claw through at-bats, making them good fits in this lineup.

Ross Kivett (Photo by John Williamson)
Power: 40. Departed Jared King and Jon Davis combined to hit 12 of Kansas State’s 29 homers last year. Conlon matured into a legitimate power threat last year, and Meyer brings occasional pop as well. The 6-foot-5, 200-pound Brown is something of a wild card, as he has flashed strength but remains somewhat raw at the plate. Speer could hit a few home runs, and Kivett flashed fringe-average power in the Cape Cod League but has hit just three homers in three years at KSU. The Wildcats figure to thrive on using the gaps again, racking up doubles and triples.

Speed: 60. Kansas State’s aggressiveness on the basepaths makes its speed play up. Kivett is a fringy runner but knows how to read pitchers, read balls in the dirt, and generally take the extra base when the opportunity presents itself. The same could be true of most Wildcats, to varying degrees. Conlon stole 17 bases in 21 tries last year, Santigate swiped 11 bags in 16 tries, and DeBord was 6-for-8—and that’s from the two infield corners and the catcher. The tooled-up Brown is the fastest player on the team, and Dalymple is also an above-average runner.

Defense: 65. The Wildcats have upperclassmen at all four infield spots and catcher, and all of them were reliable starters on a team that fielded .974 last year (36th in the country). Conlon is a premier defensive first baseman, while Kivett and Fisher make all the routine plays but lack standout range or flashy actions. Santigate has very good range and instincts at third, helping him get to more balls than most, but he needs to cut down his errors a bit. DeBord runs the show behind the plate; this will be his third year calling pitches, and he has a good feel for setting hitters up, in addition to strong receiving skills and an accurate arm, though not a cannon. The outfield should be decent but not exceptional.

Starting Pitching: 35. The rotation was KSU’s weakness last year, and it will be again. The Wildcats were able to win despite seldom getting solid five-inning starts on the mound, but they hope MaVorhis and Moore can go deeper into games this year. MaVorhis is a strike-thrower with a low-to-mid-80s fastball, an adequate slider and a very good changeup. Moore showed an improved changeup during his breakout fall, complementing his 84-86 fastball and decent curve. Kalmus missed last year with a fracture in his forearm and has dealt with some soreness this winter, but if healthy he offers more arm strength, with an 86-90 fastball, a decent slider and changeup.

Bullpen: 55. Matthys earned freshman All-America honors last year, when he anchored the entire pitching staff from the back. His unflappable confidence is his best asset, and he attacks hitters with a lively 86-88 sinker, a good changeup and slider. The Wildcats can extend Matthys for multiple innings to shorten games, but they also have a competitive, proven setup man in Jr. RHP Nate Williams, who works at 88-92 with serious sink and a power curveball that is an out pitch when it’s on. The X-factor is Jr. RHP Jake Whaley, a junior-college transfer with a 93-94 fastball who is still learning to throw strikes consistently.

Experience/Intangibles: 65. The Wildcats have long embraced a dogged, blue-collar ethos that starts at the top with coach Brad Hill. Toughness has been their calling card for years, consistently helping them play above their talent. They play with energy, they have fun, and they expect to win. It also helps that their lineup and bullpen are loaded with veterans coming off a strong showing in a tough super regional at Oregon State.

Baseball America OFP: 55. Starting with its first-ever regional in 2009, Kansas State has been to the NCAA tournament four times in five years. The Wildcats hosted a regional for the first time last year and won it. They are good enough to compete for another Big 12 championship and will have a shot to elevate the program to an even higher level if their starting pitching improves. But that remains a major question mark.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: January 31, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »
explanation of grading scale:

About Our Grades

We love the 20-80 scouting scale at Baseball America; we use it to assess everything from prospects to our favorite local barbecue restaurants. So we figured it would be fun and instructive to subject our preseason top 25 rankings to the same scrutiny.

Scouts grade prospects on how their tools compare with those of an average major leaguer, but we are rating teams relative to an average college baseball team with NCAA tournament aspirations. In addition to grading our top 25 teams on typical tools like hitting for average, hitting for power, speed and defense, we have divided the fifth tool (arm) into two categories: starting pitching and bullpen. We’re also giving teams a grade for Experience/Intangibles—think of it as a team’s “makeup,” if you like. For each category, a grade of 50 is average, comparable to a typical NCAA tournament contender; 60 is above-average; 70 is well above-average; 40 is below-average; and 30 is well below-average. Twenty and 80 are the extreme limits in each direction.

Finally, each team is given an Overall Future Potential (OFP) grade. The OFP scale:

80: A team for the ages. An overwhelming favorite with no obvious weaknesses. Think 1981 Arizona State or 1996 Louisiana State. There is no team like this heading into 2014.

70: Elite. A leading contender for the national title. (Virginia.)

65: Well-above-average. Legitimate championship contender. (Oregon State, Indiana, Cal State Fullerton, North Carolina State, Florida State, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Louisiana State.)

60: Above-average. Strong Omaha contender. (Vanderbilt, Oregon, UCLA, Clemson, Louisiana-Lafayette)

55: Slightly above-average. A threat to win a conference title and perhaps reach Omaha. (Rice, Miami, North Carolina, Texas, Texas Christian, Louisville, Alabama, Kansas State, Florida, Texas A&M, Arkansas.)

50: Average. Strong NCAA tournament teams who could make a postseason run. (None in this year’s preseason Top 25)

Ranking teams is far from an exact science, and there will doubtless be surprises and disappointments as the season unfolds. Last season, seven of the eight teams that eventually made the College World Series were ranked in our preseason top 12—but one team, Indiana, was unranked. We think applying the 20-80 scale is an illuminating way to gauge each team’s projected strengths and weaknesses heading into the season.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KSU Bat Cats 2014
« Reply #2966 on: January 31, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
I want Omaha pretty badly
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: January 31, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »

Me too friend, me too.  :thumbs:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: January 31, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »
How does Oregon State do it?  We should do it that way

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: January 31, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
How does Oregon State do it?  We should do it that way

My roommate went to Oregon State his freshman year. I will ask him.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: January 31, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
I punched a wall when we didn't get to Omaha last year. I want it really bad.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 31, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »

"I got this, bro."

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 31, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »

:thumbs:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 31, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »

I can't even put it into words, that bad.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: February 01, 2014, 02:14:43 AM »
explanation of grading scale:

About Our Grades

We love the 20-80 scouting scale at Baseball America; we use it to assess everything from prospects to our favorite local barbecue restaurants. So we figured it would be fun and instructive to subject our preseason top 25 rankings to the same scrutiny.

Scouts grade prospects on how their tools compare with those of an average major leaguer, but we are rating teams relative to an average college baseball team with NCAA tournament aspirations. In addition to grading our top 25 teams on typical tools like hitting for average, hitting for power, speed and defense, we have divided the fifth tool (arm) into two categories: starting pitching and bullpen. We’re also giving teams a grade for Experience/Intangibles—think of it as a team’s “makeup,” if you like. For each category, a grade of 50 is average, comparable to a typical NCAA tournament contender; 60 is above-average; 70 is well above-average; 40 is below-average; and 30 is well below-average. Twenty and 80 are the extreme limits in each direction.

Finally, each team is given an Overall Future Potential (OFP) grade. The OFP scale:

80: A team for the ages. An overwhelming favorite with no obvious weaknesses. Think 1981 Arizona State or 1996 Louisiana State. There is no team like this heading into 2014.

70: Elite. A leading contender for the national title. (Virginia.)

65: Well-above-average. Legitimate championship contender. (Oregon State, Indiana, Cal State Fullerton, North Carolina State, Florida State, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Louisiana State.)

60: Above-average. Strong Omaha contender. (Vanderbilt, Oregon, UCLA, Clemson, Louisiana-Lafayette)

55: Slightly above-average. A threat to win a conference title and perhaps reach Omaha. (Rice, Miami, North Carolina, Texas, Texas Christian, Louisville, Alabama, Kansas State, Florida, Texas A&M, Arkansas.)

50: Average. Strong NCAA tournament teams who could make a postseason run. (None in this year’s preseason Top 25)

Ranking teams is far from an exact science, and there will doubtless be surprises and disappointments as the season unfolds. Last season, seven of the eight teams that eventually made the College World Series were ranked in our preseason top 12—but one team, Indiana, was unranked. We think applying the 20-80 scale is an illuminating way to gauge each team’s projected strengths and weaknesses heading into the season.

Their definitions are weird.   Slightly above average means a confy contender and average means a strong post season team?   There's like 300 baseball teams but the top 64 are only average?