Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 313815 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »
I am one of those people that want doctors people to be rich as shazbot!. 

Why? I mean, I'd like everyone to be rich as shazbot!, as long as I don't have to pay for it.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »
well that is a much better answer than, "no, not really"

I'm (probably poorly) trying to commincate the idea that when an issue that you actually know something about comes up, it's like, "OMG THIS IS ALL BULLSHIT RHETORICAL PLATITUDES!"

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »
I don't think so. You can't say, "you can't have lifetime maximums" and that's that. You are going to have to spell out in hundreds of pages the specifics of what that means and how it will be applied. I mean, most people can look at their home owners insurance policy and think they understand their coverage and they don't. they are just reading their declarations page. if most people ever got into their T&Cs they would have no idea what was actually covered and what wasn't. but, you can't just ditch them. just like that policy, you can summarize what the main points are ie. no lifetime maximums, can't be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions, required to have coverage, etc.

This is why pretty much any contract is ridiculously large.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2012, 09:20:02 AM »
No, like this entire thread, if I evaluated each statement's veracity, my answer in each case would be, "No, not really.". For exaple, the idea that there is now more access to healthcare is false because deductibles are rising so fast that more and more people cannot afford them - especially those who couldn't afford heath insurance before Obamacare.  As a result, people don't go to the doctor even when they have insurance.

I could be wrong, but the intent isn't necessarily to get people to go to the doctor.   It's so that if you get cancer or have an emergency situation, you won't go bankrupt with a bill you can't pay.  Part of this thing working is assuming a bunch of healthy people required to purchase the mandate wouldn't actually go to the doctor.  It's how we pay for someone with chronic disease to get insured.

Some commercial insurance (I know mine does) creates an incentive for folks to engage in preventative activities like having physicals, health screenings, vaccinations, etc.  My insurance pays 100% of all wellness visits for my family.  Vaccinations are completely covered.  Premium deductions are leveraged for unhealthy activities like obesity and smoking.  Stuff like this is starting to gain more steam.

Honestly, a lot of people should go to the doctor less and take less prescription drugs.  So, if you're only going to the doctor for truly preventative activities and when you're really sick, we're all probably better off anyway.

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »
I think the fact that the insurance companies aren't fighting it's implementation tooth and nail is an extremely bad sign. System is currently effed, now more people will participate in the effed system. If they really hated it I would feel good about it.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »
I think the fact that the insurance companies aren't fighting it's implementation tooth and nail is an extremely bad sign. System is currently effed, now more people will participate in the effed system. If they really hated it I would feel good about it.

The insurance companies were only against it when there was going to be a single payer option. Now, they love the government mandating everyone buy their product. There are only a few real players left in the health insurance game.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »
if I evaluated each statement's veracity, my answer in each case would be, "No, not really".

evaluate mine.  i was pretty vague, so i don't think i'm running too much of a risk, but i want to see.

agree more than i can possibly express on how stupid everyone else sounds when they opine on something you know a shitton about.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
The Bull Snake is the toughest of all snakes

EDIT: this deserves it's own thread

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2012, 12:57:31 PM »
I am one of those people that want doctors people to be rich as shazbot!. 

Why? I mean, I'd like everyone to be rich as shazbot!, as long as I don't have to pay for it.

Oh, I don't know. I just like to think if you pay and go to school for 15 yrs and do something like save lives/arms, you deserve to make more than someone selling shoes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
Oh, I don't know. I just like to think if you pay and go to school for 15 yrs and do something like save lives/arms, you deserve to make more than someone selling shoes.

lmao.  everyone wants to blame insurance companies, lawyers, etc.  which is fine.  but our society's fetishization of doctors is a huge contributor to our ridiculous health care costs.

they don't go to school that long (and wgaf if they do, i've been in school my entire life, that makes me less employable, not more), they aren't particularly smart, they aren't particularly selfless and it isn't a particularly difficult job.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »

lmao.  everyone wants to blame insurance companies, lawyers, etc.  which is fine.  but our society's fetishization of doctors is a huge contributor to our ridiculous health care costs.

they don't go to school that long (and wgaf if they do, i've been in school my entire life, that makes me less employable, not more), they aren't particularly smart, they aren't particularly selfless and it isn't a particularly difficult job.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »
yeah, the AMA makes likes to control the number of available med students so they can keep their costs up. (keep in mind I am very uninformed and mostly speaking anecdotally).

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »

sys is very right about all of these things.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
yeah, the AMA makes likes to control the number of available med students so they can keep their costs up. (keep in mind I am very uninformed and mostly speaking anecdotally).

I have heard this, but I'm not sure if I believe it. Regardless, we need to increase the number of med students. There is absolutely no shortage of people who want to be doctors, which is why it is so laughable that people think we are going to have a doctor shortage because all of the doctors will just quit due to Obamacare lowering their profits.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »

sounds like we have two guys who should've went to med school but didn't. oh well.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »

sounds like we have two guys who should've went to med school but didn't. oh well.

Nope. Pretty soon Obama will make being a doctor too unprofitable. :lol:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »

you're worth every penny, daris.  i mean the other doctors.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »

:thumbs:

There are good ones, Daris.  There are good ones.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »
You guys are right. Screw those life savers. Minimum wage it is.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »

Why do libs assume that everything is all or nothing?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »

Why do libs assume that everything is all or nothing?

:thumbs:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
I now feel bad for saying mean things about Daris (and not knowing about it).

:frown:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
wikipedia is my most trusted doctor

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »
Daris went to med school?!  You think you know a guy....

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »
Also, is there anyway to hide this thread from Trim before he sees it? Last time we talked about this was the angriest I have seen Trim without him choking someone out. This time he may not be able to restrain himself.

Yeah, we did this already.  Also, courtPAK Monday morning very close to where you live.  Already have 1, maybe 2 goEMAW'rs going with me.