Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 318022 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2075 on: December 08, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
What metric would you suggest to evaluate a country's healthcare system? Life expectancy makes the most sense to me. :dunno: I take it the Canadians are living longer than we are, then? How do you explain that?

Lifestyle

Lifestyle, crime, motor vehicle accidents, occupations, differences in reporting live versus dead births.... Life expectancy is probably the worst metric for evaluating healthcare.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: December 08, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »
What metric would you suggest to evaluate a country's healthcare system? Life expectancy makes the most sense to me. :dunno: I take it the Canadians are living longer than we are, then? How do you explain that?

Lifestyle

Lifestyle, crime, motor vehicle accidents, occupations, differences in reporting live versus dead births.... Life expectancy is probably the worst metric for evaluating healthcare.

How about ranking them based upon quality, efficiency, access, healthy lives, and equity?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: December 08, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »

Lifestyle

How about ranking them based upon quality, efficiency, access, healthy lives, and equity?

Yes, those all sound easily quantifiable - I especially like the "equity" one. Better yet, this evaluation should be performed by a consortium of entities from single-payer countries.

It is extremely difficult to perform truly apples-to-apples comparisons, but one thing I might look at is long-term survival rate for various diseases. I might also look at who's traveling where to get the treatment they need. For example, people travel to America from all over the world to get treatment they can't or don't want to wait to receive in their own countries. Americans travel to other countries for cheaper drugs and experimental treatments prohibited by the FDA.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: December 08, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »
Is there hard data about canadians coming to the us for health care? So we can compare to the life expectancy data.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: December 08, 2014, 05:00:55 PM »
Is there hard data about canadians coming to the us for health care? So we can compare to the life expectancy data.

It's sort of difficult to compare since I don't think Americans can legally go to some country with better healthcare than we have to get the socialized treatment.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: December 08, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »
Rage, I don't think you quite understand the demographics of this country.  The cost of healthcare is due to the staggering number of idiots that live in this country.  It makes me laugh when people compare the US to Scandinavian countries as if we're similar to those countries in any way.  How does our healthcare system compare to China and Russia?  Those are easily the most comparable countries to ours.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: December 08, 2014, 06:14:50 PM »
I don't know enough about the various studies and the validity of their methods and metrics to offer an informed rebuttal, but suggesting that our health is poor because our healthcare is poor sort of begs the question, doesn't it?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2082 on: December 08, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
Anyone that thinks single payer is anything more than a race to the bottom is an ignorant bad person.  America isn't a bunch of white people that are A-OK living on $16k per year so long as there is eurorail and free condoms.  America is the people who left that psuedo-serfdom for something far better.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: December 08, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
Let's increase the supply of medical professionals to ease the demand. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: December 08, 2014, 07:46:49 PM »
I'll take single payer in exchange for a 30 hour work week and month long summer vacation.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: December 08, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »
eff yeah

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: December 08, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
That also might seriously reduce the supply of sick people. That and the #deathpanels.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2087 on: December 08, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »
I'll take single payer in exchange for a 30 hour work week and month long summer vacation.

And living with your parents until you're 35 when you've finally saved up enough for a 550 sq/ft condo.  It's a meaningless life lived in comfortable poverty. You'd make 50% more doing nothing here.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: December 08, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
It's nice to know I can take a breather occasionally, have a nice dinner with the family, maybe watch a little TV, and then come back on duty to find that FSD has been owning the libtards in my absence.  :cheers:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: December 08, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
Moot point.  Republicans will have fixed now that they are in charge

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: December 08, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »

Did you realize that Obama is still El Capitan? Maybe Congress should issue some sort of "Legislative Action" that unilaterally repeals Obamacare?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: December 08, 2014, 08:47:20 PM »
I'll take single payer if it comes with Oktoberfest.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: December 08, 2014, 08:48:58 PM »

Did you realize that Obama is still El Capitan? Maybe Congress should issue some sort of "Legislative Action" that unilaterally repeals Obamacare?

I think they can override a veto.  Someone might need to confirm
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: December 08, 2014, 08:50:42 PM »
They'll write it over the next two years and it'll be ready for jeb to sign.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: December 08, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
The future of American Single-Payer, also known as Universal Medicaid. Half of all doctors listed as serving Medicaid patients are unavailable, investigation finds

But hey, I guess that means that half are!  :thumbs:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: December 09, 2014, 12:00:16 AM »
The future of American Single-Payer, also known as Universal Medicaid. Half of all doctors listed as serving Medicaid patients are unavailable, investigation finds

But hey, I guess that means that half are!  :thumbs:

luckily we'll never go to single payer

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: December 09, 2014, 12:55:27 AM »
Eurorail sounds great, sign me up.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: December 09, 2014, 06:10:33 AM »
Everyone is wasting breath.  The republicans are fixing this and I'm certain that we'll have an outline by the end of the summer.

The candidates will have to have the outline in time to campaign with it.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: December 09, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
Everyone is wasting breath.  The republicans are fixing this and I'm certain that we'll have an outline by the end of the summer.

The candidates will have to have the outline in time to campaign with it.

Like this? http://www.nationalreview.com/agenda/371090/patient-care-act-vs-obamacare-reihan-salam

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: December 09, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »
sure.