Author Topic: 2nd worst town in Kansas  (Read 103868 times)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #250 on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »
Now I just want to see photoshops of city limit signs and post cards with awkwardly true assessments of the nominated town.

There is a sign on I-70 that says "WaKeeney: It's Affordable". Always struck me as a pretty sad boast.

So, WaKeeney is for sale?  :excited:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 18, 2012, 11:37:31 PM »
Small towns, at least the ones that aren't completely dying, seem to get better the farther west you go. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Shoeless Joe Jackson

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 18, 2012, 11:47:01 PM »
Now I just want to see photoshops of city limit signs and post cards with awkwardly true assessments of the nominated town.

There is a sign on I-70 that says "WaKeeney: It's Affordable". Always struck me as a pretty sad boast.

:lol:

"We're Poors"

Lehigh - "Small, but it's home."

Lincoln - "Free Land"

A place so horrible they give you a free piece of land to put your trailer on.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 18, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »
They have post rock history ahole!

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #254 on: December 18, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »
DNR entire thread but I'm sure Emporia got some good play

everyone focused on much smaller towns. i think we need to break it down into town sizes and state quadrants personally but felix apparently wants nothing to do with it.

No. I am board with this. Four quadrants and a 4A system?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Shoeless Joe Jackson

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 19, 2012, 12:02:06 AM »
Actually many of the towns listed in this thread just give away land.  Do other states do this? :dunno:

Kansasfreeland.com

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2012, 12:09:02 AM »
What a treat of a thread. Thanks for this, Felix.

It's great because so many of us who have been around Kansas know exactly the feeling...when you're in some little (or medium-sized) town somewhere in Kansas and you suddenly think to yourself: "Dear lord. There are people who actually live here. I couldn't imagine...in a million years..."

Those co-op towns that are DQ'd tend to depress me the most because there used to be more going on there and now there are zero businesses, but people still live there in old houses that sell for $15,000, and you wonder, "what do these people do to make money?" Sure, some of them farm, but there are more houses in there. Greeley is a good example of this. I guess maybe folks go into Osawotamie or Garnett to work.  :dunno:

SEK does seem to be the worst in a lot of ways, though. How about those KDOT signs along highways like US 169 that say "attractions" and then list things like "Sleep Inn" or "Dairy Queen"?  Oof.

There are some good jobs in small towns, and small town life really isn't that bad if you have enough money to live large. Something I have noticed, at least in southeast Kansas, is that most of the people who have good jobs live a few miles outside of town.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2012, 12:28:07 AM »
What a treat of a thread. Thanks for this, Felix.

It's great because so many of us who have been around Kansas know exactly the feeling...when you're in some little (or medium-sized) town somewhere in Kansas and you suddenly think to yourself: "Dear lord. There are people who actually live here. I couldn't imagine...in a million years..."

Those co-op towns that are DQ'd tend to depress me the most because there used to be more going on there and now there are zero businesses, but people still live there in old houses that sell for $15,000, and you wonder, "what do these people do to make money?" Sure, some of them farm, but there are more houses in there. Greeley is a good example of this. I guess maybe folks go into Osawotamie or Garnett to work.  :dunno:

SEK does seem to be the worst in a lot of ways, though. How about those KDOT signs along highways like US 169 that say "attractions" and then list things like "Sleep Inn" or "Dairy Queen"?  Oof.

There are some good jobs in small towns, and small town life really isn't that bad if you have enough money to live large. Something I have noticed, at least in southeast Kansas, is that most of the people who have good jobs live a few miles outside of town.

That was a good post, Nuts. I must agree with it. Especially the "live large" part. Accurate, very accurate.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »
Quinter.

this is weird.  just 5 minutes ago my mom wanted to know if i wanted to go see some traveling peter pan play in sacremento and that she got tickets cause her secretary's cousin is from quinter kansas and is in the play.

never heard of quinter before this.  did not accept the tickets.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 19, 2012, 01:22:12 AM »
Herington, Nichols and McVeigh holed up there while they were planning the bombing. Terrible, nasty Dairy Queen.

Any town located within Osage County. Scranton probably takes the cake. The Trop, woof.

St Marys, with the ex-communicated catholics and that weird clothing donation thing on the north side of 24.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2012, 01:56:03 AM »
So, NE, NW, SE, and SW divisions too much? Seems like it. Maybe just a NE, SE, and West division. What's the population division? 1A-under 2.5k, 2A-2.5k to 10k, 3A-10k to 25k, 4A, 25k plus?

This seems like a lot of work. Someone else do it and post.

Also, Pecan Capital of Kansas is the current leader for best fanningbrag. "It's affordable" is tops in "lowest self-esteem/will probably sleep with you on first date".
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2012, 02:28:17 AM »

:lol:

"We're Poors"

Lehigh - "Small, but it's home."

Lincoln - "Free Land"

A place so horrible they give you a free piece of land to put your trailer on.

There is a certain goEMAW poster that will NOT enjoy your post
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 19, 2012, 02:40:31 AM »
Does anyone know if Potwin is a crappy place to live?  I know they have a large feedlot just southwest of town.  Could qualify under chunkles rule.

there is a VERY cool neighborhood in topeka called potwin.  it's got like brick streets and tons of beautiful houses from the 1800's.  would totally live there.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 19, 2012, 07:05:10 AM »
Greeley is a good example of this. I guess maybe folks go into Osawotamie or Garnett to work.  :dunno:
Greeley had an all-nude strip bar for a while. Probably lost a lot of jobs when it closed down.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 19, 2012, 07:07:39 AM »
In Oswego there are signs that say the city will pay you $3000 to build a house there.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 19, 2012, 07:18:15 AM »
all of Jackson county
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 19, 2012, 07:22:03 AM »
Small towns, at least the ones that aren't completely dying, seem to get better the farther west you go.

It's because they have to be self sufficient because there are no large towns to feed off of out there.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 19, 2012, 07:25:47 AM »
dear god, sorry you all have wasted so much of your day.  I couldn't post until just now.  Anywho:

JFC IT'S LARNED

does your 2nd worst town have two feedlots on either side of it, producing a fine dusting of crap smell no matter which direction the wind is blowing? 
What is missing in your oh so horrible, yet non-crap smell town? 

El Dorado, LOL (lived there. it smells, but not like crap) has a community college and an awesome lake. NOPE.
Rush Center is pud but doesn't smell like crap.  NICE TRY ASSHOLES
Those swedish towns have these cathedrals that are like a mile tall that people enjoy. They also don't smell like crap.  OUT.
Great Bend is called Great Bend because of the river that bends within the town.  It has a river.  Smells shitty sometimes... river auto-disqualifies.
Ark City is bad.  Blackface mayor guy from a few years ago, desperately tries to be in Oklahoma, yet no discernable crap smell. eff OFF THEN.
Dodge City.  Very tempting choice.  Pig crap smell is worse than cow crap.  Still, history and new cultures are fun, right?
lest we forget Kansas City Kansas is in Kansas.  Raceway/legends is basically Edwardsville, so eff off.  That said, no unavoidable crap smell.

Larned.  Nothing to see there.  Fort Larned is like other boring forts, except when you're done visiting you just go back to smelling crap all day in a boring crap-smell town.  Funfact: Larned has no funfacts because it is goddamn full of shattered dreams and constant crap smell.
Horton disagrees with you.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 19, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »
SE quadrant is the worst overall. I don't think it is even close, although the fact that Horton is in the NE quadrant made me hesitate.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 19, 2012, 07:31:29 AM »
I'm surprised nobody has nominated Salina yet

Rankings of mid-sized Kansas Cities without major colleges. 

Best to worst:

Salina > Hutchinson > Garden City > Dodge City

I was going to make an argument on Hutch being in front of Salina, but the Salina Mall vs the Hutch Mall /Empty Ghost Mall is probably worth enough points to push Salina back in front. But there is a large gap between Hutch and Garden City.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »
osawatomie.

like 3 mcdonald's in the history of the world have failed. and osawatomie was home to one of them.

Didn't the McDonalds in Lyons fail as well?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 19, 2012, 07:38:42 AM »
SE quadrant is the worst overall. I don't think it is even close, although the fact that Horton is in the NE quadrant made me hesitate.

No way. Western KS is terrible.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 19, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »

Western KS smells like money. SE KS smells like ass.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 19, 2012, 08:16:31 AM »
Smell matters, but I can hardly see how it could be the deciding factor for worst city when 25% of Kansas smells exactly the same.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 19, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »

You need to make a distinction between NW and SW. NW is ok (pburg), SW is total garbage and the worst place on earth.