Author Topic: Don't blame oscar for Rodney  (Read 8633 times)

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
Re: Don't blame oscar for Rodney
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
why is everyone under the impression that Rod is an amazing basketball player? he's never been dominant at any level, not even back in high school.
what were you watching during conference play last year?  When he was healthy Rod was great

i was watching the same team you were. he can perform really well, but he's never sustained it for long periods of time (a full season). Rod's not "the guy". never has been. and great? no, he's never been great. Beasley was great. Pullen was great. Rodney is OK. you can delude yourself into thinking that oscar ruined Rodney but the fact is that Rodney was never a great commodity to begin with.

Who thought Rodney was Beasley or Pullen?  God rough ridin' damn guy, what a horrifically stupid strawman-y talking point.  Start over and try again.

Umm, how about you go back and look at bolded part. i brought up Beasley and Pullen because he obviously needed to be reminded of what greatness at the college level (specifically in the context of recent KSU basketball) looks like. what did i say that was wrong? Newsflash: Rodney isn't great and you shouldn't expect him to be.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »
why is everyone under the impression that Rod is an amazing basketball player? he's never been dominant at any level, not even back in high school.
what were you watching during conference play last year?  When he was healthy Rod was great

i was watching the same team you were. he can perform really well, but he's never sustained it for long periods of time (a full season). Rod's not "the guy". never has been. and great? no, he's never been great. Beasley was great. Pullen was great. Rodney is OK. you can delude yourself into thinking that oscar ruined Rodney but the fact is that Rodney was never a great commodity to begin with.

Who thought Rodney was Beasley or Pullen?  God rough ridin' damn guy, what a horrifically stupid strawman-y talking point.  Start over and try again.

Umm, how about you go back and look at bolded part. i brought up Beasley and Pullen because he obviously needed to be reminded of that greatness at the college level (specifically in the context of recent KSU basketball) looks like. what did i say that was wrong? Newsflash: Rodney isn't great and you shouldn't expect him to be.

Could it be that skipper has a definition of "great" than you.  Most people reading that would take Skipper meaning "great" in a general sense, you took that as a chance to compare Rodney to two of the greatest KSU basketball ever.  I don't think anyone who has ever watched basketball is trying to compare Rodney to Jacob to Mike.  You really told everyone though, grats. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »
Rod, when healthy is an all-B12 caliber player, first team not second team, I would consider that pretty great.  No need to compare him to GOAT type guys.  Even still, he is probably one of the top 10 basketball players we have had in the last 25 years or so.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »
Rod, when healthy is an all-B12 caliber player, first team not second team, I would consider that pretty great.  No need to compare him to GOAT type guys.  Even still, he is probably one of the top 10 basketball players we have had in the last 25 years or so.

He was unanimous first team all conference and he's very capable of playing that way because he's done it.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »
I'm sorry that I recognize Rodney for what he truly is - a decent basketball player. I hope that everyone can forgive me while I don't meltdown that he isn't leading us to dominating victories over A10 squads and also while I refuse to blame the head coach for him having a subpar night.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »

He was unanimous first team all conference and he's very capable of playing that way because he's done it.

That was pre-season, but yeah he is a really good player.  Def. capable of earning first team this season.  His 3 point shooting come around and he will be as great as ever. 

His FTR is concerning, but it has been his whole career.  I think we've talked about it before and everyone kind of came to the conclusion that while he does slash and drive he does so in a controlled manner aimed at making a field goal as opposed to looking for contact and trying to get fouled like Jamar or someone.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »

That was pre-season, but yeah he is a really good player.  Def. capable of earning first team this season.  His 3 point shooting come around and he will be as great as ever. 

His FTR is concerning, but it has been his whole career.  I think we've talked about it before and everyone kind of came to the conclusion that while he does slash and drive he does so in a controlled manner aimed at making a field goal as opposed to looking for contact and trying to get fouled like Jamar or someone.

What's frustrating about that is that he's explosive, or he used to be anyway.  His game is 100% predicated on jump shooting, he may as well be 5'11" with a 25 inch vertical.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »

this has almost nothing to do with talent. Rodney has crap tons of basketball talent but he lacks an indomitable will to win. oscar can't help him here.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
he's not a high ftr player.  never will be and shouldn't try to be.  his shot is that little one handed pull up thing.  he's strong enough to shoot it and it goes in a lot.  no reason to change.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Don't blame oscar for Rodney
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »

this has almost nothing to do with talent. Rodney has crap tons of basketball talent but he lacks an indomitable will to win. oscar can't help him here.

I love posts like this

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »

LOL, I completely disagree.  Rod is not a rah rah guy, he doesn't show much emotion.  I can assure you, his will to win is fine.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Don't blame oscar for Rodney
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »

I love posts like this

Indomitable will to win

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2012, 11:07:32 PM »
Brandon Paul looks like a completely different player.  Last year he looked like a jump shooting chucker when I saw Illinois.  He looks like a complete player now.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2012, 09:52:07 AM »
Big 12 POW!

:dance:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »
#INDOMITABLEWILLTOWIN

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
Big 12 POW!

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever seen, wow.  I know the Big 12 had a horrible week, but does that excuse just forgetting McLemore?

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
Big 12 POW!

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever seen, wow.  I know the Big 12 had a horrible week, but does that excuse just forgetting McLemore?

The Heisman may admit froshes now, but the P66 still has loftier standards.