Author Topic: OFFICIAL WELCOME Westicles THREAD!!!  (Read 13032 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: OFFICIAL WELCOME Westicles THREAD!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »

.. I think it just means he may not be an immediate impact guy, but, he's got the tools to do something down the road.

Plus, another kid in the TX pipeline, heckuva a lot of players coming from down there these days and Houston area is certainly no exception.

I think we are going to have to get used to this strategy, betting on having 4-6 upper classmen every year that have developed.  It's kind of a "mid major" approach, but it seems like it could work, particularly given the steady increase in talent in Texas.

Well, if there's any time to implement this strategy, it's now due to our depth.

Angel still having three years is really going to allow us to be flexible with our roster the next few years.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 09:10:52 AM »
we definitely need to bring in a new staff if we want a roster composed of 4 and 5 star studs sprinkled with a few high rated 3 stars to serve as role players.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »
The thing is, we've got around 15 reported scolly offers for the class  of  '14, every single 1 of those prospects is ranked in either the Top 100 or 150 of some recruiting service.

As of right now, 3 scollys available for that class, looks like we're swinging for the fences.  :crossfingers:

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
we definitely need to bring in a new staff if we want a roster composed of 4 and 5 star studs sprinkled with a few high rated 3 stars to serve as role players.

Who should we hire to sprinkle in a few top 150 recruits?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 09:26:44 AM »

i don't know.  my focus is only on the best of the best, the creme de la wooldridge 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »

.. I think it just means he may not be an immediate impact guy, but, he's got the tools to do something down the road.

Plus, another kid in the TX pipeline, heckuva a lot of players coming from down there these days and Houston area is certainly no exception.

I think we are going to have to get used to this strategy, betting on having 4-6 upper classmen every year that have developed.  It's kind of a "mid major" approach, but it seems like it could work, particularly given the steady increase in talent in Texas.

I feel like Texas is probably a better bet for DITR recruiting than Illinois, if anything a lot of Illinois talent is over-hyped.  oscar's few out-of-state recruits at IL were exclusively DITR-types.  Chester and Mike Davis worked out more or less.  Rich Semrau and C.J. Jackson did not.  :dunno:  Pray none of them are TCs.  It'll metastisize so fast your rough ridin' head will spin off. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »

i don't know.  my focus is only on the best of the best, the creme de la wooldridge

Yeah.   :frown:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 09:49:39 AM »

I feel like Texas is probably a better bet for DITR recruiting than Illinois, if anything a lot of Illinois talent is over-hyped.  oscar's few out-of-state recruits at IL were exclusively DITR-types.  Chester and Mike Davis worked out more or less.  Rich Semrau and C.J. Jackson did not.  :dunno:  Pray none of them are TCs.  It'll metastisize so fast your rough ridin' head will spin off.

That tends to be the case in a state of 25 million people.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »

That tends to be the case in a state of 25 million people.

Maybe they need to stop being such lazy dicks and get some more recruiting analyst guys out there watching and hyping Texas players.  Only tends to be the case on account of dereliction.  Served you right up. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »

I believe this is the approach many around here advocated with Frank after it became clear he wasn't landing any more Beasley/Walker types. Or even McGruder/Judge types. However, he kept taking flyers on ridiculous transfers. I didn't mind the D1 kids that needed a change of scenery because he hit home runs with Clemente and Kelly, but the fridge JUCO kids were annoying. I hope oscar doesn't try to go that route and continues landing 3 star types, hopefully most are Top 150 guys. I'd hope we can land some 4 star kids once in a while as well. IMHO you can win that way if you build the right mentality into your program.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
I would like to see a star come through (who wouldn't) but other than that I don't ming a class including Westicles and Foster

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »

I believe this is the approach many around here advocated with Frank after it became clear he wasn't landing any more Beasley/Walker types. Or even McGruder/Judge types. However, he kept taking flyers on ridiculous transfers. I didn't mind the D1 kids that needed a change of scenery because he hit home runs with Clemente and Kelly, but the fridge JUCO kids were annoying. I hope oscar doesn't try to go that route and continues landing 3 star types, hopefully most are Top 150 guys. I'd hope we can land some 4 star kids once in a while as well. IMHO you can win that way if you build the right mentality into your program.

With oscar, I don't think the highs will be as high, but I don't think the lows will be as low.  I think, on average, it will be a steady stream of 100-200 ranked kids.

I'm interested to see what happens with the 2014 class.  This isn't a bad class, all things considered, when they've been working on relationships with these kids for five months or less.  Unless you're one of a handful of coaches, you won't just step into a non-traditional powerhouse and recruit a high four-star or five-star kid without laying the groundwork on a relationship (or that's my belief, anyway).

UW pointed out that we're really swinging for the fences in 2014.  My guess is that for 2012, oscar took what he could get, for 2013, they tried to get some "good", and in 2014, they're going for "great".

This was kind a strategic class, IMO.  Two Texas kids (one from the Metroplex, one from Houston), one from Indiana (where we seem to be hitting it hard), and we're hitting the prep schools with Atewe and Patterson (who has Indiana ties).  It may not have been designed that way, but it seems to be working out that way.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »
With oscar, I don't think the highs will be as high, but I don't think the lows will be as low.  I think, on average, it will be a steady stream of 100-200 ranked kids.

when you sit and think about it, frank's lows were ridiculously stupid recruiting errors that someone in his position shouldn't have been making.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »

why not just say steady stream of 1-200 ranked kids? it would make oscar and the staff look even better and wouldn't be any more factually inaccurate than saying 100-200 when he still hasn't landed a top150. food for thought pan.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »

why not just say steady stream of 1-200 ranked kids? it would make oscar and the staff look even better and wouldn't be any more factually inaccurate than saying 100-200 when he still hasn't landed a top150. food for thought pan.

He's top 150 on ESPN, and Bossi said both Foster and Westicles were just out of the Rivals 150, which leads me to believe they were at least in the next 50.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
I am pleased with Iwandu, given the review from Bossi.  Weber deserves credit for getting him, IMO.  He's 150 ESPN and Bossi says he's very close to 150 Rivals. 

Now, I expect at least one more in this class with a similar evaluation, and two more for 2014.  That's my expectation....two per year.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
Is he adorable?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »
I just quit team burnitdown.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »

We haven't even played a season yet.  You should at least give the team a chance before quitting.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »
I am pleased with Iwandu, given the review from Bossi.  Weber deserves credit for getting him, IMO.  He's 150 ESPN and Bossi says he's very close to 150 Rivals. 

Now, I expect at least one more in this class with a similar evaluation, and two more for 2014.  That's my expectation....two per year.

Hey guys, I'm all for the positive EMAW but I don't know where the "Westicles is in the ESPN Top 150" talk started but, unfortunately it's not true.

ESPN doesn't even rank players up to 150, they stop at 100.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

Westicles's "75" ranking might put him on the fringe if they extended their rankings to 150 but it's tough to say.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2306

Bossi's comments about his versatility and upside are encouraging. I am hoping for the best.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 02:10:33 PM »
And Foster... (could the headband be making a return to the OOD?)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »

We haven't even played a season yet.  You should at least give the team a chance before quitting.

Oh this was good. This was very very good.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
a big 12 program, signing randomly from a pool of big 12 recruits, would have a 3.8% chance of signing five consecutive recruits unranked by rivals.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."