Author Topic: Photography Related Thread  (Read 4712 times)

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
Photography Related Thread
« on: September 14, 2012, 05:06:28 PM »
Ok, let's give this a shot.  Talk photography and equipment, or share good photos that you or someone else has taken.

I'll kick it off by talking about my beginner strobist setup I'm trying out.

I ordered 2 old Nikon sb-24 flashes
This kit from B&H
A wireless shutter trigger
Still looking around for the right set of wireless flash triggers.  I don't want to spend the money for a pocketwizard yet so I'm probably going to go with Yongnuo rf-602.

All together I'll have about $250 in it.  This is usually a portrait type setup but I'll be using it for product photography as well as trying to get interesting shots using the flashes off camera.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Photography Related Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
put it on auto. GO TO TOWN!

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »
Looks like you've got a good starting point.  I don't like the swivels that came in that kit very much though.  These are way better.  At the very least consider replacing the cold shoes with something like this.

Really the only addition that I think that you really need are some gels.  Those things are extremely useful.  I mean there's lots of other stuff that you can get to flesh out that kit, but you can get to all that later.

From the other thread I know that you are looking at the strobist blog, which is by far the best place to start with this stuff.  But like pretty much anything else, the most important thing you can do is practice.  I'm sure you'll be a regular Greg Heisler in no time.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:26:25 PM »

Are you still doing the travel blog?  If so are you taking any pictures? 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 05:27:54 PM »

haha, well, I guess. I did three blog posts and quit and me and rick daris were supposed to discuss our strategy and figure out a posting schedule but then we didn't.  and, yes, I take a lot of pictures of hotel rooms and airplanes and other travel stuff.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »
Looks like you've got a good starting point.  I don't like the swivels that came in that kit very much though.  These are way better.  At the very least consider replacing the cold shoes with something like this.

Really the only addition that I think that you really need are some gels.  Those things are extremely useful.  I mean there's lots of other stuff that you can get to flesh out that kit, but you can get to all that later.

From the other thread I know that you are looking at the strobist blog, which is by far the best place to start with this stuff.  But like pretty much anything else, the most important thing you can do is practice.  I'm sure you'll be a regular Greg Heisler in no time.

Thanks, I definitely need to get some gels and that reminded me.  I'm usually someone who likes to buy nice stuff the first time around but I needed this pretty quick for a project I'm working on so this will have to do for now.  I'll take a look at those other links and probably get them soon once I get the hang of things.

Do you have a flickr or anything that has some of your strobist work?

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »

haha, well, I guess. I did three blog posts and quit and me and rick daris were supposed to discuss our strategy and figure out a posting schedule but then we didn't.  and, yes, I take a lot of pictures of hotel rooms and airplanes and other travel stuff.

Did you post it on here and I missed it?  Point me to it again, I can't remember the url.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »

Did you post it on here and I missed it?  Point me to it again, I can't remember the url.

IT'S A SECRET, SHUT UP JVON  :shakesfist:

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 05:39:39 PM »

Thanks, I definitely need to get some gels and that reminded me.  I'm usually someone who likes to buy nice stuff the first time around but I needed this pretty quick for a project I'm working on so this will have to do for now.  I'll take a look at those other links and probably get them soon once I get the hang of things.

Do you have a flickr or anything that has some of your strobist work?
Don't get me wrong, the stuff that you have will work.

My pictures are kind of all over the place.  I'd post some, but they're mostly of people I like and/or am related to, and I'm afraid that people on here might be mean.  :ohno:

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »

IT'S A SECRET, SHUT UP JVON  :shakesfist:

If the posters here only knew what went on behind the scenes, I mean...

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »
My pictures are kind of all over the place.  I'd post some, but they're mostly of people I like and/or am related to, and I'm afraid that people on here might be mean.  :ohno:

If you find any without people post them up.  I'm trying to think of a few interesting shots to take on campus at night with the strobes.  The Ernie Barrett statue would be easy, but not all that cool probably.  If you think of something let me know.

Offline ECN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »
have you messed with long exposure shots yet?

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »

Hey, I started writing you a message on facebook the other night to talk photography and then realized I didn't have anything important to say so I stopped.

Have you checked out the Jardine post on ksunews?  I had to do quite a bit of long exposure stuff there and you'd probably like the spinning globe shot.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
i took a photography class. learned all about the rule of thirds. and lighting and all that crap.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »
i took a photography class. learned all about the rule of thirds. and lighting and all that crap.

I needed you in the construction thread when I was trying to explain why I made my wainscoting 2/3 the height of the room.

Offline ECN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »

Hey, I started writing you a message on facebook the other night to talk photography and then realized I didn't have anything important to say so I stopped.

Have you checked out the Jardine post on ksunews?  I had to do quite a bit of long exposure stuff there and you'd probably like the spinning globe shot.
havent seen it yet. you got a linky?

Offline ECN

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 09:33:13 AM »
nm. i saw them. NICE work man.

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »

If you find any without people post them up.  I'm trying to think of a few interesting shots to take on campus at night with the strobes.  The Ernie Barrett statue would be easy, but not all that cool probably.  If you think of something let me know.

I took this one about 6 years ago, not long after I got my first SB800.  If I were doing it today, I'd use a softbox held just out of frame to soften the light, and I'd probably use either a 1/2 or full CTO gel to get a closer match of the light to the sunset.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
I'd just stand there and blast away on "auto" and rough ridin' nail that shot

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:03 PM »
OT, my mom still doesn't understand that you need to hold the camera button down so it can focus. She still thinks she should be able to press the button and "snap", photo. She keeps telling me to look for a digital camera that can do that.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 02:34:23 PM »
OT, my mom still doesn't understand that you need to hold the camera button down so it can focus. She still thinks she should be able to press the button and "snap", photo. She keeps telling me to look for a digital camera that can do that.

Get her one of those Lytro cameras.  Match made in heaven.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »

I took this one about 6 years ago, not long after I got my first SB800.  If I were doing it today, I'd use a softbox held just out of frame to soften the light, and I'd probably use either a 1/2 or full CTO gel to get a closer match of the light to the sunset.

Very cool, that's kind of what I had in mind if I start testing on campus. 

I got 4 yongnuo triggers today.  One for the camera, one for each flash, and one to use as a shutter trigger and they work great so now I'm just waiting on the stands and umbrellas.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »

It isn't just older people either.  I'm always surprised how many people pick up a new camera and mash on the button like it's a disposable.

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »
Screw it.  This post will end with a picture I took this weekend of someone that I may or may not either like and/or be related to.  This thread will suck a lot if pictures of such people never get posted in it. 

But first a strobist style step by step walk through of what I did to make the picture.  Think photography related FANalysis, and skip to the end as appropriate.

A request was made to me to produce a KSTATE0 picture of a tiny EMAW.  What that person wants, that person gets.  I decided that I would use a powercat flag as the backdrop.  I didn't want to just expose the tiny EMAW and the flag with the same light, because that would produce a flat, boring picture, and I wanted to do something a little more exciting (no offense auto-blasters!).  In order to get some working distance between the background and the subject, I selected a 105 mm lens (I shoot with a Nikon D300, so this lens has an angle of view equivalent to a 158mm lens on a FF camera).

I clamp the flag between a couple of light stands, and then place my camera on a tripod, and frame the powercat how I'm going to want it.  I select a flash friendly f5.6 at ISO 400 because my key light is going to be an SB800 into a large modifier, and I don't want to have to fire that at full power in order to reduce cycle time between pops.  From there I select a shutter speed of something like 1/40.  I would like to get a little more ambient for fill, but don't want my shutter speed any slower than that.  I take an exposure to check how things are going so far.

Yup, dark.  Well, I'm not going to get any ambient fill, but on the bright side, I won't have to worry about the ambient polluting the color temperature.

I want to focus the light on the powercat, so I put an 8" snoot on an SB800, zoom the flash its maximum amount, and set it at 1/64 power, figuring that I won't need much light to get the exposure that I want, and knowing that I'm going to get a fair amount of spill from my key light later on.  So, what does it look like?

Oops, looks like I missed.  I do like how rapidly the light rolls off though, so I just need to change my aim a little.

Much better.  Of course when I put my subject in I'm not going to be focused on the flag, so let's see what the background is going to look like with a stand-in in place.

Not bad.  So now it's time to figure out the key.  Here I'm going to use a second SB800 with a 1/4 CTO under its diffusor dome bounced into an obnoxiously huge 60" softlighter ii.  The gel will add a little warmth to the EMAW.  I'm going to count on wrap-around from my big modifier to alleviate the need for fill. Which is good, because I'm out of light stands, so I won't be able to use a reflector.  I guess at 1/4 power, and this is what I get.

Not too much spill onto the background.  The bear's nose is a little hot, but the little EMAW won't be that white, so I'm not too worried.

Here are a couple of pictures I took with my phone of the set-up:

The only thing left to do is to bring in the little EMAW, and an assistant to make sure that he doesn't fall off those two boxes that I'm using as a posing stool, and take a fantastic picture.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 04:49:22 PM »
[long post]

Should have included an auto blast for comparison.
:adios: