Author Topic: San Francisco things  (Read 149700 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco things
« Reply #375 on: December 11, 2013, 12:44:20 PM »
I was really looking forward to my trip to SF next month.  Planned on meeting mc for a beer but now my meetings have been changed to Boston. Boston, in January. Great.   :sdeek:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 11, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
http://valleywag.gawker.com/happy-holidays-startup-ceo-complains-sf-is-full-of-hum-1481067192

It's like, both sides are complete idiots.

I was really looking forward to my trip to SF next month.  Planned on meeting mc for a beer but now my meetings have been changed to Boston. Boston, in January. Great.   :sdeek:

:frown: It's been pretty cold here for a week or so. Had to break out a scarf.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 11, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »

Oh man. That's tough.

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 11, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »

Oh man. That's tough.

Saw that. Have had to wear jeans and coats for like the past week and a half. Supposed to be tomorrow before we get back to sunny and 50s.  :shakesfist:
Fly, Eddie. Fly.

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 12, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »

car mustache?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 12, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
atlanta's panhandlers are much more agressive and much better dressed

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 12, 2013, 11:05:08 PM »
http://valleywag.gawker.com/happy-holidays-startup-ceo-complains-sf-is-full-of-hum-1481067192

It's like, both sides are complete idiots.

which part of what he said do you disagree with?

his presentation was incredibly stupid given how much people hate techies here. It's almost like he's a plant like that dopey fake google employee.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 11, 2014, 04:59:07 PM »
Oakland fifth birthday party favor?

A plant.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 11, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »
Oakland fifth birthday party favor?

A plant.

Ha that's great. soak up some co2, kids.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 11, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 11, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »
mods plz change name to sanfrancat

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 13, 2014, 07:59:03 AM »
tonight's episode of independent lens on pbs is about Cal Berkeley, will be an interesting topic for sure

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 14, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 14, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »
the story of $4 toast:

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/toast-story-latest-artisanal-food-craze-72676/

I mean, what?

The other main players on Trouble’s menu are coffee, young Thai coconuts served with a straw and a spoon for digging out the meat, and shots of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice called “Yoko.” It’s a strange lineup, but each item has specific meaning to Carrelli. Toast, she says, represents comfort. Coffee represents speed and communication. And coconuts represent survival—because it’s possible, Carrelli says, to survive on coconuts provided you also have a source of vitamin C. Hence the Yoko. (Carrelli tested this theory by living mainly on coconuts and grapefruit juice for three years, “unless someone took me out to dinner.”)

I do like how San Franian's(did I just invent this term?!?) know how super weird they are and embrace it.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 14, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »
Charge $4 for toast. Serve nothing but toast, coconuts and coffee. Be a dick to customers and provide no inside or outside seating....lines out the door

In some ways, the shop seemed to make itself downright difficult to like: It serves no decaf, no non-fat milk, no large drinks, and no espressos to go. On Yelp, several reviewers report having been scolded by baristas for trying to take pictures inside the shop with their phones. (“I better not see that up on Instagram!” one reportedly shouted.)

Nevertheless, most people really seem to love Trouble. On my second visit to the shop, there was a steady line of customers out the door. After receiving their orders, they clustered outside to drink their coffees and eat their toast. With no tables and chairs to allow them to pair off, they looked more like neighbors at a block party than customers at a cafe?. And perhaps most remarkably for San Francisco, none of them had their phones out.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 14, 2014, 07:29:08 PM »
Everyone needs to read that article, so many gems.

The menu also features a go-for-broke option called “Build Your Own Damn House,” which consists of a coffee, a coconut, and a piece of cinnamon toast.

At first, Carrelli explained Trouble as a kind of sociological experiment in engineering spontaneous communication between strangers. She even conducted field research, she says, before opening the shop. “I did a study in New York and San Francisco, standing on the street holding a sandwich, saying hello to people. No one would talk to me. But if I stayed at that same street corner and I was holding a coconut? People would engage,” she said. “I wrote down exactly how many people talked to me.”

The answer was easy: she was good at making coffee and good with people. So Glen told her it was time she opened a checking account. He told her to go to city hall and ask if they had information on starting a small business. And she followed his instructions.

With $1,000 borrowed from friends, Carrelli opened Trouble in 2007 in a smelly, cramped, former dog grooming business, on a bleak commercial stretch. She renovated the space pretty much entirely with found materials, and with labor and advice that was bartered for, cajoled, and requested from her community of acquaintances.

A few weeks ago, I went back to Trouble because I hadn’t yet built my own damn house. When my coconut came, the next guy at the bar shot me a sideways glance. Sitting there with a slice of toast and a large tropical fruit, I felt momentarily self-conscious. Then the guy said to the barista, “Hey, can I get a coconut too?” and the two of us struck up a conversation.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 14, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
the story of $4 toast:

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/toast-story-latest-artisanal-food-craze-72676/

I mean, what?

The other main players on Trouble’s menu are coffee, young Thai coconuts served with a straw and a spoon for digging out the meat, and shots of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice called “Yoko.” It’s a strange lineup, but each item has specific meaning to Carrelli. Toast, she says, represents comfort. Coffee represents speed and communication. And coconuts represent survival—because it’s possible, Carrelli says, to survive on coconuts provided you also have a source of vitamin C. Hence the Yoko. (Carrelli tested this theory by living mainly on coconuts and grapefruit juice for three years, “unless someone took me out to dinner.”)

I do like how San Franian's(did I just invent this term?!?) know how super weird they are and embrace it.
i thought of your dad when I read that. Also, I bet she is an exhausting friend

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 15, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »

I wonder if using that or Friscoian would piss a resident off more? 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 15, 2014, 11:38:59 AM »

they are intentionally weird to get attention. very few of them are actually weird. you will find a much higher percentage of actual weird people in the midwest.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 15, 2014, 11:39:17 AM »
i thought of your dad when I read that. Also, I bet she is an exhausting friend
[/quote]spot on and I really liked this line from the story
But Carrelli can’t rely on such a small set of intimates. Strong ties have a history of failing her, of buckling under the weight of her illness. So she has adapted by forming as many relationships—as many weak ties—as she possibly can. And webs of weak ties are what allow ideas to spread.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »

they are intentionally weird to get attention. very few of them are actually weird. you will find a much higher percentage of actual weird people in the midwest.

can confirm. lots of really boring people who think their zip code makes them interesting. BUT OMG A TAQUERIA NEXT TO A SUSHI PLACE HOW QUAINT AND UNIQUE