Author Topic: _FANalysis from OSU: Enough Offense  (Read 2436 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
_FANalysis from OSU: Enough Offense
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: _FANalysis from OSU: Enough Offense
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 01:46:09 PM »
 :ksu:

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
Thanks _Fan!
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »
 :emawkid:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
Would you expect a Wildcat package this week considering Klein's injury?  I think it would make sense if we build a lead. 

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »
Thanks again, _Fan.

catzacker

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
Are we going to have to see Collin running more in our run game because the QB run will equal or provide an advantage in the  “numbers” against most stacked fronts? 

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »
What do you think Miller/Snyder saw in OSU that triggered the increase in QB run calls?
@mikec2w

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:43:39 AM »
Would you expect a Wildcat package this week considering Klein's injury?  I think it would make sense if we build a lead. 

With the success we had, and in an effort to minimize hits on Collin, I would expect to see it this week. Clearly it is something we've worked on, but really didn't think we needed with Klein, but I think seeing that Pease is a better runner this year than last will likely cause Snyder/Dimel/Miller to use it some this week.

Are we going to have to see Collin running more in our run game because the QB run will equal or provide an advantage in the  “numbers” against most stacked fronts? 
What do you think Miller/Snyder saw in OSU that triggered the increase in QB run calls?

I'd say these are related. It had to be a numbers thing this week, although I'm still surprised by the 2 to 14 ratio of RB to QB runs when Klein was in on lead/power plays. I'd even say its a valid complaint not to give Hubert/Pease a bit more of shot running the ball, even with a numbers advantage for OSU in the box. I think after the shots Klein took the offensive staff will change that ratio back to what we've seen more often in games this year.

The key thing is that regardless of what we ran, its easy to see how it set up play action passes and double moves by receivers in the drop back passing game. Teams are going to continue to load the box and try to get shots on Klein, so we're going to need to rely on the passing game even more down the stretch.

And should everything go how we want it, in January we're definitely going to have to throw the ball to win it.

Offline BigPapi

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »
_FAN,
Why do you think we have almost given up the use of empty sets? I really miss going quads.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
_FAN,
Why do you think we have almost given up the use of empty sets? I really miss going quads.

Good question. We ran 2 plays out of empty formations this week, both on the first drive of the game. The first was something we hadn't seen this year though; typically our empty formations use 5 wide receivers, but this time we had Tannahill and Hubert in the game. We split Tannahill with 2 receivers to the left side, with the 3rd receiver and Hubert split to the right and ran Klein on a draw. On third and 10 on the same drive we ran the same inside crossing route we used successfully with Thompson multiple times against OU, but the ball was tipped and he gained 7 yards. He likely would've been short of the first down even if the ball got out clean.

I don't know for certain, but I'm sure the staff sees the benefit of passing out of sets with 2 receivers because it compresses the defenses we're facing since most are trying to keep 8 in the box. Of course on 3rd and long empty sets have been an option, but we seem to have gone more to 4 wide sets, likely to keep a back in for blocking purposes. Plus we are leaking the back out more in those sets, which has given us some advantages as well. Also, 4 wide set allow for our inside zone running game which has been a pretty good play for us this year too.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
I think this was a really good win for the cats. After two big blow outs of top 15 teams, I think it was important that they were brought back down to earth. They struggled, did some things poorly, and still won by 14. I wouldn't expect the them to look like that again this season.

Sams did some good things when he was in the game, but the complexity of the K-state offense is one of it's greatest assets. I think its reasonable that he would struggle to find openings with the game being called the way it was. I don't really have a point. The end.