Author Topic: 2nd worst town in Kansas  (Read 103874 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2012, 09:00:45 AM »
Home of Speedboat Champion just surged on to the small kansas towns fanningbrag leader board.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #351 on: December 22, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »

Colwich does not belong in this discussion. If you want a candidate for worst town in Western Sedgwick County, go with Garden Plain.

Garden Plain has the best small town 4th of July parade in the state, maybe even the entire country.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 25, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
What a depressing thread.  Thought there'd be a winner (loser?) by page 15.

If you're from, still know people in, are god forbid still yourself are in one of these crap towns, you should let me know, so that when I'm trying to locate people I've sued or want to sue that come from these places, I can use you to skip trace them.  steve dave is combing Meade for one of these folks as we speak.  Gooch and I went undercover in a bar that, while in Wichita, belonged in a worst down in KS candidate on Sunday.

Do I have any Manter, KS insiders?

Offline the_ugly_clown

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 25, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »

If you're from, still know people in, are god forbid still yourself are in one of these crap towns, you should let me know, so that when I'm trying to locate people I've sued or want to sue that come from these places, I can use you to skip trace them.  steve dave is combing Meade for one of these folks as we speak.  Gooch and I went undercover in a bar that, while in Wichita, belonged in a worst down in KS candidate on Sunday.

Driven thru there many times heading out to the great mountains of Colorado. Only thing I can tell you is they have a sign of some famous rodeo/bullrider guy that is/was from there.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 25, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »

Driven thru there many times heading out to the great mountains of Colorado. Only thing I can tell you is they have a sign of some famous rodeo/bullrider guy that is/was from there.

The guy I'm trying to locate isn't a rodeo/bullrider guy.  When are you passing back through?  Maybe you can stop in town and ask around?

Offline the_ugly_clown

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 25, 2012, 07:52:01 PM »

The guy I'm trying to locate isn't a rodeo/bullrider guy.  When are you passing back through?  Maybe you can stop in town and ask around?

Earliest chance would be June, your next option is October.

PS the truck stop/gas station in Johnson City is a must stop, nothing till the mountains. Also what looks like an enjoyable golf course. Should Johnson City be in the 2nd best town thread??

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 26, 2012, 08:42:13 AM »

The "Great Flood" happened between my frosh and soph years, may have actually helped the city not be so shitty.

Yes, the flood wiped out 1/3 of the town, but it was the shittiest part of town so it increased the average home value in town. Also because of the oil, the refinery paid the homeowners 110% of the pre-flood value of the homes that had oil damage - so those people actually ended up better off after the flood.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #357 on: December 26, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »

The "Great Flood" happened between my frosh and soph years, may have actually helped the city not be so shitty.

Yes, the flood wiped out 1/3 of the town, but it was the shittiest part of town so it increased the average home value in town. Also because of the oil, the refinery paid the homeowners 110% of the pre-flood value of the homes that had oil damage - so those people actually ended up better off after the flood.

Better off = able to buy cigarettes on the kansas side during the week until the Sunday south coffeyville run to buy beer through the drive thru window of a gas station.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 26, 2012, 11:11:18 AM »
Colwich/Andale (same diff) definitely get knocked down a peg for having like 3 last names between the two towns.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 26, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »

Better off = able to buy cigarettes on the kansas side during the week until the Sunday south coffeyville run to buy beer through the drive thru window of a gas station.

No, better off meaning they took their 110% and their super low interest rate FEMA loan and moved to a slightly less shitty town in Kansas.

Offline the_ugly_clown

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 26, 2012, 11:28:43 AM »
Colwich/Andale (same diff) definitely get knocked down a peg for having like 3 last names between the two towns.

Dont leave St Marks off that list.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 26, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »

Dont leave St Marks off that list.

and St. Joe Crusaders.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 26, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »
Emporia, I'd say.

I hate Emporia with every fiber of my being.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 26, 2012, 08:26:03 PM »
Let's call this thing now.

Garden City, 2nd worst city in KS.

Offline Reboulet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 26, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »
I looked back at the discussion and here is how I'd divide the races. SEK stands alone, clearly, and the rest are separated by population. I felt it was important to separate suburbs from stand-alone towns, and I added Haysville because I felt south Wichita suburbs were underrepresented. The order within each division is my personal rankings; where my experience was limited I went with the most persuasive board opinion.

SEK Division
Galena 3,085
Girard 2,789
Baxter Springs 4,238
Chetopa 1,125
Parsons 10,500

"Big" City Division
Topeka 233,870
KCK 145,786

Less Big Division
Leavenworth 35,251
Junction City 23,353
Liberal 20,525
Emporia 24,916
Garden City 26,658
Dodge City 27,340
Hutchinson 42,080

Suburb Division
Lansing 11,265
Haysville 10,826

Mid Size Division
El Dorado 13,021
Ark City 12,415

Small Town Division
Horton (pop 1,776)
Larned (pop 4,054)
St Mary's (pop 2,627)
Osawatomie (pop 4,447)
Oakley (pop 2,045)
Wellsville (pop 1,857)

Village Division
Westmoreland (pop 778)
Nickerson (pop 1,070)
Burlingame (pop 934)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #365 on: December 26, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
Awful list but thanks for the effort

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 26, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »
I looked back at the discussion and here is how I'd divide the races. SEK stands alone, clearly, and the rest are separated by population. I felt it was important to separate suburbs from stand-alone towns, and I added Haysville because I felt south Wichita suburbs were underrepresented. The order within each division is my personal rankings; where my experience was limited I went with the most persuasive board opinion.

SEK Division
Galena 3,085
Girard 2,789
Baxter Springs 4,238
Chetopa 1,125
Parsons 10,500

"Big" City Division
Topeka 233,870
KCK 145,786

Less Big Division
Leavenworth 35,251
Junction City 23,353
Liberal 20,525
Emporia 24,916
Garden City 26,658
Dodge City 27,340
Hutchinson 42,080

Suburb Division
Lansing 11,265
Haysville 10,826

Mid Size Division
El Dorado 13,021
Ark City 12,415

Small Town Division
Horton (pop 1,776)
Larned (pop 4,054)
St Mary's (pop 2,627)
Osawatomie (pop 4,447)
Oakley (pop 2,045)
Wellsville (pop 1,857)

Village Division
Westmoreland (pop 778)
Nickerson (pop 1,070)
Burlingame (pop 934)

Very interesting approach. It reminds me of a developing tournament bracket. Is that where we're headed, Reboulet? If so, it's a bit unbalanced in numbers, so who will get the crucial first round byes? :dance:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #367 on: December 26, 2012, 11:08:20 PM »

Very interesting approach. It reminds me of a developing tournament bracket. Is that where we're headed, Reboulet? If so, it's a bit unbalanced in numbers, so who will get the crucial first round byes? :dance:

I don't think Jeff Reboulet gets any say in the matter.
:adios:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #368 on: December 29, 2012, 08:27:13 AM »
Fanningbrag slogan nominee

Wakeeny: It's Affordable.

Offline tnuss

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 30, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
My high school league from best to worst. I might be forgetting a few, but none of these places are worth remembering.

Hillsboro: Clean living people close to McPherson which is one of the better towns in KS
Hesston: More clean living people with decent jobs
Lindsborg-Smoky Valley: People dedicated to their Swedish culture, weird but not messy

Wichita-Collegiate: actually idk where this goes, probably #1

Hoistington - Just a town on K-4
Haven- Ahead of the curve for declining rural towns
Sterling - Boring people doing drugs for ANY sense of excitement
Ellinwood - Oily yet poor
Marion - Always got a hillbilly feel from these people

Nickerson: My god. A suburb of Hutchinson. Voodooville would be a more appropriate name. Poor and mean.
nice job forgetting lyons

Offline Lemonrock

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 30, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »
Colwich and Garden Plain tie. Nothing respectable in either town really, and the parade in Garden Plain is some of the dumbest crap I have ever seen, ever. Worse than ku football this year, simply deplorable.
S.outhern ignorance +
E.astern arrogance =
C.onfernce hatred

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Best Town in Kansas
« Reply #371 on: January 06, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »
GC won this thing like a week ago, you meade supporters need to build a bridge

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Best Town in Kansas
« Reply #372 on: January 07, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »
GC won this thing like a week ago

agreed

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 07, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »
 :shakesfist:

Offline 88wildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 07, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
DNR entire thread but I'm sure Emporia got some good play

It has two Braums which automatically disqualifies it.  Besides the glory days of the entire town smelling like burning cow hide due to IBP are long gone.