Author Topic: Bill Nye (The Science Guy) Big Times Kansas Rubes and high fives Darwin  (Read 13956 times)

Offline Pittcat

• Resident Purveyor of Above Avererage Staplers.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Nye (The Science Guy) Big Times Kansas Rubes and high fives Darwin
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2012, 08:07:06 AM »
Also created to exist down there.   :dunno:

just skim through this   http://www.rae.org/pdf/revev5.pdf

i'm never going to claim to be an expert on this.  i'm neither a scientist or a pastor. 

but i'm not going to stick my head in the sand and believe that evolution is true because some scientists claim it is; because there are such glaring holes in evolution.

Think of it this way fun muffin: Tommy Tuff Nuts Ugly Fish (and his family, of course) are kind of loaners.  So they decide to get away and go deeper into the ocean.  They start to swim down, when all of a sudden they're like "whoa, the pressure's getting mighty intense, we better stop here.  So Tommy and his family reside at that depth for a while.  During that time some of Tommy's family dies. (sad really) What happens to the dead, lifeless uglyfish body you ask?  Well it falls to the depths of the ocean where it's unstrengthened skeletal structure is crushed by the intense pressure.  (Ya see what just happened there?)

Over the years Tommy's family (descendants at this point) keep going deeper and deeper.  All the while developing strengthened skeletons.  Unitl finally, Tommy Tuff Nuts Ugly Fish Descendants have a strong enough skeletal structure to reside at the bottom of the ocean.  It took awhile, but Tommy's family finally got away from those prick non-ugly fish that kept FI'ing the crap out of his kids.  Slowly but surely, over many many years, this family of fish developed the ability to withstand extreme pressure. 

Pretty basic stuff really.  I used to not like peas, but as I've aged, my taste for them has evolved. 
3021  RIP

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
I'm not comfortable with Pittcats attempt at explaining evolution.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:22 AM »
I'm not comfortable with Pittcats attempt at explaining evolution.

I liked some of it, especially:
got away from those prick non-ugly fish that kept FI'ing the crap out of his kids 
:adios:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »

i'm never going to claim to be an expert on this.  i'm neither a scientist or a pastor. 

but i'm not going to stick my head in the sand and believe that evolution is true because some scientists claim it is; because there are such glaring holes in evolution.
Are you from the South?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »
Fun muffin, do you think that these scientists that have spent their entire careers rigorously studying the theory of evolution are trying to pull a fast one on us?  Do you think they somehow have something to gain by saying they have more confidence in this than they actually do?  Many have reconciled evolution with their belief in god or an original creator so most are not trying to discredit that idea. Almost none in the field believe in the young earth theory that posits a creator creating species nearly as they are today.

The scientific community doesn't have quite as much confidence in the earth being billions of years old and life evolving from single-cell organisms as they do in the theory of gravity, but its pretty close.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
NOT JUST GIRAFFES

One of the most bizarre of all fish is the anglerfish, a deep-water fish which can live more than a mile under the surface. This strange creature has a structure growing out of its head that resembles a fishing rod. On the very tip of this “rod” is a worm-like structure that has an incredible function: it can produce light! This wonderful light-producing organ is held close to the mouth of the anglerfish. Smaller fish are attracted to the light, thinking that it is a food source. When they try to eat the “food,” they become the next meal of the hungry anglerfish!

The anglerfish’s light poses a problem for evolution. Evolutionists might attempt to state that it evolved gradually over long periods of time. Since the anglerfish relies so heavily on its fishing system for food, however, an underdeveloped or non-functioning light would probably lead to the fish’s starvation. The light itself is extremely complex. Involving the compound Luciferin and the enzyme Luciferase, it is remarkable in that it produces no heat[13]. Tireless research has been spent on these two substances (Luc-iferase was found to contain more than 1000 proteins!), but still no one knows for certain how the light is made[14].

Another interesting part of the anglerfish is its body structure. It is specially built to withstand the immense pressures it encounters in the depths of the ocean. The anglerfish lives where the pressure is around 2000 pounds per square inch, but it suffers no damage; it was designed to live in this environment. This prevents a regular fish from evolving into an anglerfish; if it somehow sank into the depths to begin its evolution, it would be crushed! In short, the anglerfish could not have evolved from another animal; it was an anglerfish from the start.

Great example of how the angler fish evolved to avoid it's predators.  The off-spring of each generation developing tolerances to the pressure as they breed and thus avoiding predation and breeding with another, equally adept anglerfish.  Evolution marches on undaunted.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »
NOT JUST GIRAFFES

One of the most bizarre of all fish is the anglerfish, a deep-water fish which can live more than a mile under the surface. This strange creature has a structure growing out of its head that resembles a fishing rod. On the very tip of this “rod” is a worm-like structure that has an incredible function: it can produce light! This wonderful light-producing organ is held close to the mouth of the anglerfish. Smaller fish are attracted to the light, thinking that it is a food source. When they try to eat the “food,” they become the next meal of the hungry anglerfish!

The anglerfish’s light poses a problem for evolution. Evolutionists might attempt to state that it evolved gradually over long periods of time. Since the anglerfish relies so heavily on its fishing system for food, however, an underdeveloped or non-functioning light would probably lead to the fish’s starvation. The light itself is extremely complex. Involving the compound Luciferin and the enzyme Luciferase, it is remarkable in that it produces no heat[13]. Tireless research has been spent on these two substances (Luc-iferase was found to contain more than 1000 proteins!), but still no one knows for certain how the light is made[14].

Another interesting part of the anglerfish is its body structure. It is specially built to withstand the immense pressures it encounters in the depths of the ocean. The anglerfish lives where the pressure is around 2000 pounds per square inch, but it suffers no damage; it was designed to live in this environment. This prevents a regular fish from evolving into an anglerfish; if it somehow sank into the depths to begin its evolution, it would be crushed! In short, the anglerfish could not have evolved from another animal; it was an anglerfish from the start.

Great example of how the angler fish evolved to avoid it's predators.  The off-spring of each generation developing tolerances to the pressure as they breed and thus avoiding predation and breeding with another, equally adept anglerfish.  Evolution marches on undaunted.

LOL look at Tom over there with that stupid deformity on his head! Lets call him RUDOLPH!!!!

crap guys, I'm pissed at Tom. That stupid deformity makes it really easy to catch and eat other fish and Now he's bigger and stronger then us. In fact I'm pretty sure my GF is cheating on me with him.

Welp its official, half of me and ms angler fish's kids now have Tom's deformity. At least it will be easier for them to catch fish and survive. THEY STILL LOOK STUPID THOUGH.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2012, 09:34:38 AM »
so baffling that so many people are like fun muffin.

why can't you believe in evolution and god?  unless you take the bible as a literal word-for-word, and then you're just a dumbass.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2012, 09:36:08 AM »
Reading that kid's poorly constructed theories (I prove things by indirect proof!) does more to prove evolution than disprove it.  Poor kid was done a pretty big disserive by his parents.

Reading his theories on the marsupials shows he doesn't even acknowledge that Pangea existed.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »
high fives to god for being smart and holy and beautiful enough to create evolution!

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »
high fives to god for being smart and holy and beautiful enough to create evolution!

That's like, your opinion, man

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »

My indirect proof says otherwise.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
But srsly, I've watched enough ancient aliens to be sure that god delegated the creation of life on earth to his alien bros.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »

actual quote:

Since there is no significant advantage to the trap forming by itself, I would rather believe that God created it as a curiosity.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
My go to debate topic with the idiots around me in the south is always the Ark.

For real. Dude lives 600 years and builds a boat big enough to house a pair of EVERY type of animal on earth.  They even know where the boat landed and haven't found it.

Then of course I bring up black people and holy balls the  :opcat: makes me LOL(literally laugh out loud in their faces).
:dance:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2012, 10:11:03 AM »
My go to debate topic with the idiots around me in the south is always the Ark.

For real. Dude lives 600 years and builds a boat big enough to house a pair of EVERY type of animal on earth.  They even know where the boat landed and haven't found it.

Then of course I bring up black people and holy balls the  :opcat: makes me LOL(literally laugh out loud in their faces).

I don't think we are debating whether the bible should be taken literally, but I'm sure that would be funny.

Offline Pittcat

• Resident Purveyor of Above Avererage Staplers.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
But srsly, I've watched enough ancient aliens to be sure that god delegated the creation of life on earth to his alien bros.

This.  And weird hair dude emphatically agrees. ('cept maybe about the God part :dunno:)
3021  RIP

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
Normally evolution takes thousands and thousands of years, making it unobservable in a single life time. But this happened:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080421-lizard-evolution.html

Lizards Rapidly Evolve After Introduction to Island
Kimberly Johnson
for National Geographic News
April 21, 2008

Italian wall lizards introduced to a tiny island off the coast of Croatia are evolving in ways that would normally take millions of years to play out, new research shows.

In just a few decades the 5-inch-long (13-centimeter-long) lizards have developed a completely new gut structure, larger heads, and a harder bite, researchers say.

In 1971, scientists transplanted five adult pairs of the reptiles from their original island home in Pod Kopiste to the tiny neighboring island of Pod Mrcaru, both in the south Adriatic Sea.

Genetic testing on the Pod Mrcaru lizards confirmed that the modern population of more than 5,000 Italian wall lizards are all descendants of the original ten lizards left behind in the 1970s.

(Related: "Evolution's 'Driving Force' Shifts Based on Behavior, Study Says" [November 16, 2006].)

Lizard Swarm

While the experiment was more than 30 years in the making, it was not by design, according to Duncan Irschick, a study author and biology professor at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.

After scientists transplanted the reptiles, the Croatian War of Independence erupted, ending in the mid-1990s. The researchers couldn't get back to island because of the war, Irschick said.

In 2004, however, tourism began to open back up, allowing researchers access to the island laboratory.

(Read: "Kayaking the New Croatia" in National Geographic Adventure Magazine.)

"We didn't know if we would find a lizard there. We had no idea if the original introductions were successful," Irschick said.

What they found, however, was shocking.

"The island was swarming with lizards," he said.

The findings were published in March in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Fast-Track Evolution

The new habitat once had its own healthy population of lizards, which were less aggressive than the new implants, Irschick said.

The new species wiped out the indigenous lizard populations, although how it happened is unknown, he said.

The transplanted lizards adapted to their new environment in ways that expedited their evolution physically, Irschick explained.

Pod Mrcaru, for example, had an abundance of plants for the primarily insect-eating lizards to munch on. Physically, however, the lizards were not built to digest a vegetarian diet.

Researchers found that the lizards developed cecal valves—muscles between the large and small intestine—that slowed down food digestion in fermenting chambers, which allowed their bodies to process the vegetation's cellulose into volatile fatty acids.

"They evolved an expanded gut to allow them to process these leaves," Irschick said, adding it was something that had not been documented before. "This was a brand-new structure."

Along with the ability to digest plants came the ability to bite harder, powered by a head that had grown longer and wider.

(Related news: "Komodo Dragon's Bite Is 'Weaker Than a House Cat's'" [April 18, 2008].)

The rapid physical evolution also sparked changes in the lizard's social and behavioral structure, he said. For one, the plentiful food sources allowed for easier reproduction and a denser population.

The lizard also dropped some of its territorial defenses, the authors concluded.

Such physical transformation in just 30 lizard generations takes evolution to a whole new level, Irschick said.

It would be akin to humans evolving and growing a new appendix in several hundred years, he said.

"That's unparalleled. What's most important is how fast this is," he said.

While researchers do know the invader's impact on its reptile brethren, they do not know how the species impacts local vegetation or insects, a subject of future study, Irschick said.

Dramatic Changes

The study demonstrates that a lot of change happens in island environments, said Andrew Hendry, a biology professor at Montreal's McGill University.

What could be debated, however, is how those changes are interpreted—whether or not they had a genetic basis and not a "plastic response to the environment," said Hendry, who was not associated with the study.

There's no dispute that major changes to the lizards' digestive tract occurred. "That kind of change is really dramatic," he added.

"All of this might be evolution," Hendry said. "The logical next step would be to confirm the genetic basis for these changes."

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »

why can't you believe in evolution and god?  unless you take the bible as a literal word-for-word, and then you're just a dumbass.

OK Cat i'm not as closed-minded as you might think.  i'm still young and learning.  i have chosen to focus more on the Gospel and following Jesus than how we got here.  and forgive me for throwing evolutionists in with the same people who despise God.  the only evolutionists i know don't believe in God.  so forgive me for throwing you guys in the same group.

maybe you're right and evolution is the way God created life. i am open to the idea.  i don't know how He did it and i repeat i don't claim to know.  this is where faith comes in and sadly most of you stop reading.  what i do know is how God has changed my life and the lives of others.

i am going to continue to do more research, and please by all means post things that support evolution that i can mull over. 

saul i'm from the 316. 

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »
do you think that a guy really was inside of the stomach of a whale and lived to tell about it?

do you really think that a guy built a big boat and put 2 of every animal on it?

guess this discussion is heading somewhere else at this point

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »

OK Cat i'm not as closed-minded as you might think.  i'm still young and learning.  i have chosen to focus more on the Gospel and following Jesus than how we got here.  and forgive me for throwing evolutionists in with the same people who despise God.  the only evolutionists i know don't believe in God.  so forgive me for throwing you guys in the same group.

maybe you're right and evolution is the way God created life. i am open to the idea.  i don't know how He did it and i repeat i don't claim to know.  this is where faith comes in and sadly most of you stop reading.  what i do know is how God has changed my life and the lives of others.

i am going to continue to do more research, and please by all means post things that support evolution that i can mull over. 

saul i'm from the 316.

Yeah, where do you live now? I think you've devolved.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »

This blows my mind. Absolutely blows it. Are you home-schooled?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
I think anyone who believes in the literally interpretation of creation, as fabricated in the book of Genesis, is a mother rough ridin' idiot...or not sane. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
I also believe that the notion of God and the notion of evolution are not mutually exclusive.

You can have God and have evolution.  You just can't have dinosaurs and a 5,000 year old planet.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2012, 10:53:45 AM »
I also believe that the notion of God and the notion of evolution are not mutually exclusive.

You can have God and have evolution.  You just can't have dinosaurs and a 5,000 year old planet.

Hey now, the Grand Canyon was carved in a few thousand years.
:dance: