Author Topic: Game of Thrones book discussion thread  (Read 52525 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
In my opinion, four is the absolute worst. It took me the longest to get through by far. I had to force myself to read it.

I haven't read 5 yet, but agree 4 is the worst. It's insane how little happens in 700+ pages.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »
And yes 3 is the best. crap gets real! and then it gets realer than real!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
The Cersei chapters were the best part of the 4th book, and that really says more about how slow the book was than how great the Cersei storyline was. The book was still better than a lot of fantasy books that I have read, though.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2013, 11:31:54 AM »
I thought that five was the best, but that's just one man's opinion. I think three didn't sit as well with me because of all the bad stuff that happened to the "good" guys.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »
This isn't even discussion.  This is just dumbasses posting their stupid opinions to themselves.

Discussion:

Which job would you want on the Wall if you had to serve?  I would definitely go with kitchen steward.  In the rear with the gear thankyouverymuch.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
This isn't even discussion.  This is just dumbasses posting their stupid opinions to themselves.

Discussion:

Which job would you want on the Wall if you had to serve?  I would definitely go with kitchen steward.  In the rear with the gear thankyouverymuch.

maester! you'd get to read all the time and make potions and crap!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2013, 11:38:36 AM »

Discussion:

The best part about being kitchen steward would be standing next to the oven all day. Good choice. Being the maester wouldn't be all that bad, either. Lots of respect, and you get to leave the arctic for a while to get trained.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2013, 11:39:01 AM »
I don't understand why John went to the wall, though. Like, bastards always get risen up to lordships. rough ridin' Ned Stark, what a putz.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »
I don't understand why John went to the wall, though. Like, bastards always get risen up to lordships. rough ridin' Ned Stark, what a putz.

Ned Stark=huge dumbass that got what he deserved imo. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »

Ned Stark=huge dumbass that got what he deserved imo. 

totally agree. He's probably the dumbest character I can remember, except maybe that one Tully.

Also, I want to gouge my eyes out anytime someone says "milk of the poppy" or there's a page or two devoted to what we're rough ridin' having for dinner.

But still the best (only?) series of books I've read!

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »
Most hated characters = Catelyn Stark (really pushed it way over the edge when her HBO actress was ugly) and Brienne (I wish I was a dude, raahhh!; whatevs, die already).  I also hated Rob for being possibly a bigger dumbass than Ned.  Both were just begging for it. 

Varys is my fav, but he's not PoV. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
Most hated characters = Catelyn Stark (really pushed it way over the edge when her HBO actress was ugly) and Brienne (I wish I was a dude, raahhh!; whatevs, die already).  I also hated Rob for being possibly a bigger dumbass than Ned.  Both were just begging for it. 

:confused:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2013, 12:07:18 PM »

It's subjective of course, but I'm personally not into a huge lumpy face.  No thanks.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »

Oh yeah, Rob, man, what a dipshit. I didn't mind Catelyn as much because she knew what a rough ridin' dumbass her son was being and *SPOILER!* she let Jaime go. I like seeing Jaime's evolution.

don't mind Brienne's issues with being ugly as much as I hate her obnoxious honor. She's almost as bad as Westeros village idiot Ned Stark.

I do like Varys, too. the whole secret passages and crap are pretty fascinating.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »
KK has it right with kitchen steward, you're inside and relatively warm for the majority of the day. Sure, as a maester or maester's steward you get to read and spend quite a bit of time inside, but mother eff those birds and their constant noise/shitting everywhere.

Also, I don't think the bastard's inheriting lordship thing started happening until the war of the three kings.

Sansa is my least favorite character at the moment, she sucks.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »

It's subjective of course, but I'm personally not into a huge lumpy face.  No thanks.

Isn't she like, noticeably slender? Huge lumpy face? I mean are we even talking about the same person?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »

Oh yeah, Rob, man, what a dipshit. I didn't mind Catelyn as much because she knew what a rough ridin' dumbass her son was being and *SPOILER!* she let Jaime go. I like seeing Jaime's evolution.

don't mind Brienne's issues with being ugly as much as I hate her obnoxious honor. She's almost as bad as Westeros village idiot Ned Stark.

I do like Varys, too. the whole secret passages and crap are pretty fascinating.

Yeah that's what I hate about Brienne as well.  Her motivations are so boring and pointless.  "I will live to serve this person, oop he died; okay for that person and this other person that hate each other, oop I'm conflicted."  woof

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »

Isn't she like, noticeably slender? Huge lumpy face? I mean are we even talking about the same person?

It has nothing to do with weight.  It's like someone filled a cloth sack with small potatoes and then painted a face on it.  I don't like the look.  It's big and unattractive is all. 

http://www.a-gc.com/fantasy-art-game-of-thrones-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tv-series-hbo-catelyn-stark-29227/

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
I enjoy reading about Brienne in the same way that I enjoy watching a train wreck. You just know that it's not going to end well at all.

Favorite characters:
Tyrion
Arya
Jon Snow
Jaime
The Hound
Cersei
Walder Frey

Least favorite:
Stannis
Asha
Aeron Greyjoy
Robb
Bran
Lysa

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
The whiny little Lord Robert Arryn annoys me any time he shows up.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »

Catelyn is beautiful in comparison to her sister, Lysa.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »
Yeah I guess I am just more Irish than Mr Bread  :dunno:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »

Herpes is a breeze in comparison to AIDS.  I don't want either of them. :dunno:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2013, 02:36:27 PM »

Herpes is a breeze in comparison to AIDS.  I don't want either of them. :dunno:

Maybe that's why Ned cheated on her - if that is even what really happened, not so sure of that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »
I think they should have made this lady from deadwood Catelyn Stark: