Author Topic: 2013 QB Competition: Sams vs. Waters  (Read 268994 times)

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 QB Competition: Sams vs. Waters
« Reply #2500 on: April 08, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »
I guess I just assume he can catch, but has anyone seen how good his hands are? Seem to remember him dropping the football a lot last year. . . could be why he isn't higher on the depth chart?

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: April 08, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
I guess I just assume he can catch, but has anyone seen how good his hands are? Seem to remember him dropping the football a lot last year. . . could be why he isn't higher on the depth chart?

maybe he's not higher on the depth chart because he's a rough ridin' QB, not a WR, and we should put him back under center

Offline UCHADBRO

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: April 08, 2014, 02:03:07 PM »
Honestly I think Sams is just there because it's the beginning of Spring practices. I'd imagine Snyder is going to make him prove himself before he moves him up. Realistically I could see Sams as our #4 WR but no higher than #3. I'm no expert though. :th_twocents:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »
Honestly I think Sams is just there because it's the beginning of Spring practices. I'd imagine Snyder is going to make him prove himself before he moves him up. Realistically I could see Sams as our #4 WR but no higher than #3. I'm no expert though. :th_twocents:

I completely agree with all of this.

Offline EMAWforever

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: April 08, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
No offense to Curry as he is great possession type receiver, but if he is front of Sams on the field I would have to question our WR coaching.  To have that kind of athleticism of Sams ought to be a dream for a WR coach and you would do everything including eating and sleeping with Sams until he gets the concepts of being a receiver.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: April 08, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
yeah, if there's a position coach on the hotseat, it's got to be the wr coach.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MouseRat

• Mall Santa/Amateur Surgeon
  • Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
  • Pound £*#%ing sand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: April 08, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »
Sams is new to the position.  While he is a great athlete it would be ridiculous to assume that he will automatically sew up one of the top 3 slots at WR in his first week.  There are guys who have been playing that position now for a long time.  They have had more experience and played more snaps.  They know the plays and they know the routes and are probably better downfield blockers too.  It's going to take some time for Sams to adjust.  However, he has all summer to workout and perfect his skills at the WR position.  I'm willing to give Andre Coleman the benefit of a doubt on this one.
I’ve started to kind of hate people, and it’s not because I have anything against them. It’s just, I enjoy it. It’s recreation.
-Louis C.K.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
Sams has stiff hips and wasn't really a 4.3 guy last year at least.  He hasn't played WR in like 3 or 4 years.  I have a hard time believing he'll get snaps.  It's a waste of talent.

Offline EMAWforever

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: April 09, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »
Can you imagine the amount of orgasms in the stadium that might happen if Sams lines up with Lockett for the opening Kickoff!

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: April 09, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
 :horrorsurprise:  What about the opponent sideline reaction.

Offline EMAWforever

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: April 09, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »
:horrorsurprise:  What about the opponent sideline reaction.
Half of the team and most of the coaches would have to run to the locker room to change their britches.  They may just forfeit at that point.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: April 09, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »
Honestly Sams ability is not well suited for blocking or special teams.  It is suited well for finding holes in a defense's strategy.  But, when you can't trust him to throw a pass and it is obvious he will run those holes disappear. 

That being said. . .Sams is a stud, and Bill has a history of converting really talented quarterbacks into other positions.  Have some faith people!  :emawkid:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: April 09, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »
if you can't trust daniel to pass, i'm not sure why you trust waters

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: April 09, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »

I think it is entirely his ability to read the defense and make adjustments.  It was noted last year heading in to the season that Sams was having trouble picking out disguised coverages which became apparent with a lot of his costly interceptions.  On the other side I was impressed by how active Waters was at the line after seeing what the defense was set up as.  Stud athleticism be damned, I prefer my quarterback to have high FBIQ.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: April 09, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
ah, so you like your overthrows and interceptions to be thrown by a white guy.  not that this is a surprise

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: April 09, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »

I think it is entirely his ability to read the defense and make adjustments.  It was noted last year heading in to the season that Sams was having trouble picking out disguised coverages which became apparent with a lot of his costly interceptions.  On the other side I was impressed by how active Waters was at the line after seeing what the defense was set up as.  Stud athleticism be damned, I prefer my quarterback to have high FBIQ.

I thought the interceptions seemed to be more a product of trying to make something happen at the end of a game and forcing ill-advised throws. That seems to be a somewhat common mistake that first year QBs make. Jake had bad interceptions at the end of the NDSU and OU games, iirc.

Offline ksufan44

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: April 09, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
The last taste of Cats football we all had was Waters and TLBL torching Michigan. I love Sams, but he hasn't exactly won us any games at QB.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: April 09, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
The last taste of Cats football we all had was Waters and TLBL torching Michigan. I love Sams, but he hasn't exactly won us any games at QB.

TCU, tho.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: April 09, 2014, 04:27:51 PM »
ah, so you like your overthrows and interceptions to be thrown by a white guy.  not that this is a surprise

Let's say their interceptions were a wash.  You're ignoring the benefit I've seen of someone who has high FBIQ and I can trust to read an opposing defense and make adjustments. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: April 09, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »
I find it so weird that people are still arguing about Sams at QB.  It's over.  Sams lost.  Waters won.

Now, let's root for our QB Jake Waters and our WR Daniel Sams.  For crying out loud.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: April 09, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
I find it so weird that people are still arguing about Sams at QB.  It's over.  Sams lost.  Waters won.

Now, let's root for our QB Jake Waters and our WR Daniel Sams.  For crying out loud.

CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: April 10, 2014, 12:55:44 AM »
Waters improved a ton from the first game to last. Will be exciting to see how crazy good he'll be next year. His passes are fun to watch. He should do a trick shot video where he has to throw really far into basketball hoops.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: April 10, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »
Waters improved a ton from the first game to last. Will be exciting to see how crazy good he'll be next year. His passes are fun to watch. He should do a trick shot video where he has to throw really far into basketball hoops.

a more impressive trick shot from him would be throwing into the hands of receivers 10 yards away, one can only dream tho

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: April 10, 2014, 05:09:54 AM »

a more impressive trick shot from him would be throwing into the hands of receivers 10 yards away, one can only dream tho
agreed, I wouldn't want to play jake in a game of quarters tho. That skip game ridiculous

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: April 10, 2014, 05:27:15 AM »
Given how fast he improved comparative to other qbs on the roster, i think he will do just fine! Easier to get short passes down when you already throw deep better than most NFL starters, rather than trying to develop the long ball.

He's undoubtedly gonna put up big numbers, and could very well be in the Heisman race early on if we get by auburn. Him or lockett  :emawkid: