Author Topic: great previews  (Read 2253 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
great previews
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:03:53 AM »
both the syracuse-butler game and the kstate game.  best in the biz.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1025

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: great previews
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:10:42 AM »
Whether Howard plays 15 minutes or 30, the Butler offense will rely on a rigid avoidance of taking challenged mid-range shots. In two tournament games, just 15 of Butler’s 100 field goal attempts have been long two-pointers. (That national average over the course of the season is around 33 percent.)

I'd be curious what K-State's percentage is, too.  It seems like we do a pretty good job of avoiding the worthless mid-range game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:12:18 AM »
The Musketeers have two outstanding offensive rebounders in Jason Love and Jamel McLean, but Chris Mack assigns the other three players on the floor to the Transition Prevention Task Force,

heh

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:19:42 AM »
I'd be curious what K-State's percentage is, too.  It seems like we do a pretty good job of avoiding the worthless mid-range game.

me too.  the ksu midrange game consists of clemente runners and kelly/samuels/sutton jumpers.  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:51:57 AM by mcmwcat »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:34:49 AM »
That preview was kinda  :ohno:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »

There is every reason to respect X, but no reason to fear them.  They are a solid basketball team; in the upcoming podcast I compare them to a slighly more physical, faster paced version of Oklahoma State.  They have very similar pieces to that team, maybe slightly more depth/talent, but not much.  If for whatever reason Pullen and Clemente aren't hitting shots, we could certainly lose this game, but if we come to play with our JYC swagger and hit shots at a reasonable rate, I see no reason why the Cats shouldn't advance in this one.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:50:24 AM »
I'd be curious what K-State's percentage is, too.  It seems like we do a pretty good job of avoiding the worthless mid-range game.

me too.  the ksu midrange game consists of clemente runners and kelly/samuels/sutton jumpers. 

depending how you define a mid range j, i'd almost guess kstate shoots a decently high %.  not ttech high, but not notably low.  the clemente runners, as mentioned.  and depending on the defense, kelly (and judge if in) take a ton of mid range js.  sutton takes a few pullup js too, but not a ton and a fair bit closer in.

i don't mind any of those though.  they're good shots.  the sutton/samuels long 2s suck.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 08:58:23 AM »
Between the two, Jamar has at least shown he can knock em down a little. Dom is back to his normal :ohno: self again when he shoots jumpers. Is there any chance we can get Sutton on anti-anxiety medication anytime soon?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 09:00:44 AM »
Between the two, Jamar has at least shown he can knock em down a little. Dom is back to his normal :ohno: self again when he shoots jumpers. Is there any chance we can get Sutton on anti-anxiety medication anytime soon?

Dom had 1.5 games this season where he wasn't :ohno: shooting the ball, makes no difference.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 09:04:50 AM »
Jamar had 3 very good looks from 3 versus BYU, just didn't knock them down.  No reason to believe that he will repeat that this week and he'll have some opportunities.  Would be great to see him go 2-4 from 3 or soemthing against X.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
I don't consider Clemente runners to be mid-range j's.  Forgot about Judge and Kelly's fairly frequent long 2's, but they rarely combine for more than 1 or 2 a game from outside the paint.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 09:12:54 AM »
Between the two, Jamar has at least shown he can knock em down a little. Dom is back to his normal :ohno: self again when he shoots jumpers.

i love it when sutton shoots 3s.  just not long 2s.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 09:16:42 AM »

If for whatever reason Pullen and Clemente aren't hitting shots, we could certainly lose this game, but if we come to play with our JYC swagger and hit shots at a reasonable rate, I see no reason why the Cats shouldn't advance in this one.

i'm going on record as saying that our bigs are going to be just as/if not more important than pullen & clemente. we need to outquick their bigs and get them into foul trouble and get to the line and do it early. hopefully jamar can get involved early down low and do what he does best. draw fouls. should be a big game for him. it also needs to be said that i know next to nothing about bball.  :dunno:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »

If for whatever reason Pullen and Clemente aren't hitting shots, we could certainly lose this game, but if we come to play with our JYC swagger and hit shots at a reasonable rate, I see no reason why the Cats shouldn't advance in this one.

i'm going on record as saying that our bigs are going to be just as/if not more important than pullen & clemente. we need to outquick their bigs and get them into foul trouble and get to the line and do it early. hopefully jamar can get involved early down low and do what he does best. draw fouls. should be a big game for him. it also needs to be said that i know next to nothing about bball.  :dunno:

Don't mean to say our bigs won't be important, but I think we go as far as Jake and Denis take us in this thing.  Granted, there's a shot we could get into a true JYC type of game like UT or MU and rely on defense and our bigs, but I think the chances of that are not very high.

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:05 AM »
Xavier will crap their pants when they see LOU COLON back for us! :lol: Seriously though, Jamar and Curtis will have work to do. We got Love in foul trouble early in Manhattan and their other stupid big (white guy) had a good game until he came unglued and frustrated himself out of it. May not be like that again. However, Jake and Denis had a  terrible perimeter shooting night. Especially Denis. Probably won't be that way again either. Kelly had 15 and 9, Jake ONLY scored 16 and was cold. Crawford and Redford carried Xavier that night, 16 a piece, which is why we won big. I know that Xavier has played well in the tourny, but so have we. I see the end result of this game being similar to the last one.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »
Hey, wake up people.

Remember when Pullen went off early in the year and we were all  :drool:?

Yeah, well, he just had a CAREER HIGH 34 points last game, and was hot against UNT too. This is the best he's played all season.

Jake/Denis are our ticket to the Elite 8, and they are both on playing out of their minds. We don't have any reason to believe that they will shoot poorly and we will struggle against Xavier.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
Jake/Denis are our ticket to the Elite 8, and they are both on playing out of their minds. We don't have any reason to believe that they will shoot poorly and we will struggle against Xavier.

While I tend to agree, X will be the best perimeter defense we've seen in the tournament and they actually have one of the best perimeter defenses in the country statistically.  Only one of a handful of teams that hold opponents under 30% from 3.   That said, there are a bunch of teams from the A-10 that rank fairly high in this category, so it could just be the A-10 is a bad shooting conference too.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 10:42:48 AM »
This is a HBBIQgasm in here, damn fellas.