Author Topic: RIP Junior Seau  (Read 4884 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Junior Seau
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
its worse on young brains.

maybe dont start tackle football until college

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
Maybe soccer players should start wearing leather helmets.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
I would like to see a study on head trauma suffered by people who just play in high school and college. I would think that the people who hang up their cleats after just a few years of playing are in far better shape than those who make a career out of it. I really don't care as much about professional football and soccer going away as I would about amateur football and soccer.

Yeah.

As far as football goes, I wouldn't be surprised if we learned that college was worse than the pros given the new NFL work rules about how they can only hit something like 14 days out of the season during practice now, where college kids hit like crazy all the time. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »
I would like to see a study on head trauma suffered by people who just play in high school and college. I would think that the people who hang up their cleats after just a few years of playing are in far better shape than those who make a career out of it. I really don't care as much about professional football and soccer going away as I would about amateur football and soccer.

Yeah.

As far as football goes, I wouldn't be surprised if we learned that college was worse than the pros given the new NFL work rules about how they can only hit something like 14 days out of the season during practice now, where college kids hit like crazy all the time.

Seeing as how you have to play college ball to get to the pros, and these studies mostly pertain to long-term effects, I'm betting the pros still come out much worse. It would be interesting if somebody would analyze the brains of people who just played 4 years of high school ball. That would include a large percentage of the male population in the US, and you don't hear much about them getting brain damage. Maybe the solution is to limit lifetime exposure. Setting the retirement age at 27 might make some of these head injury statistics much easier to swallow.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: RIP Junior Seau
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »

Yeah.

Seeing as how you have to play college ball to get to the pros, and these studies mostly pertain to long-term effects, I'm betting the pros still come out much worse. It would be interesting if somebody would analyze the brains of people who just played 4 years of high school ball. That would include a large percentage of the male population in the US, and you don't hear much about them getting brain damage. Maybe the solution is to limit lifetime exposure. Setting the retirement age at 27 might make some of these head injury statistics much easier to swallow.

Except that, given the option of making millions of dollars playing pro football, very few players are going to be cool with mandatory retirement at 27. Will not happen.
:adios:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: RIP Junior Seau
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »

Yeah.

Except that, given the option of making millions of dollars playing pro football, very few players are going to be cool with mandatory retirement at 27. Will not happen.

Something needs to happen or the NFL will end up just going away completely.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »

Yeah.

There are far more ppl that play in college and don't go to the pros than do.  Study some of them.   :dunno:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
I doubt it. At this point players know the risks, and aren't exactly lining up to grab their retirement papers. Nobody is forcing them to keep playing. I guess it could die at the youth level first, but there will be enough studies saying that HS football isn't that bad a risk, and I don't see it happening. Look at the cigars thread and decide if you think college football is ever going away.
:adios:

Online joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
#teamflagfootball