Author Topic: San Francisco things  (Read 149522 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2013, 10:33:18 PM »
you're going to have to leave your gentrified haunts to find my bike, michigancat.

try the tenderloin.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/09/07/160753071/the-economics-of-stealing-bikes
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2013, 11:37:46 PM »
yeah, bikes won't be cheaper in the tenderloin than Fresno. the Tenderloin is very hipster friendly.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2013, 12:16:08 AM »
yeah, bikes won't be cheaper in the tenderloin than Fresno. the Tenderloin is very hipster friendly.

well try the next neighborhood down, if the tenderloin is already gentrified.  you don't need to find cheaper than fresno, more selection than fresno at the same price.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
San Francisco things
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2013, 12:36:53 AM »
Gentrified Tenderloin would be a solid local band name.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2013, 12:38:17 AM »

well try the next neighborhood down, if the tenderloin is already gentrified.  you don't need to find cheaper than fresno, more selection than fresno at the same price.

LOL, there is no neighborhood down from the tenderloin anywhere

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »
So they want to keep part of SF kinda-sorta run down so lower income people have a place to live?

This is pretty much correct. But most of the complaining is from middle-income folks (like the types who can afford to go to music festivals) who don't like the new kinds of people and businesses coming in, our their expensive rent. It's really fascinating to watch as an outsider.

I love comments sections of gentrification articles (it sometimes provides decent insight into the debates):

http://www.sfbg.com/politics/2013/04/30/you-want-scary-weve-got-eviction-map

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »
those dumbasses should just go de-gentrify a neighborhood that used to be nice

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »
or better yet, if they have a problem with america, maybe they should take their asses back to wherever they came from in the first place.  this is america.  this isn't poorsville, north america.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
LOL at this comment.

In this scenario, it is the

In this scenario, it is the landlords who are the leeching parasites, living off of the hard work of those in the rental market. Always so entitled, yet contributing nothing, while they take advantage of their neighbors, the landed gentry feel almost like it is their birthright to always demand more from others. This is a bubble, it will contract, and rents will drop again, the vultures will know fear again.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »
I have no idea, but it's hard to imagine that too many low income people are being priced out because almost all are already long gone from SF.  It seems like it would be more like a second wave of gentrification with people who have made the choice to live there now getting priced out - perhaps even after contributing to the first wave of gentrification themselves.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »
I have no idea, but it's hard to imagine that too many low income people are being priced out because almost all are already long gone from SF.  It seems like it would be more like a second wave of gentrification with people who have made the choice to live there now getting priced out - perhaps even after contributing to the first wave of gentrification themselves.

I can't imagine a scenario where this isn't the case

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »

three current san francisco gentrification complainers walk into a bar. one is a porcupine that moved there from san diego to get away from his parents. one is a turtle that is living with his girlfriend after he dropped out of the los angeles art institute and the last is a beaver and former chef from oregon that got burnt out on the whole portland scene. the bartender looks up and says "what'll it be gentlemen?" "how about a taste of our own medicine" the beaver sheepishly replies. "never heard of it" says the bartender "is that a liquor or something?"

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
or better yet, if they have a problem with america, maybe they should take their asses back to wherever they came from in the first place.  this is america.  this isn't poorsville, north america.

Yes. My favorite part is the outrage over people being denied the goddamn right to live in San Francisco.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »
butthurt over realtors renaming neighborhoods:

http://sfist.com/2013/05/03/north_of_nopa_now_a_thing.php

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »
San Franciscans (or people who live in San Fran) really have a lot in common with the tucks in Kansas when you think about it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »
San Franciscans (or people who live in San Fran) really have a lot in common with the tucks in Kansas when you think about it.

YES.

EXAMPLE - FIGHTING A BIKE LANE BECAUSE IT TAKES AWAY PARKING SPOTS:

http://sfist.com/2013/05/02/polk_street_parking_evangelists_may.php

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2013, 04:37:02 PM »

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
Whining about people calling it "San Fran"
People on bikes carrying their dogs in a backpack after work

I've been to San Francisco several times and once while there referred to the city as "Frisco," which I had seen in the media somewhere. I thought the local to whom I was speaking was going to kill me. Since then, I never say "Frisco" in San Francisco.

Oh, yeah. That too. :lol:

Exact thing happened to me except with my friend who lives there. Told me locals only refer to it as "The City."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
Homeless person soccer tournament, featuring homeless soccer teams from around the country.

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2013/05/14/city-to-host-soccer-tournament-to-help-homeless/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »
rusty, I know a couple emaw san franciscans that you may have hung out with at some point at grant and green

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
rusty, I know a couple emaw san franciscans that you may have hung out with at some point at grant and green

I know them, too! Or at least one of them. He looks like Father John Misty.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2013, 01:43:51 PM »
Homeless person soccer tournament, featuring homeless soccer teams from around the country.

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2013/05/14/city-to-host-soccer-tournament-to-help-homeless/

Great documentary on homeless soccer called "Kickin' it" or something.

Also, saw my first mustache car in Denver.  GF was shocked and I told her to just wait til we get to "Frisco"

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
:lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
vandalizing locally HQ'ed seller of locally manufactured clothes, calling them "out of towners".

http://uptownalmanac.com/2013/05/betabrand-already-vandalized

http://uptownalmanac.com/2013/03/betabrand-opening-massive-retail-shop-valencia