Author Topic: San Francisco things  (Read 149501 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #1227 on: November 17, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »
Get on Amazon. It’s evil, I know, but they deliver overnight.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 17, 2018, 03:23:17 PM »
Get on Amazon. It’s evil, I know, but they deliver overnight.
LOL idiots

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: November 21, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »
Listening to (conservative) A.M. radio this morning, and all the old farts were calling in to complain about how eScooters are dangerous and killing people right and left. Yes, this is also the "guns don't kill people"/personal responsibility crowd. Quite the pickle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 30, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »
Spotted on Instagram

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: December 03, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »
You know how dog-friendly offices are all the rage in SF? I just saw a woman who works in an architecture firm next door walk into her office carrying a rabbit.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: December 27, 2018, 06:06:26 PM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 28, 2018, 12:04:34 AM »

You got an alert for that? Like, duh.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: December 31, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 31, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 07, 2019, 10:03:02 AM »
First, I didn't know there was a Zuckerberg hospital.
Second, WTF:

it doesn’t participate in the networks of any private health insurers

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/1082280263785295872

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: January 07, 2019, 10:37:10 AM »
cross post from travel thread, but Golden Gate Park is a gem.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: January 15, 2019, 01:31:14 PM »
I'm eating sushi at a place on Kansas street in potrero hill. This neighborhood looks like how the movies show SF

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: January 15, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »
I'm eating sushi at a place on Kansas street in potrero hill. This neighborhood looks like how the movies show SF

WTF man

Portrero is a very "locals only" neighborhood in that there's really no reason for anyone to go there unless there's a show at Bottom of the Hill (rare, because that place kind of sucks)

Thee Parkside and Connecticut Yankee are good bars close by (unless Parkside has a show)

Also I think Hayes Valley or Lower Haight are more stereotypical SF movie ish but that's probably just because I go there more often

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: January 15, 2019, 09:17:14 PM »

WTF man

Portrero is a very "locals only" neighborhood in that there's really no reason for anyone to go there unless there's a show at Bottom of the Hill (rare, because that place kind of sucks)

Thee Parkside and Connecticut Yankee are good bars close by (unless Parkside has a show)

Also I think Hayes Valley or Lower Haight are more stereotypical SF movie ish but that's probably just because I go there more often

I walked all over the place in potrero and yeah it seemed like everyone knew one another.
I'm only in town for like 36 hrs and staying in palo alto and it's gross.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: January 15, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »

WTF man

I walked all over the place in potrero and yeah it seemed like everyone knew one another.

That's a great thing to do but potentially problematic if you take a route that's too hilly. PA has nice ridiculously expensive homes but not a whole lot interesting going on

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 15, 2019, 09:47:30 PM »

WTF man

That's a great thing to do but potentially problematic if you take a route that's too hilly. PA has nice ridiculously expensive homes but not a whole lot interesting going on

Remember:

https://twitter.com/_jillruth/status/1079834334738214912

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 18, 2019, 12:47:57 PM »

WTF man

i bought some boots on haight street! also had a beer at some bar near alamo square called fly.
my biggest surprise by far was how much free parking there is everywhere, like wtf

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: January 18, 2019, 02:37:48 PM »

WTF man

i bought some boots on haight street! also had a beer at some bar near alamo square called fly.
my biggest surprise by far was how much free parking there is everywhere, like wtf
Everyone that lives in the city has a car. Literally everyone

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 18, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »
When you wander into Manny’s at 16th and Valencia, everything is chill. It’s a big space. And it’s crowded. People are working on projects, sipping $1.75 cups of coffee, or reading the literature they can purchase in-house from an adjunct of Dog-Eared Books located in the store (curated titles from Franz Fanon, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Howard Zinn and many others for sale).

This space feels casual and accessible. That’s the idea. Owner Manny Yekutiel, in fact, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with United to Save the Mission, a coalition of more than a dozen neighborhood nonprofits and activist groups, to ensure the “community” is copacetic with his “community space.”

The Mission anti-gentrification activists wanted a “bicultural, bilingual environment for Mission families” with bilingual signage here. And that happened. They wanted Yekutiel to hire bilingual staff that “reflects the availability of qualified applicants in the local community,” and the staff here is now heavily composed of local people of color (many are also LGBTQ, like Yekutiel). United to Save the Mission called for “moderate price points” — and not only is the coffee a buck seventy-five, but Tecate runs you two bucks and a meal starts at six. The food here, in fact, is prepared on-site by Farming Hope, a nonprofit employing homeless, formerly incarcerated, and low-income community members — and they earn all the food revenue. 

“Boycott Manny’s and its ‘woke-washing’ of the Mission,” blared an email sent Dec. 5 to media outlets by “The Lucy Parsons Project,” a self-described “radical black queer direct action group fighting anti-blackness in the Bay Area.”

“Manny’s as a gentrifying wine-bar, cafe and fake ‘social justice’ space in the Mission District, will only accelerate the raising of rents and the displacement of Black, Latinx, disabled and trans/queer people in the Mission,” the letter continued. “Additionally, the proprietor of Manny’s, Emmanuel Yekutiel, has unequivocally espoused racist, Zionist, pro-Israel ideals that we will not tolerate or accept in our community. … We will not tolerate gentrifiers and Zionists attempts at invading and destroying our community through ‘woke-washing’!!”

https://missionlocal.org/2019/01/how-many-hoops-must-manny-yekutiel-jump-through-before-hes-deemed-worthy-to-do-business-in-the-mission/

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: February 08, 2019, 09:28:36 PM »

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 03, 2019, 12:02:02 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 12, 2019, 12:21:57 AM »
https://twitter.com/davegoldblatt/status/1105251004885291008

Also:

https://twitter.com/drlesko/status/1105335313751105536

*note, I'm pretty sure programmers at my company microdose LSD while they code