Author Topic: The Animal, now an NCAA executive  (Read 4443 times)

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
The Animal, now an NCAA executive
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
Hadn't seen this mentioned yet.

Kansas State University President Kirk Schulz, who has served on the NCAA Board of Directors since July, has been unanimously appointed to the NCAA Executive Committee, President Mark Emmert has announced.

The Executive Committee is the highest governance body in the NCAA and is composed of institutional chief executive officers that oversee Association-wide issues. The committee is charged with ensuring that each division operates consistently with the basic purposes, fundamental policies and general principles of the Association.

http://www.kstatesports.com/genrel/013013aaa.html

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Harry Doyle

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Animal, now an NCAA executive
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »
Great job, skyluke.

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »
Damn.

Offline detch23

• Fan
  • My Dire Wolf's name is Willie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »
More like skylukewalker

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Kansas State's president, Tim Weiser, earned a little more than $95,000 from the 1992 Copper Bowl.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
I change shapes just to hide in this place
But I'm still, I'm still an animal

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »
:thumbs:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »

Man, that's great.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 01:12:50 PM »
So, i can't find the first gE.c use of "animal". who coined that absolutely perfect name for him?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
I really hope that now that we are untouchable in the eyes of the NCAA, we just stop with all compliance bullshit and start cheating our asses off in earnest.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
So, i can't find the first gE.c use of "animal". who coined that absolutely perfect name for him?

sounds like a daris.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »
Yeah, I think that's accurate sys

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 02:27:56 PM »
Also I believe it is The Animal.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »
rick daris, what was the context of the original The Animal drop? i want to re-live the magic

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »
rick daris, what was the context of the original The Animal drop? i want to re-live the magic

I'm almost 100% it's related to this photo.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »

I'm almost 100% it's related to this photo.

Fits.  Now merge this rough rider with the grow your hair out awkward phase thread.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »
It was either clams or daris I think.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 09:43:18 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24489339/k-state-president-open-up-governance-dialogue-to-media

Here's a switch in the usually closed-door NCAA process: A prominent member of the steering committee directing governance restructuring says such meetings should be open to the media.

"I will say this very freely. I have talked to the NCAA staff ... we have to acknowledge the sports media world has changed dramatically from 10 years ago," Kansas State president Kirk Schulz said. "I want leading sports journalists in the room during this kind of stuff."

Schulz is one of the seven members of the Division I Steering Committee charged with reconfiguring how the NCAA does business. He has been the Kansas State CEO since 2009.

The committee is expected to next meet by conference call this week and should have a new model ready for consideration by the membership next month. Restructuring could be completed by August.

But to have media in the room monitoring every move? The idea seemed to work January at the NCAA Convention. Media were invited to attend a two-day governance dialogue.

The decision to open further meetings to the media would have to be made by the NCAA board of directors, according to an NCAA spokesman. The governance restructuring discussion is expected to be a seminal moment in NCAA history.

"If we do the old style, which is closed, and put out some sort of press release at the end," Schulz said, "people have already been on Twitter for five hours talking about the same sort of thing."

Schulz added that it would help if the media understood first-hand how the NCAA gets to a new governance model. The membership is working hurriedly to adjust with the Big 5 conferences (Pac-12, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, SEC) demanding more autonomy in how the NCAA operates.

The voting structure is definitely expected to change with those BCS schools having more power.

"Everybody recognizes at the end of the day we gotta have each other," Schulz said. "But we don't have to let the University of Texas-Corpus Christi decide what the University of Texas is going to do. We have way too much of that kind of thing going on."

The large conferences want that autonomy so they aren't bogged down by NCAA bureaucracy. There has been a wide-ranging discussion about student-athlete welfare. That could mean everything from schools being able to provide three meals a day at training table to a cost-of-attendance stipend.

On the media issue, Schulz added: "If somebody says [to media], 'Here's a little bit of constraint. It doesn't mean you can't write a story but don't identify the people.' OK, I can live with that but I'll [as a media member] be there for eight hours because I want to hear the deliberations.

"Some of the NCAA communications members I've talked with say, 'Kirk keep preaching it because we know that's what we've got to do.' "

In its overview for governance redesign the NCAA itself describes the process as encouraging, "open, transparent and interactive dialogue."

In an August 2013, the NCAA board decided to move forward with governance restructuring. Board chairman Nathan Hatch, president of Wake Forest, appointed that steering committee.

In addition to Schulz and Hatch, the other members are Gene Block, UCLA chancellor; Rita Cheng, SIU-Carbondale; Michael Drake, chancellor, Cal-Irvine; David Leebron, president, Rice and Harris Pastides, president, South Carolina.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
:lol:

I met Eric Stonestreet last November when we were lucky enough to hobnob with the cast of the sitcom, Modern Family, on their set in LA. I asked him about Kansas State and his love affair with his alma mater. “Man, there’s just something in the water out there in Manhattan that just makes you love that place,” he said. He then told me a great story about shooting a TV commercial last football season where the set had logos of a number of college teams but no K-State gear. It seems K-State had not approved the use of their logo for the shoot. Stonestreet immediately got out his cell phone and first called John Currie, KSU’s AD, but was not happy with Currie’s passive response. He then phoned Kirk Schulz, KSU’s president. Schulz got the paperwork signed, the K-State logo was added to the shoot and Stonestreet starred in the commercial. EMAW!

http://www.greghallkc.com/index.php/otc-bill-self-kietzman-continue-to-differ-on-embiids-injury-elijah-johnson-is-shaka-real/

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 08:32:43 AM »
Why can't people be more the Animal? #BeLessTea

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
you guys, i'm not gE'ing here, we have a rock star president. it feels really good.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »
Schulz is a stud.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
you guys, i'm not gE'ing here, we have a rock star president. it feels really good.
yeah, good read. the animal keeps being a stud boss and he might not be here that much longer :(

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »
I was thinking the other day about how The Animal graduated from Virginia Tech, worked at Mississippi State, and is now (obviously) at K-State. Those are the only three schools that don't have a team National Championship. So I guess we shouldn't plan on winning one while he's here.