Author Topic: Republicans hate playing by the rules, try and silence RP - still expect votes  (Read 6802 times)

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Pathetic crooks, criminals, and liars. The Republicans are trying to sweep Ron Paul under the rug and then still expect his supporters to bow down and lick Romney's toes. GMAFB. Yet another reason to stay home in November and not worry about the election.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/republican-convention-ron-paul_n_1822985.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

TAMPA, Fla. -- A Republican Party procedural committee on Wednesday moved to ensure that supporters of Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) would be unable to nominate the congressman from the floor of the GOP convention next week, but ultimately backed away from the measure.

Nonetheless, the deliberations signaled that the Republican Party and Mitt Romney's presidential campaign remain nervous to some degree about the potential for Paul supporters to disrupt the carefully scripted program for the four-day convention next week.

The Republican National Committee Rules Committee considered a motion to change the number of states a candidate needs to nominate him from the floor from five to 10. Paul supporters have captured a large number of delegate seats -- in a few cases the majority -- in at least seven states: Maine, Iowa, Minnesota, Nevada, Louisiana, Massachusetts, and Oregon.

However, a Paul insider told The Huffington Post that they have a majority of delegates only in three states.

The Paul campaign told CNN that its count indicates that 373 of the 2,286 delegates support Paul. Some of those delegates are bound by state rules to vote for Romney. However, the state rules binding delegates to the presidential nominee do not apply to vice president, leaving open the possibility that Paul delegates could nominate an alternative to Romney's running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) from the floor.

But the Paul insider said that the Texas congressman does not want to be nominated for vice president.

The Romney campaign reached an agreement with the Paul campaign to seat contested delegates in Massachusetts and Louisiana this week, but delegates in Oregon remain contested.

John Ryder, an RNC committeeman from Tennessee, proposed the threshold change from five states to 10 to nominate a candidate from the floor. But Morton Blackwell, a committeeman from Virginia, rose and spoke vigorously in opposition to the measure.

"Increasing it to 10 is I think a choke operation," Blackwell said. "And would discourage people from participating within our Republican Party."

"All we are talking about here -– let's put it frankly -- is the possibility that somebody like Ron Paul would be denied the possibility, after he carried five states, to have his name placed into nomination," Blackwell said. "This is a very bad idea. And we have got to, in this party, treat newcomers fairly."

"This would be taken as a slap in the face to grassroots people," he said.

Ryder agreed to change the number back to five states, but the amendment passed with one change intact: delegates must indicate in writing at least one hour before the vote who they intend to nominate.

That requirement ensures that if delegates who support Paul plan to vote for the Texas congressman -- either for president or vice president -- in the roll call vote of the states, they will have to give the Romney campaign and the RNC advance notice.

Blackwell told The Huffington Post afterward that he felt "very strongly" that the Paul supporters who "play by the rules" need to be treated fairly. He said his own experience as a supporter of Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.) in the 1964 presidential election informed this view.

"I've been through this before," the 72-year old Blackwell said. "I was Goldwater's youngest elected delegate in the nation. And people said we were extremists and racists and we could never be incorporated into the party. Wrong."

Ryder said he proposed the rule change because "the function of a convention now is much more about the party expressing its vision for the country."

"So the focus is to get away from some of the residue of the 19 century," he said.

"We're way past the time when you had uncommitted delegates and favored sons and smoke-filled backrooms. So with virtually the delegates coming to the convention bound by state law through either a primary or a caucus, the result is a foregone conclusion," he said.

"If you've got somebody who has five states or six states, and that's all they've got, you know, and the result is a foregone conclusion, and you know who's got a majority because you've counted the votes. ... We already know what the vote count's going to be, so unless you've got a real contest, where you've got two candidates or three candidates who really have a chance of winning, then why do we want to go through the exercise?"

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
JFC Pike
 :facepalm:

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
If he really wanted to help the country, he would go to the democratic convention and run as a democrat.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
If he really wanted to help the country, he would go to the democratic convention and run as a democrat.

:dubious:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick

The only repub primary he won was the MN primary, so yeah, you nailed it.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
what the eff

When their candidate received any delegates in the state-by-state roll call, Paul's supporters delivered loud cheers. However, convention organizers ultimately made a decision to stop calling out the Paul delegates.

That decision was met with furious cries from Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering. When states listed delegate votes for both Romney and Paul, party officials at the podium listed only the votes assigned to Romney, who secured enough delegates Tuesday to officially clinch the GOP nomination.

At one point, delegates from Maine walked off the convention floor in protest of a Republican National Committee decision to replace 10 of the 20 delegates Paul had secured in the state. That move prevented Maine from submitting Paul's name for nomination.

:sdeek:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
what the eff

When their candidate received any delegates in the state-by-state roll call, Paul's supporters delivered loud cheers. However, convention organizers ultimately made a decision to stop calling out the Paul delegates.

That decision was met with furious cries from Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering. When states listed delegate votes for both Romney and Paul, party officials at the podium listed only the votes assigned to Romney, who secured enough delegates Tuesday to officially clinch the GOP nomination.

At one point, delegates from Maine walked off the convention floor in protest of a Republican National Committee decision to replace 10 of the 20 delegates Paul had secured in the state. That move prevented Maine from submitting Paul's name for nomination.

Yeah, the process is working really well for all of us.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
eff you republicans eff you  :curse:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
what the eff

Yeah, the process is working really well for all of us.

Nothing to see here, move it along. The machine rolls on.
:adios:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Yeah, Paul should run as a democrat. He would probably be treated better.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I agree.  I know a lot of people whose order of preference in this election is Paul / Obama / Romney.  If he wasn't pro-life it would probably be even more common.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

This isn't the point.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

lol at this being your defense

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile

I agree.  I know a lot of people whose order of preference in this election is Paul / Obama / Romney.  If he wasn't pro-life it would probably be even more common.

if a lot of people liked ron paul, then he would get the nomination.  but he didn't, because there aren't.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

if a lot of people liked ron paul, then he would get the nomination.  but he didn't, because there aren't.

This isn't the case.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile

This isn't the case.

it is absolutely the case.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

This isn't the case.

No. RP was shut down by the Republican establishment, and are now echoing some of his platform to try and make his followers happy. (which of course is lol)

He has millions of people that like him. He even has a million likes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/ronpaul

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

This isn't the case.

No. RP was shut down by the Republican establishment, and are now echoing some of his platform to try and make his followers happy. (which of course is lol)

He has millions of people that like him. He even has a million likes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/ronpaul

Yeah, it is the case.  When I said a lot of people, I just meant there were several I could think of, not a large percentage of the people I know.

So a few million people like him.  There are hundreds of millions that think he is a crazy person.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
ron paul wasn't screwed out of anything, he's just an old nutcase that a small percentage of people like, and most of those people also happen to be nutcases. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
ron paul wasn't screwed out of anything, he's just an old nutcase that a small percentage of people like, and most of those people also happen to be nutcases.

nutcases still get to vote and should have their votes and delegates counted. if we start kicking people out of having voting rights for being nutcases, weirdos, dumbasses, losers, etc. it'll end up being me and like 6 other people voting. 

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

This isn't the case.

Yeah, it is the case.  When I said a lot of people, I just meant there were several I could think of, not a large percentage of the people I know.

So a few million people like him.  There are hundreds of millions that think he is a crazy person.

That's still a significant number. The Republicans shunning of grass roots activism is the latest installment of killing Democracy in America.

He's a nut case because people are told that he's a nut case. People have been living in this status quo R vs D system for so long that they don't even know a decent human being when they see one. Now look who we're stuck with. (R) Puppet vs (D) Puppet

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
this isnt just about Ron Paul. Its about real people having a voice. The tea party is also pissed about this, and they should be. You can forget about people making a difference. Tea Party -nope. Occupy - see ya. Just take the mainstream bull crap they feed you and shut up