Author Topic: Documentaries  (Read 33294 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Documentaries
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2016, 10:12:17 PM »
well, i guess that's something

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2016, 11:08:25 PM »
Just watched Every Brilliant Thing and I thought it was dull. My wife and fil loved it though. What you see in the preview is exactly what it is for an hour.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
PBS currently has a 2 hour Frontline in rotation titled "Exodus".  It follows a handful of refugees/migrants trying to get to Europe from Syria, Afganistan, and Africa.  It's really good. 

My PBS shows it showing again at 1:00am Friday, but I'm not sure if that matched other areas PBS schedule.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »
PBS currently has a 2 hour Frontline in rotation titled "Exodus".  It follows a handful of refugees/migrants trying to get to Europe from Syria, Afganistan, and Africa.  It's really good. 

My PBS shows it showing again at 1:00am Friday, but I'm not sure if that matched other areas PBS schedule.

yes, i watched this last night and it was very good

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
This one about AAU basketball is pretty good: http://www.atallcostsmovie.com/

Netflix.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2017, 03:11:55 AM »
Gleason. My goodness, it was excellent. Not sure if I would say its better or worse than OJ: Made in America, just different. Weiner will be next, apparently one of those three will win the academy awards for best doc. Also I guess some people paid Amazon up to $19 to see Gleason, that's crazy, why not get prime if you're already paying for that?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2017, 07:47:22 AM »
i watched containment last night, it was very good
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/containment-full-film/

Part observational essay filmed in weapons plants, Fukushima, Japan, and deep underground, and part graphic novel, Containment weaves between an uneasy present and an imaginative but troubled distant future, exploring the idea that over millennia, nothing stays put.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »
Currently watching blackfish. Orcas are my favorite animal. I'm growing to hate SeaWorld

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »
This weekend I watched the HBO documentary about the Eagles of Death Metal Show in Paris at the Bataclan theater during the terror attacks. It was very good. Very heart wrenching. The lead singer Jesse Hughes is a giant right wing look at me douche now.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »
Would you recommend it? I remember hearing about it from Chino of Deftones and how they had to cancel their show

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2017, 11:33:40 AM »
This weekend I watched the HBO documentary about the Eagles of Death Metal Show in Paris at the Bataclan theater during the terror attacks. It was very good. Very heart wrenching. The lead singer Jesse Hughes is a giant right wing look at me douche now.

This was great. Not sure how you took away anything political from it though. People can be defined by things other than left/right

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2017, 12:26:35 AM »
night will fall was pretty good.  like a documentary of the making of a long-shelved (70+ years) british documentary of the liberation of concentration camps which was done by hitchcock among others.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2017, 12:46:05 PM »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
Gleason. My goodness, it was excellent. Not sure if I would say its better or worse than OJ: Made in America, just different. Weiner will be next, apparently one of those three will win the academy awards for best doc. Also I guess some people paid Amazon up to $19 to see Gleason, that's crazy, why not get prime if you're already paying for that?

can i watch this on a flight and not cry

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »

This was great. Not sure how you took away anything political from it though. People can be defined by things other than left/right
None of his douchery was documented in it. The doc its self was awesome. I was just aware of his issues going in. They were pretty much thrown off all the Summer tours last year cause of him.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
if you people don't watch The Birth of Sake on Netflix by the end of the weekend I will seppuku in protest

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »

can i watch this on a flight and not cry

I did not cry and I cry when I watch movies and TV shows a lot, there were some uncomfortable moments though. I cried like a baby when watching Straight Outta Compton on a British Airways flight, made the woman sitting next to me very uncomfortable.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »

Watched the first five minutes and made a mental note to watch it on HBOGo so I could instead watch This Was The XFL 30 for 30, which was airing at the same time. The XFL doc was very lolzy and fun, btw.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
icarus is p good.  russia and putin are crazy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »
So is Gustav Graves.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »
the red pill.  it's on amazon prime.  i was expecting some good lols about the reddit group, but this whole thing was about something adjacent to that.  It's about men's rights activists and a lot of their positions were fairly legitimate.  the feminist spokespeople interviewed looked very bad in this.  a self proclaimed feminist woman made the doc, and her feelings as the film go on are interesting and could really apply to any number of issues about how hard it is to see the "other side" if you have no real world experiences to relate with the other side about.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2017, 08:48:26 PM »
im really interested in watching it too, thanks for the review.    The male feminist's in the 8 minute preview were cringeworthy characters to say the least.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
UVerse has a documentary on their channel Audience called The Sign about how some people think September 23 is the start of the tribulation or rapture because of Revelations 12.  It covers both sides.  I don't know why those ideas are so fascinating to me.  I watched 10 minutes & what I saw was pretty interesting.  The biggest proponent is well known in those circles, is in Jerusalem now waiting for it, & sounds exactly like Tim Brando.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:39:21 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »
https://www.abacusmovie.com

Caught this on Frontline the other night.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2017, 05:52:06 AM »
Ken burns Vietnam started last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk