Author Topic: The Hope and the Change . . . died a long time ago . . .  (Read 5465 times)

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
Re: The Hope and the Change . . . died a long time ago . . .
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 04:00:49 PM »
yeah, he is pretty dumb.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
Oh look, the village idiot has confused marginal rates with effective rates.  Color me surprised.

Dems blow my rough ridin' mind.  They want more taxes for their crony bullshit and to support the welfare state they vigorously perpetuate, but they are unwilling to adopt policy that increases taxes the fastest (ie, increased labor force and tax base).  Rather they endorse policies geared at making more people poor and most destructive to the longevity of our society.

I didn't confuse anything.  Some people pay mostly capital gains taxes, which means their effective rate falls somewhere between 39% and 15%.
  You keep obsessing over this false dichotomy between right and left, when in reality, I fall somewhere in the middle.  I'm a registered Independent and would be open to voting for a Republican if the party would nominate a legitimate candidate.  The only village idiot here is you.

:lol:  what a dumbass. 

This post is prima facie evidence you dont know the difference.

Effective:

The term effective tax rate has significantly different meanings when used in different contexts or by different sources. Generally it means some amount of tax divided by some amount of income or other tax base.

Marginal:

For an individual, it can be determined by increasing or decreasing the income earned or spent and calculating the change in taxes payable. An individual's tax bracket is the range of income for which a given marginal tax rate applies. The marginal tax rate may increase or decrease as income or consumption increases, although in most countries the tax rate is (in principle) progressive. In such cases, the average tax rate will be lower than the marginal tax rate: an individual may have a marginal tax rate of 45%, but pay average tax of half this amount.

So would you feel better if I used "average tax rate" instead of "effective tax rate"?   

:confused:

*And in the example I used I was clearly referring to the top 1% of income earners, not just anyone.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:01:06 PM by OregonSmock »

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
Oh look, the village idiot has confused marginal rates with effective rates.  Color me surprised.

Dems blow my rough ridin' mind.  They want more taxes for their crony bullshit and to support the welfare state they vigorously perpetuate, but they are unwilling to adopt policy that increases taxes the fastest (ie, increased labor force and tax base).  Rather they endorse policies geared at making more people poor and most destructive to the longevity of our society.

I didn't confuse anything.  Some people pay mostly capital gains taxes, which means their effective rate falls somewhere between 39% and 15%.
  You keep obsessing over this false dichotomy between right and left, when in reality, I fall somewhere in the middle.  I'm a registered Independent and would be open to voting for a Republican if the party would nominate a legitimate candidate.  The only village idiot here is you.

Effective:

The term effective tax rate has significantly different meanings when used in different contexts or by different sources. Generally it means some amount of tax divided by some amount of income or other tax base.

Marginal:

For an individual, it can be determined by increasing or decreasing the income earned or spent and calculating the change in taxes payable. An individual's tax bracket is the range of income for which a given marginal tax rate applies. The marginal tax rate may increase or decrease as income or consumption increases, although in most countries the tax rate is (in principle) progressive. In such cases, the average tax rate will be lower than the marginal tax rate: an individual may have a marginal tax rate of 45%, but pay average tax of half this amount.

So would you feel better if I used "average tax rate" instead of "effective tax rate"?   

*And in the example I used I was clearly referring to the top 1% of income earners, not just anyone.

Things that would make me feel better

1. If you knew the difference between effective and marginal tax rates before posting

2. If I thought you really understood them after looking them up, still don't believe you do, or you would realize your 1% income earners disclaimer has no bearing.

3. The thing that would make me feel a lot better though would be if you would use an effective tax rate graph while trying to make a point about effective tax rates.

4. Lastly I appreciate it much more when someone just acknowledges that they have made a mistake instead of trying to cover it up.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2013, 11:56:24 PM »

Effective:

Marginal:

Things that would make me feel better

1. If you knew the difference between effective and marginal tax rates before posting

2. If I thought you really understood them after looking them up, still don't believe you do, or you would realize your 1% income earners disclaimer has no bearing.

3. The thing that would make me feel a lot better though would be if you would use an effective tax rate graph while trying to make a point about effective tax rates.

4. Lastly I appreciate it much more when someone just acknowledges that they have made a mistake instead of trying to cover it up.

You lack the necessary reading comprehension skills to understand my initial post.  Effective tax rates can refer to more than just income tax.   For some people, their income comes in the form of capital gains. 

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/effectivetaxrate.asp#axzz2KqljFSPP

Definition of 'Effective Tax Rate'
The average rate at which an individual or corporation is taxed. The effective tax rate for individuals is the average rate at which their earned income is taxed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/leonardburman/2012/01/18/mitt-romneys-teachable-moment-on-capital-gains/

The news that Mitt Romney earns most of his income in the form of capital gains is really no surprise. That is one of the attractions of being in a business like Bain Capital.  If your corporate restructuring works out well, you can earn millions or tens of millions of dollars and pay a flat 15 percent tax rate on it.  (You also avoid the 2.9 percent Medicare tax that would apply if the income were treated as regular compensation.)  By all accounts, the Bain deals worked out very well indeed, which is why Governor Romney has been able to spend so much time running for office rather than working for a living.

So in other words, eff off, you pompous douchebag.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »
Then why post a graph about marginal tax rates?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
Then why post a graph about marginal tax rates?

Because I was trying to provide citation for the fact that marginal tax rates (as well as effective tax rates) are at near historic lows. 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:06:33 AM by OregonSmock »

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
your initial graph made a case for historically low marginal rates, if you would have as well there would be no argument, regardless it doesn't mean much because just as marginal rates have fluctuated so have deductions.  Something you might also consider when looking at Romneys situation is this,  When you go to work and sell your time and efforts for a paycheck that paycheck is a sure thing, conversely when Mitt bets 1 million dollars on an investment he could make a million profit and pay 150k in cap gains tax or he could lose 1 million and not be able to write off more than 3000.
It is important to understand if you are a brilliant investor you could never outrun paying normal tax rates on speculative investment without a very high success rate.  So when the left makes the warren buffet argument it is dissengenuous and if they had their way there would be far less private investment and far less economic growth that creates jobs. Since african americans have the highest unemployment rate, that makes democrats racist. :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat: :opcat:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2013, 11:11:33 PM »
Wow, bmw egaging in the biggest bbs flail ever right now. What a rough ridin' assclown
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd